The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:39 am 
Site Admin

AEinhorn wrote:
There's a strong chance that my daughter's birthday party will be that weekend. There are some things more important.

Bring her along. We'll get cake. Problem solved.

I mean seriously, can you even THINK of a better birthday party? :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:58 am 

VitruvianZeke wrote:
AEinhorn wrote:
There's a strong chance that my daughter's birthday party will be that weekend. There are some things more important.

Bring her along. We'll get cake. Problem solved.

I mean seriously, can you even THINK of a better birthday party? :)

She'll be FIVE. Yeah, I think that might not be wise. She'd enjoy herself. But I doubt the rest of the marathoids would enjoy having her there after the first movie.

:)

But we might do her party the following week. So, we'll see.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:25 am 

L.A. Connection wrote:
Lord knows the Boston edition of the Marathon has it's problems! But, at least there is a Definite Date Every Year. 37 years and the only tiny tiny variance was one year where it was Saturday-Sunday, not Sunday-Monday.

I know that folks who live out of town Really REALLY need a definite date to point to. People here have posted several times about this. Tying it to a holiday (like President's Day) helps a ton. Maybe Memorial Day weekend?

It doesn't help that there seems to be this "doom and gloom" approach to the Sci-Fi Marathon where every year we wonder if it's actually going to happen. I know for a fact this is not the fault of Bruce (or Joe) many times in the past I have actaully thought "this could be the last year" or "I bet there is not going to be one this year" and having a permanant date set in stone would help ease those fears.

As L.A. Connection stated either President's Day or Memorial Day Weekends would be perfect!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:30 pm 

Jaws3dfan wrote:
As L.A. Connection stated either President's Day or Memorial Day Weekends would be perfect!!

My problem with establishing it on either president's day or memorial day weekend is that those are generally pretty quickly spoken for by a myriad of other things. I think trying to host the marathon on one of those weekends could legitimately hurt attendance.

Honestly, speaking as someone who's been attending for about 6 or 7 years now, and as someone who's even missed a marathon due to scheduling conflicts, I can deal with a slightly more fluid date as long as the 'thons keep coming!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:58 pm 

The date feels too late for some people. Why not in sometime in November or December to pick a date?

As attendee of small children birthday parties. (I've two nephews and one neice.) We celebrate their birthdays the weekend before their birthdays.

True there are more important things than sitting in a theater for 24 hours. I missed one of the Horror marathons over at the Grandview due to a last minute hardware install.

I do wish the current owners and the powers at be pick a set date every year. Why not work with the Grandview to hold both?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:38 pm 

mm405416 wrote:
Jaws3dfan wrote:

My problem with establishing it on either president's day or memorial day weekend is that those are generally pretty quickly spoken for by a myriad of other things. I think trying to host the marathon on one of those weekends could legitimately hurt attendance.

Honestly, speaking as someone who's been attending for about 6 or 7 years now, and as someone who's even missed a marathon due to scheduling conflicts, I can deal with a slightly more fluid date as long as the 'thons keep coming!

Well, Boston's done it for 37 years on President's Day and it rarely comes up as a problem for folks. The benefit is that most people have a day off to help recover from the event on that Monday.

But, sure any weekend with a set date is fine. How about COLUMBUS Day? Sounds appropriate, no???? :wink: :wink: :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:20 am 

Not that I think anyone was particularly on the edge of their seat about whether or not I'm attending, but we've decided to hold her party on Sunday, after the marathon. I may cut out during the last film to shower and shave before her party, but I'll be there.

I'll be late arriving, possibly, however. Cincinnati's Walk Now For Autism is that morning, so I may not be down until I'm done, if things work out for me to be there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:52 am 

AEinhorn wrote:
Not that I think anyone was particularly on the edge of their seat about whether or not I'm attending, .... but I'll be there.

OMG dude I have not slept in days but now that I know you will be there I think I can finally sleep tonight Image

Seriously though it's cool you will be there!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

AEinhorn wrote:
Not that I think anyone was particularly on the edge of their seat about whether or not I'm attending, but we've decided to hold her party on Sunday, after the marathon. I may cut out during the last film to shower and shave before her party, but I'll be there.

Awwwww ... I was kinda hoping for cake. :(

Still, great news. Not sure what we'd do without you. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:16 pm 

VitruvianZeke wrote:
Still, great news. Not sure what we'd do without you. ;)

End up with one less overly detailed recap of the event, and possibly one fewer ad in the program? ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:02 am 

This year's marathon will only miss Cinevent (http://www.cinevent.com/) by one week. That was a close call and makes for an expensive May.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:11 pm 

As the representative of a couple of minorities on this board, I would like to state an appreciation for this year's date.
I have never been to a Columbus/Ohio Marathon , but do intend to be there this year.
On the other hand I have attended Cleveland/CWRU for 23 years and this year doubled the fun by attending Boston.
An earlier marathon following the above January & February events would be a little much. And later dates run into the summer, causing other problems.
Any possibility of regularizing the date or at least announcing it earlier would help advance planning or (in my case) getting others to make a commitment to make the journey.
Difficulties precluding earlier announcement/regularizing the date are understandable, but it would be pretty helpful.
ed. I do understand that the Drexel has final say, but deep inside their cultish hearts, are they not capitalists? Do they not at some level bleed green? Should be some sort of financial guarantee that would get them to commit by the start of the year.
So when & where can I but tickets?

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

Last edited by pogo on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:27 pm 

pogo wrote:
So when & where can I buy tickets?

Hi Pogo, Glad to hear you will be attending your first Ohio Sci-Fi Marathon, as for when & where you can buy tickets...you will need to Stay Posted to this board for more Breaking news, or Follow the marathon on Twitter @ohiomarathons

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:06 am 
Site Admin

pogo wrote:
Difficulties precluding earlier announcement/regularizing the date are understandable, but it would be pretty helpful.
ed. I do understand that the Drexel has final say, but deep inside their cultish hearts, are they not capitalists? Do they not at some level bleed green? Should be some sort of financial guarantee that would get them to commit by the start of the year.

But, of course, you're trying to use logic. Ha! What a dreamer. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:04 am 

pogo wrote:
I have never been to a Columbus/Ohio Marathon , but do intend to be there this year.
On the other hand I have attended Cleveland/CWRU for 23 years and this year doubled the fun by attending Boston.

Don't be discouraged if you see some familiar titles in the first few films announced. It seems like there's usually 1-3 films that carry over from Boston to Columbus every year, but once the whole lineup comes out, there should be a lot of differences.