The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:08 pm 

willcail wrote:
To update the runtime it is about 976 +/- minutes

Based on recent sci-fi marathons, I'd expect another two-and-a-half to three hours of films added. Perhaps a single long one or two shorter ones.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:47 pm 

It seams that the Star Trek Doc The Captains just been added. According to the email I've got. It is 97 minutes long. Making the new runtime of 1073 minutes +/- or about 18 hours and 28 minutes +/-.

William Shatner for 97 minutes yes.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:58 am 

Let me just say that I am THRILLED that The Captains has been added. Looks like a blast and should be the exact opposite of last year's overly repetitive hate-fest. Sure, maybe Shatner's ego is what drove him to make this (I don't know, I obviously haven't seen it), but it looks like something good came out of it.

Even if there aren't many deep insights and its just Shatner chatting with Brooks, Stewart, Bakula, Mulgrew, etc for 90 minutes, I suspect I'll find it enjoyable. Hopefully non-Star Trek fans will find it watchable. (Though that said, one would hope that anyone claiming to be a sci-fi fan has at least watched most of the Star Trek shows, even if they're not their favorites.)

Thank you for adding The Captains.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:45 am 

The only ST series I skipped the majority of episodes was TGN. TGN is like watching C Span. Heck Enterprise was a better than TGN. Now DS9 is what a ST series should be.

Then the SW fanboys doesn't understand that the Star Wars Saga isn't theirs. It is the property of GL. If GL want to screw things up it is his right to do so.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:02 pm 

Overall, this is a solid 'thon. Sadly, I can't make it out there. (If this had been the Lineup LAST year - I would have come. Oh, well).

The only downside, is that it seems like that 5 of the films will be DVD (the 3 "Premieres", BATTLE ROYALE and GREEN SLIME). I hope the DVD projection system is given a good solid Test Run the day before (Boston has had major headaches with DVD projection!).

Another note to the Projectionist(s): Crank up the volume on BRAINSTORM - it's the same print that played Boston and it is very volume soft. It's a very interesting film to boot.

I'd love to see THEY LIVE one more time with an audience. It really doesn't work as a full film - but, has some sly subversive moments, not to mention one of the greatest, most realistic fistfights on film. REPTILICUS is a fun good-bad flick.

THE CAPTAINS is another quasi-"Premiere" since it's been out since last July and played on cable for months and you can watch it online. I'd like to catch it myself.

ATTACK THE BLOCK and SOURCE CODE weren't favorites of mine (they are ok), but they are good for a Marathon crowd and serve as the now seemingly mandatory "From Last Year" slot(s).

I hope the audience is primed for THE CREEPING UNKNOWN. I'm sure some will find it 'dated', but it's a deservingly regarded SF film from the criminally underrated QUATERMASS series.

Enjoy the show. Wish I could be there.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:43 pm 

A long overdue comment re BATTLE ROYALE.
The Cleveland Cinematheque showed it last month in a 35mm version.
I realize that art revival houses may have different access to specialized films, but then someone must have been willing to send a print to Ohio (the Cinematheque only shows 35mm at their main theater.)
And while I am on the subject, if anyone here is at all close to Cleveland, the Cine--- shows a extremely varied set of films. foreign, revival, cult, premieres - -
Next month (6/26) they are showing a double feature at the Capitol Theater, in my neighborhood, of An Evening With George Melies (A documentary plus several of his films) and Codependent Lesbian Space Alien Seeks Same
Their site is at: http://www.cia.edu/cinematheque but to really see what they are showing you should get their bi-monthly program.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:24 pm 
Site Admin

Are you sure that the Cinematheque screened BR on 35mm? Last I heard, Anchor Bay was only offering this release on Blu-ray, and I know that the CC advertises some of their Capitol shows as being digitally sourced.

Nonetheless, the more plaudits thrown the Cinematheque's way, the better. John Ewing and Tim Harry consistently program not only one of the best lineups in Ohio, but in the country as well. I don't get up there as much as I'd like, but suffice it to say that I'd kill to have the Cinematheque closer to here (and that's no knock on the generally strong programming at the Wexner Center.)

You post does bring up a key point, though. One factor to keep in mind when evaluating the titles that make it into the SF Marathon's lineup is that the Drexel currently doesn't have the ability to run a dual projector, reel to reel system. As a result, they're limited as to which 35mm archival prints they can play. Having that system at the Grandview, on the other hand, has been invaluable to assembling the lineup over the last few years, allowing us to screen rarities like Goke: Bodysnatcher from Helland the only domestic 35mm print of A Serbian Film (insert groan here.)

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:07 pm 

I will certainly ask John Ewing, however it is my understanding the the CIA theater only has the ability to screen 35mm.
You are correct about the Capitol. Both the Melies & the Codependent Lesbian - - - are being shown Blu-Ray. Probably why they are not at the regular venue.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:54 pm 

Joe is correct (....like a broken clock, I guess....) :wink:

BATTLE ROYALE had a weeklong run here in L.A. and it was Blu Ray. Did a little digging on the Cleveland Screening and it was Blu Ray as well: http://www.clevelandmovieblog.com/2012/ ... oyale.html

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:28 am 

Thanks LAC,
I was wrong. John Ewing has made a point about 35mm showings at the Cinematheque. I did not see this showing , so I did not realize that it too was at the Capital rather than the CIA. They only showed two movies there last yea,r where now they are up to that many a month. Thanks for the correction.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:41 pm 

I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this, but Electroma has NO Daft Punk music in it.