The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:59 am 

cleazer wrote:
Jaws3dfan wrote:
Electroma - Never heard of Daft Punk or their music but will keep an open mind.

Did you see Tron legacy? That was pretty much 100% them.

Ok cool, guess I do know some of their stuff. The music in Tron Legacy was really good.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:01 am 

bar2b2 wrote:
If you're keeping score, officially it's:

THEY LIVE, THE CREEPING UNKNOWN, SOURCE CODE, BRAINSTORM, ATTACK THE BLOCK, ELECTROMA, REPTILICUS - 35mm

BATTLE ROYALE - blu-ray - Okay, start arguing about which version to show.

THE GREEN SLIME - DVD - Yes, we struggle for survival in the infected remains of a diseased video universe - welcome to the future!

A rare post from the Host Organizm :P
I say the Directors cut for BATTLE ROYALE.
I don't care that THE GREEN SLIME is a DVD it's still a fun movie and the marathon crowd will love it. Wonder what time slot THE GREEN SLIME will be in?????

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:36 am 

How about the Morgan Sperlock Comic Con documentrary? Plus the Director's Cut of Battle Royale can filled a two hour block with ease.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:40 am 

If we're going for a Blu-Ray of BATTLE ROYALE anyhow, I say why not go for the director's cut?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:06 am 
Site Admin

I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with the lineup. Some of it was expected (ATTACK THE BLOCK's been making the rounds, and everyone knew about BATTLE ROYALE a while ago.) Glad to see BRAINSTORM again, haven't seen it since its DVD release, I think.

It will be good to see THEY LIVE finally get its shot, but for my money there's still another Carpenter sci-fi that's never shown which is by far a better work. But hey, chewing bubble gum and kicking ass. Can't go wrong there.

SOURCE CODE is pretty good. Would have preferred that we corrected the MOON debacle from a few years ago, but I can live with this.

ELECTROMA I can't speak to, not having heard much, but REPTILICUS ... YAY!

I hope people enjoy THE CREEPING UNKNOWN. I've been a huge fan of the Quatermass films for years, and this one JUST finally got re-issued by Warner Archives. British storytelling at its finest, and 35mm to boot.

Speaking of WA, the reissue of THE GREEN SLIME is good enough (finally) that even a DVD presentation will play well. The color reproduction is superb and showing that film in anything less than 1.85 loses way too much on the margins. Wouldn't be my first choice of format, but if we don't show it sometime I'll never get that song out of my head. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:42 am 

VitruvianZeke wrote:
for my money there's still another Carpenter sci-fi that's never shown which is by far a better work.

Starman, Darkstar, Ghost of Mars, Escape From LA?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

Jaws3dfan wrote:

Correction, two. I'd forgotten we've never shown DARKSTAR, since I have vivid memories of it at a CWRU marathon. Always confuses me. And there are only two out of that list I'd recommend that anyone see. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:37 pm 

VitruvianZeke wrote:
Jaws3dfan wrote:

Correction, two. I'd forgotten we've never shown DARKSTAR, since I have vivid memories of it at a CWRU marathon. Always confuses me. And there are only two out of that list I'd recommend that anyone see. :)

I liked Ghost of Mars and Escape From LA was ok, certainly not Carpenters best and not even in the same league as Escape From NY but it wasn't a terrible movie.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:11 pm 

What this Escape form L.A. film you speak of? :wink:

I do agree that the Green Slime must be in its correct format. The times that Turner Classic Movies air said film on Friday overnight-early Saturday morning it is the pan and scan version. I finally order the DVD.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:54 pm 

willcail wrote:
How about the Morgan Sperlock Comic Con documentrary?

I would be okay with that. Its probably far more entertaining than The People vs George Lucas. I think the Comic Con doc just opened, so there probably aren't many reviews out for it yet, but I'd be willing to take a chance.

That said, one premiere I'd absolutely love is IRON SKY. I know its out in some European countries now, but I don't know when its due to hit the US.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:36 pm 

cleazer wrote:
willcail wrote:
How about the Morgan Sperlock Comic Con documentrary?

I would be okay with that. Its probably far more entertaining than The People vs George Lucas. I think the Comic Con doc just opened, so there probably aren't many reviews out for it yet, but I'd be willing to take a chance.

That said, one premiere I'd absolutely love is IRON SKY. I know its out in some European countries now, but I don't know when its due to hit the US.

Yes to Iron Sky. No to docs playing. We've had 2 or 3 recently and we need to take a break from that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:53 pm 

How about this

El Cosmonauta

Plot What if you got back home… and there was nobody there? In 1975, the first Russian cosmonaut on the Moon is unable to make his way back and is declared missing in Space. However, through ghostly radio messages, he claims to have come back to Earth and found it empty, not a living soul. His unrealistic presence and his voice will little by little destroy the world of his beloved ones.

http://www.scifimoviepage.com/blog/movi ... -part-two/

http;//www.elcosmonauta.es

The release date is TBA so it does fit in the arty science fiction slot.
If Iron Sky is in the consideration of being booked don't be surprise if it video projected.

How about booking documentries that doesn't have a distrobution deals.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

As Bruce has so mercifully pointed out to me, DARK STAR did indeed play at SF01.

I apologize profusely for the error. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:38 am 

"I wonder" who runs the Hall of Marathonia website? I thought some person who goes by the username VitruvianZeke runs said site. :wink:

Don't forget John Carpenter did directed The Ward. The Ward hasn't make an appearence at the Horror Marathon.

Since this post was elevated to sticky status is it now ok to call this the official 2012 Film Lineup comment section?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

Done, and DONE. And yeah, just because I built the webpage with the info doesn't mean I have it all committed to memory. That's really Joe's job. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next