The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gotta Get Back in Time!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

And you thought she was awesome in Wild At Heart...

So no, we don't have a date yet for the Sci-Fi Marathon. And no, we don't have any official film titles to announce. But you know what we do have? Each other. Not to wax all peace, love and popcorn on y'all, but sometimes amidst the bitching and moaning...er, I mean spirited debating that goes on here, we sometimes tend to forget that this cinematic thing of ours has birthed many a good friendship...or acquaintanceship....or passing nod at 3am to that guy who always seems to wander around in front of the screen. And after all, aren't those connections, no matter how casual they may be, the main reasons we keep coming back? If the crowd was populated with legions of unrelenting jackasses, we wouldn't even be on this board right now, right?

But it's not just the bonds that we've established at the Marathons that cement our continuing collective passion. It's the memories that many of us have shared together. Some of you have detailed stories about the quality of the pretzels at the Drexel North, some vividly recall the crowd reaction to Don't Ask, Don't Tell at the Arena Grand, and privileged few of us will never forget Pickerington teenagers diving off the stage during the screening of Alice Cooper's Welcome to My Nightmare at the Marcus Cinema complex (see Tim, I'm still lookin' out for ya!)

And so, this thread. In the past, I've tried to milk this general topic in various focus areas to various effects. But this time, I'm throwing the...um...milking doors(?) wide open. Here's where you can share your specific memories about your time at the Science Fiction and Horror Marathons. They can be epic or microcosmic, so long as you recount them with some detail and paint a vivid picture of why said memories hold such a special place in your noggin.

This past weekend, I had one of my more notable Marathon memories altered by the power of Netflix Instant. Yes, last Friday night, for the first time since 1993, I checked out the Roger Corman-produced Jurrasic Park ripoff Carnosaur.

Let me set the stage. As some of you know, I missed out on the glory days of the Drexel North Marathons. I had known about these glorious events since their inception, but I was only eleven years old in 1988 (when I first saw the SF2-plugging cover of HOOT) and figured that I could never attend. Years later, after the Marathons were an indispensable part of my life, my mom let slip that she and my dad would gladly have allowed one of my sisters to take me when I was younger. AGH!

But in any case, I finally attended my first Marathon with the 1993 edition of It Came From the Drexel North. To say I was hooked would be an understatement. From my first entrance into the North's auditorium, a beach ball being bounced between loyal Marathoids in sight, I knew that I had found the home I never knew I was looking for. The summer after that Marathon, I couldn't stop thinking about attending the Horror Marathon that fall. I endlessly pored over the old issues of HOOT that I had saved to glean at least some second-hand experience of the past Marathons. I had dreams about the Drexel North! Yes, folks, I had discovered that the Marathons were my gateway drug into a whole new addictive experience.

And so, that fall, my cohorts and I attended the 6th Annual Night of the Living Drexel. For a veteran AIP/Universal/Amicus horror fiend like me, it served as a graduate course into the hard stuff, with my first viewings of The Shining, The Exorcist, Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness, Halloween and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. But we're not here to talk about them. No, I want to get back to the dinoriffic flick that's the focus of this whole sense memory exercise.

In the weeks leading up to the Marathon, Bruce had been teasing the possible premieres on the Marathon hotline (remember that?) Return of the Living Dead 3 was already confirmed for its U.S. premiere, but Guillermo del Toro's Cronos was still unconfirmed. In the days before the event, word came down that Cronos was out, but that Carnosaur was now in. I was disappointed (for my money, Mexican vampires are way sexier than dinosaurs), but still interested in what promised to be an ultra-gory thrill ride.

The good news, as most of you know, is that the Drexel ultimately managed to secure what was billed as the second ever public screening of Cronos (not sure how much truth is in that statement, but hey...) The bad news for 16-year old me? Carnosaur turned out to be much less than a relentless thrill ride and much more of a murky, low budget talkfest. Near the end of the film, my friend Josh and I stood in the aisleway and booed the rolling credits. So case closed, right?

Well, not quite. Because as I watched Carnosaur on Netflix last weekend, I realized that this is a fun low budget flick, part of a dying breed of indy B-flicks that had enough financing and panache to decently ape their big budget brethren while still providing the cheap thrills that their target audience was after. The theme of environmental panic that runs throughout is still timely, as well as the stabs at the burgeoning field of genetic food engineering. The dinosaur kills firmly adhere to the school of less is more, but there's enough gore and grue to still satisfy. And hey, it features Diane Ladd in a star turn as the mad geneticist behind the whole shebang and a grim, somewhat nihilistic ending lifted from a far more serious film.

In 1993, did I think that someday I'd be writing a tribute to the goofy charms of Carnosaur? No. But here it is, my friends. Hope that it serves as a fitting kickoff for your memories.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:50 pm 

I have a specific memory I have not discussed here before which speaks strongly to the sense of community you are describing when it comes to the marathons. (How appropriate, by the way, to start this theme on the same night as the return of one of the best shows on television).

The year was 1994, and the film was the "Midwest Premiere" of the so-so Japanese romp Zieram. Directly in front of us sat a couple of very polite young gentlemen, one of whom was wearing extremely thick glasses. The film was subtitled and I quickly surmised that the man in the glasses had enough of a visual impairment that he was unable to read them, because his friend was reading them aloud to him. Unfortunately, this man had a naturally deep baritone voice, and try as he may he simply could not avoid being too loud for the immediate area. It did not bother me in the slightest, because I was able to figure out what was going on, but the row in front of them quickly resorted to shushing several times until the man gave up.

Without missing a beat, my future wife leaned forward and translated the rest of the film silently in the man's ear. Not only is this a special memory of the marathons for me, but it's also a special memory for me of my wife, who only went to a couple more marathons with me before deciding it was not for her. It was almost enough for me to forgive her for making me miss the previous Autumn's legendary horror marathon by buying me tickets to see Primus on the same night in Cleveland.

Something I have been meaning to do is a revisit of the film that I have described before as one of the worst movies I had ever seen, mostly due to poor timing, Vampyres: Daughters of Dracula.

"I knew that I had found the home I never knew I was looking for." Nice, simple, accurate.

Now, Joe, my challenge to you is to revisit Ticks, Mosquito, or Haunted Symphony and tell us what you think. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:05 am 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
Something I have been meaning to do is a revisit of the film that I have described before as one of the worst movies I had ever seen, mostly due to poor timing, Vampyres: Daughters of Dracula...

I strongly recommend that those folks who hated VAMPYRES take a second look. I saw it at a horror festival at the American Cinematheque and the audience found it quite good. Of course, we had the advantage of seeing it 'only' as part of a double-bill, not during the wee hours of a Marathon!

Very nice story about ZERAM by the way.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:41 am 

I loved Ticks!!

Oh my where to start, being a marathon Veteran I feel compelled to speak of the begining of the my marathon existence. As most everyone on here knows I am a HUGE Vincent Price fan and if not for the screening of HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL at the 1st Horror Marathon I may not be on here today talking about the marathons. I still remember the article in the Weekender that introduced me to the idea of staying awake for 24 straight hours watching horror films, it's funny but at that 1st horror marathon it never occured to me that I could sleep if I needed to, even during the snooze fest known as Suspiria.

My love for Vincent Price and HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL had changed my life forever and gave me something to look forward to twice a year, even in the worst years of my life I knew that soon I would be surrounded by my marathon friends and for 24 hours the world would make sense.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:02 am 
Site Admin

SHUT THE DOOR!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:33 am 

VitruvianZeke wrote:
SHUT THE DOOR!

I miss that shout out. Also the "single clap" during the credits

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:41 pm 

Here is some random foggy memories of pass Science Fiction Marathons. I can't say it will be linier.

The countless times Slither was "cancelled due to time or the print got lost".

The Spaceboy remake that was better than the original.

The ritual reciting of DUCK DODGERS in the 24 and a HALF CENTURY.

The screening of the Zardoz trailer years past denying the Marathonoids the screening the perfect Sean Connery science fiction comedy film.

The retrograde projection of Spaceboy.

The absent of the Gravity short. Bring back Big Sister.

The screening of the Max Headroom pilot movie.

The horrible Jason X April Fools joke.

The time that I was working third shift and still went to the marathon at the Arena Grand denying me of even more sleep.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:54 pm 

willcail wrote:

Hmm, I remember it being even worse than the original.

Either way though, I really don't care whether it was better or not, so please don't screen it again because I don't want to find out.

willcail wrote:
The retrograde projection of Spaceboy.

Now that was an absolute classic. It took me (and a whole lot of other folks) a good 2 minutes or so before we even realized it was backwards. Classic.

willcail wrote:
The screening of the Max Headroom pilot movie.

Someone can correct me, but I want to say that was an unannounced surprise. Maybe? (Or maybe it was announced just a few days before or something?) What other surprises have we had in the last 5 or so years? Blade Runner is the only other one I can even think of.

willcail wrote:

Agreed. Don't even joke about showing that movie. :P

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:09 am 

One of my memories comes from the Drexel North. Not sure what year. I know they were delivering pizza :D
It was around 1AM and the Tetsuo came on. I was so fogged I just remember yelling, "Does anyone know what this movie is about? I don't know what this movie is about!" The kind folks next to me just passed me pizza.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:41 am 

cleazer wrote:
willcail wrote:

Hmm, I remember it being even worse than the original.

Either way though, I really don't care whether it was better or not, so please don't screen it again because I don't want to find out.

Call me crazy, but I thought that the Spaceboy remake was WAYYYYYY better than the original lol It actually had a plot. I cared about the boy in it getting closer to his brother's girlfriend lol I definitely would not be opposed to seeing it as a full length feature film.

Joe: WOW. Well said. I felt the same way about my first movie marathon. Seeing a horror or sci fi movie with a bunch of other people in a movie theater is fun, but seeing one in a movie theater with a bunch of other people that DEVOTE THEIR LIVES to this stuff is A DREAM COME TRUE. My very first movie marathon ever was the 2004 horror marathon at the Drexel Grandview. I found out about the marathon because someone mentioned an ad in a newspaper about it. I can't remember how I learned of the sci fi marathon, but I WANTED to go to the one in 2006. THAT would have been my first sci fi marathon, but for some stupid reason, I didn't read my ticket all the way (if at all) and thought it was on Sunday-Monday. I showed up Sunday at around 10:00 am at The Drexel Gateway and was told it was almost over. You can't imagine how terrible I felt. Anyway, the next year, I attended the sci fi marathon FINALLY!!!!, still never forgiving myself for missing the 2006 one. So I have been attending the horror and sci fi marathons ever since, and every year, it has always been AMAZING!!!! I have the BEST time at these marathons. They're my home away from home, and I can't thank everyone involved enough for the outstanding work you all do. Thank you. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:20 am 

Whaa Spaceboy remake have a plot? The only plot I figure is said Spaceboy is trolling for a Spacecougar.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:03 pm 

I think some folks might be thinking of the "other" new Spaceboy, not the Spaceboy remake.

other/different new Spaceboy:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0784156/

Spaceboy remake:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1543875/

Both have played at recent Columbus sci-fi marathons exactly once each.

(grammar: Once each? That doesn't sound proper. Once apiece? Just plain once?)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:08 pm 

cleazer wrote:
willcail wrote:

Agreed. Don't even joke about showing that movie. :P

HEY!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:18 pm 

So many memories of the Sci-Fi Marathon over the years.

I remember being 18 years old at the first festival and staying up all night to see "Forbidden Planet" for the first time.
Being introduced to the gloriously insane world of Infra-Man and Princess Dragon Mom.
The meowing that started after the botched teleportation of the cat in the original version of "The Fly". (Free floating cat atoms!)
The bizarre "chirping" noise that started during "The Fiend Without A Face" preventing me from sleeping.
Meeting Kathy Long.

My favorite memory though is exiting the doors of the Drexel North at the first marathon in 1987. The theater was only about 1/3 full to begin with and I don't think many of us made it to the end. Walking through the lobby with the survivors of the previous night I felt like I had found a new group of people that I could relate to. I still feel that way after every festival even 25 years later.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:30 am 

There is only one Spaceboy. If I don't see the spectacularly bad short I MIGHT take a break.