The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Final Thoughts
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:20 am 

As I type this, being sleep deprive so I can crash around six pm I would like to thank Bruce for keeping the Science Fiction Mararthon alive for twenty five years.

I'm glad that the powers at be decided to do more to come. I can't wait for the surprises.

Now please don't forget for the newbies who are lurking but please shower and wear clean clothes.

Thanks for the Drexel for hosting the marathon. Thanks for Jeff, and the staff of the Drexel for putting up with the marathonoids for another year.

Heard that there might be John Carter themed watches of the "succsessful" :wink: Disney blockbuster film. How does one get one if they exist?

I think this is the random thoughts that I can think of as this time. Your Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Final Thoughts
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:44 am 

YES! Everybody shower and wear deodorant and CLEAN CLOTHES.\

AND NO OUTSIDE FOOD!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:34 am 

Oh... if only these were the "final" thoughts...

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:09 pm 

A GUIDE TO ENJOYING THE MARATHON (to newbies in particular)

1. First, and foremost: SHOW RESPECT TO ALL PARTICIPANTS!!!! If a racist, sexist, fascist, prejudiced, or just plain offensive thought comes to mind, this is normal, as everyone is different, but PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE, DO NOT share it with everyone!!! I remember when I seen the Japanese film "Hausu" a year or two ago at a previous horror marathon and during the scene with the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and/or Nagasaki, two IDIOTS behind me chanted "USA! USA!". I will not go into detail how mad this made me, because my post would be deleted due to a flurry of four letter words, but let me assure you, I WAS NOT pleased!! So PLEASE, once again, DO NOT say anything even REMOTELY offensive, because you are surrounded by people that you will be around for 24 hours, so have some respect. It's not going to kill you to be courteous and respectful of everyone at the marathon for 24 hours. Thank you.

2. Bring a backpack. You can bring a pillow in it, a book to read while in line, rubber bands for posters (if there are any), medication(s), headache pills, etc. But just like a previous person posted, NO OUTSIDE FOOD! The reason why, is because if you buy food from this event ONLY, you are helping to support it, so that you can assure that there will be future sci fi and horror marathons.

3. Be sure to get a really good rest the night before, that is, if you want to stay awake the entire 24 hours.

4. I wouldn't eat ANYTHING the morning of the marathon, because the LAST THING you need is, you eat a big breakfast, and later on when you're waiting in line, you have to use the bathroom REALLY BAD, and if you leave your place in line, you MIGHT not be able to get it back. keyword: MIGHT. As soon as the marathon starts, be sure to eat something, but just to be on the safe side, don't eat until you KNOW you can use a bathroom soon afterward. ;)

5. If you snore, be sure to bring something to fix that, such as a nasal strip or something, so that you don't ruin the marathon for everyone else with that ungodly annoying sound.

6. The Drexel Theater MIGHT serve alcohol, but if it does, I would HIGHLY recommend not drinking a single drop. One reason is because, you may get tired, AND YOU DON'T WANT THAT at a 24 hour movie marathon. Also, alcohol makes some people violent. I don't even need to tell you all why THIS is bad. So, no alcohol, at least not DURING the marathon. Wait until afterwards.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:55 pm 

David2012 wrote:

1. First, and foremost: SHOW RESPECT TO ALL PARTICIPANTS!!!! If a racist, sexist, fascist, prejudiced, or just plain offensive thought comes to mind, this is normal, as everyone is different, but PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE, DO NOT share it with everyone!!! I remember when I seen the Japanese film "Hausu" a year or two ago at a previous horror marathon and during the scene with the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and/or Nagasaki, two IDIOTS behind me chanted "USA! USA!". I will not go into detail how mad this made me, because my post would be deleted due to a flurry of four letter words, but let me assure you, I WAS NOT pleased!! So PLEASE, once again, DO NOT say anything even REMOTELY offensive, because you are surrounded by people that you will be around for 24 hours, so have some respect. It's not going to kill you to be courteous and respectful of everyone at the marathon for 24 hours. Thank you

As stated in the past if you feel you will be offended it's best not to attend the event. Personally I thought the USA chant was hilarious (very Homer Simpson like). I am sure at Japanese film festivals when they see footage of Pearl Harbor they all chant something that most Americans would be offended by.

Of coarse being offended is a choice, you could have just as easily have shrugged if off but you choose to let it ruin the marathon instead. And yes I also have been guilty of that in the past and I bitched about it on this forum and later realized I was being a jerk by calling people out and I apoligized and we all got over it (I hope) but basically I can't let myself get all upset over what someone else says, to some it's funny and to some it's not but just let it roll off your shoulders and get back to the fun. And above all remember that here in America we currently still have Freedom of Speech...Not sure for how much longer but for now people can say whatever they want.

EDIT: And just because someone says something you find offensive does not make them an Idiot, It's not going to kill you to be courteous and respectful of everyone at the marathon or on this site. Thank you

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:24 pm 

Pretty good notes. Many are similar to my notes:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=823

David2012 wrote:

1. First, and foremost: SHOW RESPECT TO ALL PARTICIPANTS!!!! If a racist, sexist, fascist, prejudiced, or just plain offensive thought comes to mind, this is normal, as everyone is different, but PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE, DO NOT share it with everyone!!! I remember when I seen the Japanese film "Hausu" a year or two ago at a previous horror marathon and during the scene with the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and/or Nagasaki, two IDIOTS behind me chanted "USA! USA!". I will not go into detail how mad this made me, because my post would be deleted due to a flurry of four letter words, but let me assure you, I WAS NOT pleased!! So PLEASE, once again, DO NOT say anything even REMOTELY offensive, because you are surrounded by people that you will be around for 24 hours, so have some respect. It's not going to kill you to be courteous and respectful of everyone at the marathon for 24 hours. Thank you.

2. Bring a backpack. You can bring a pillow in it, a book to read while in line, rubber bands for posters (if there are any), medication(s), headache pills, etc. But just like a previous person posted, NO OUTSIDE FOOD! The reason why, is because if you buy food from this event ONLY, you are helping to support it, so that you can assure that there will be future sci fi and horror marathons.

3. Be sure to get a really good rest the night before, that is, if you want to stay awake the entire 24 hours.

4. I wouldn't eat ANYTHING the morning of the marathon, because the LAST THING you need is, you eat a big breakfast, and later on when you're waiting in line, you have to use the bathroom REALLY BAD, and if you leave your place in line, you MIGHT not be able to get it back. keyword: MIGHT. As soon as the marathon starts, be sure to eat something, but just to be on the safe side, don't eat until you KNOW you can use a bathroom soon afterward. ;)

5. If you snore, be sure to bring something to fix that, such as a nasal strip or something, so that you don't ruin the marathon for everyone else with that ungodly annoying sound.

6. The Drexel Theater MIGHT serve alcohol, but if it does, I would HIGHLY recommend not drinking a single drop. One reason is because, you may get tired, AND YOU DON'T WANT THAT at a 24 hour movie marathon. Also, alcohol makes some people violent. I don't even need to tell you all why THIS is bad. So, no alcohol, at least not DURING the marathon. Wait until afterwards.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:08 am 

In recent years, I've barely posted here, and I regret it. Recent conversations have inspired me to be more active on the board again - in particular, I had dinner with fellow marathoids this evening, and we were ruminating on all things marathon-related, and these forums were a topic of conversation. It made me realize I miss the communication with the marathon crowd, in general, and so, I intend to become more active here again.

Let's see if I'm actually able to stick with it - my life not being what it used to be, I have much much less free time than I used to, so I'm not certain how much time I'll really be able to spend here. But I'll do my best!

My final thoughts as I head off to bed before the marathon:
1) It's 2am, so already I'm not going to be getting as much sleep as I should - typical!
2) I'll be missing some of my regular marathon cohorts, who couldn't get off work this year. :(
3) Since I had to miss the Horror marathon last year, and thought I might miss this SciFi 'thon, too, I'm especially happy that things worked out so I could go!
4) Big big thanks to the Drexel for hosting, and Jeff and Bruce for continuing to put so much effort into this thing - it takes a lot of work to put one of these things together!

See you all tomorrow! :)