The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:04 am 

Please have a hiatus when it comes to docs. The Captains was so painful to watch.

I would gladly own a copy of Manborg on Blu Ray.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:25 pm 

I agree with you there

Last edited by David2012 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:38 pm 

wow David..."a ghetto movie that belongs on bet"..?...extremely unnecessary comment and very offensive. Think before you type next time.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:03 am 

Hallbeast wrote:
wow David..."a ghetto movie that belongs on bet"..?...extremely unnecessary comment and very offensive. Think before you type next time.

Thank you Hallbeast for pointing that out. My blood boiled when I read that incredibly racist comment. I'm taking the rest of my thoughts to Kaboom.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:31 pm 

David2012 wrote:

Dennis wrote:
I paint with a broad brush but, to me, many Korean and Japanese horror directors seem to be some messed up individuals.

This is the most offensive thing I've ever read so far on these forums. You're insulting not one but two entire races, just because you didn't like and/or understand the movie? I really do not understand why you feel you have to say that many Korean and Japanese horror directors are messed up individuals. That is totally inappropriate and prejudiced. I get that a lot of Asian horror/sci/action films are very graphic, violent, shocking, etc., but Asians, especially the Japanese, do things on a VERY large scale, and I LOVE that about them. By the way, why did you mention Koreans? Battle Royale is a Japanese film, not Korean. Just throwing that out there.

Dennis wrote:
Interesting, if unbelievable premise.

That is why it is called "science FICTION", but is it really that unbelievable? The future in that movie is crazy, violent and out of control. The plot of the movie is, "If teenagers are so eager to kill themselves, SO BE IT! Get out of our way, and kill yourselves off then, instead of putting US in danger while you do it!"

In reverse order. I saw Battelship the other night with my son. I had no trouble with the aliens coming to earth, some of there weapons, etc. I had trouble suspending disbelief when a handful of 90 year old vets and a few surviors from a naval destroyer got a battleship that has been sitting in dock for 20 years undocked and headed for sea in a couple hours. When I do this when watching movies with my wife she usually comments, "What, you believed it up until now?" I had the same problem with Deathrace 2000. I just don't believe it could happen, I have trouble suspending disbelief at times and if I start off having trouble with the premise, the rest of the film suffers. I did get the film, and I think the different responses the charatcers had to the choice they were given was interesting. I could believe that some would commit suicide, some would try to figure out a way out, and some would be prgmatists and to some extent relish the chance. I just have a hard time beliving a few riots and high unemployment would push this through the Diet.

As for my intolerance, that is an interesing charge given your take on Attack the Block. I am basing my comment on the films that have been shown at the Horror and SciFimarathons. Not all of them, but, in my opinion, many of them seem to be more violent, more sexually violent and seem to relish in levels of misogyny that are not equaled by most American directors. That may just be a matter of sample size. More have been shown at the horror marathon than the Scifi. I am basing this my opinion off of movies like Tokyo Gore Police, Uzumaki and the one that was three short films, one Japanese, one Korean, and the other from Hong Kong, I think. There were some more at the horrorthon over the years, but Dave's site is considered a game site here at work, so I can't look up the names.

I think of Battle Roayle more of a horror film than scifi, but it clearly has elements of both. Battle Royale wasn't, for the most part, that gory, not any nudity that I recall. It was just the premise of children randomly being forced to kill each other that I found disturbing. That's why I have little interest in the Hunger Games.

The Korean horror films tend to drag out the suffering and anguish of characters but not usually with same ammount of gore that their Japanese counterpoints use. But they go over the top, by my way of thinking, and seem to relish in the suffering. I mentioned Korean because of that three director film I mentioned.

And we have had some films from bioth of those countries that aren't that extreme. As I said, I may be painting with too broad a brush. But from the sample I have seen at the marathons, I still find the films more disturbing on average than their American counterpart and wonder about the mind of the person who could come up with them.

Last edited by Dennis on Thu May 31, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

Dennis wrote:
Dave's site is considered a game site here at work, so I can't look up the names.

Huh, really? I can definitely see why, but I guess I'm just amused that ANYWHERE officially considers my poor little site ANYTHING. Pretty scary when even I'm important enough to garner Big Brother's notice. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:48 pm 

All I know is Websense has its eye on you. Its funny though, I can get to some sites that talk about Starcraft.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:52 pm 

Realism is not the point in Hollywood, entertainment is.

Last edited by David2012 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:57 pm 

David2012 wrote:
My "ghetto movie" comment about "Attack The Block" was not meant to be racist. I define a "ghetto movie" as any movie where the setting is a bad neighborhood, and correct me if I'm wrong, but "Attack The Block" took place in a bad neighborhood. What do you think of as "ghetto"? It's a word used to define a neighborhood where the population of a neighborhood is all one race. However, overtime, the word "ghetto" has been used to define bad neighborhoods. I stand by what I said. It's a ghetto movie. I didn't appreciate seeing an innocent white woman attacked by black thugs. I felt that it was racist. Why did the woman have to be white? Anywho, that's just MY opinion. You all are perfectly welcome to disagree with me, but I am NOT racist. Someone said "think before you type". I have actually worked on that giant message for a long time. That is why it took me so long to send it. If I didn't have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, I probably would have sent that message out on the day the marathon ended. If you think of "ghetto" as "racist", then that is not my problem. I don't think of it as "racist". I think of it as "lower class", NOT racist.

again, david, wow...so you are of the opinion that "a ghetto movie that belongs on bet" is not racist?? By your definition, ghetto is "lower class". Fair enough. So how, then, does this sound "Attack the Block is a lower class movie that belongs on bet"??? Still think it isn't racist or offensive? Can you really not understand why people would be offended by that? And another thing, it is a really sad statement about you to say that you worked on that giant message for a long time, and still managed to leave that ignorant remark in there. What a disgrace. Shame on you sir, and I use the term sir VERY loosely.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:08 pm 

I don't want to get into whether or not you are a racist, I don't really care. I take issue with your dislike of the entire film coming doen to something as simple as "I didn't appreciate seeing an innocent white woman attacked by black thugs."

What you are doing here, and the reason everyone else is so defensive, is projecting that if we happened to like this movie, then we must like seeing innocent people attacked by thugs. Bad things happen to good characters all the time in movies, including some other movies in this very marathon lineup. So, it's very confusing how narrow minded you are being about this one little thing.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hey now, let's try and stay focused on topic here. Questions of racism and intent should move to the Kaboom! thread so we can keep this one fairly focused on the film reactions.

Which, just to say, we'd love to hear more comments from any lurkers out there about the lineup. Even just re-iterating what others have said would be good, it gives Bruce all the better handle for next year. Especially from people who might have had to leave early and whose voice wasn't heard during the "What did everyone like?" roundup.

Don't make me invoke Godwin's Law. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:15 am 

I would point out not all of Moses gang is black. Pest is white and is in a movie I hope Joe gets for the Horror based on the title alone, Strippers vs Werewolves. To me, it is more of a class issue than a race issue in the film. You imply that they attacked her because she was white. It seemed more they attacked her because they thought she was upper class. Part of that might be because she is white, but if you will recall from the film they all pretty much said they had no idea she lived in the Block, if they had they would have left her alone.

It does bring up an interesting question though. Were you rooting for Seth Gecko or the vampires in From Dusk 'til Dawn?

Is it because you see the violence against the woman that it is a problem? While it is never explicitly stated how many men he killed, it is implied in Shane that he was a gunslinger and had probably killed his share of men and perhaps not always for the just cause. Yet he is trying to redeem himself. Much the same as Moses, the only difference is we see Moses crimes, Shane's are left to our imaginations.
Many folks love to see the bad guy or girl go good. Vader redeems himself. To make sure we get some diversity here, Xena, as I recall did some pretty nasty things for a long time before being set on the path of good.

BTW, I did feel for you when you got blindsided with the Blade Runner question. I draw blanks at times, especially when sleep deprived. It is easy to provide the Jeopardy questions when you are on the sofa. It is a little harder when there is an audience, two other people and real money on the line.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:01 am 

The name of the movie that you are referring to is "Three... Extremes". Two of the directors were Takashi Miike and Fruit Chan.

Last edited by David2012 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:29 pm 

Ouch. As the Admin on the Boston Marathon Board, I can feel your pain as you watch this David train-wreck happening. Maybe, split it off into Kaboom territory?

So, any other thoughts on the actual MOVIES that played at the Marathon?

:D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

Well, for what it's worth SF29 has been entered into the grand Hall of Marathonia ...

http://www.vitruvianzeke.com/Marathonia/Marathonia.html#SF29

Feel free to point out any mistakes. My memory of the event has already turned pretty hazy. :)