The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:21 am 

This was yet another GREAT Sci-Fi Marathon. I almost managed to stay awake the entire time but the Mighty Reptilicus Took me down (for about 30 minutes)

Attack the Block - Loved it at the Chicago Marathon and Loved it in Ohio!!

Brainstorm - I hadn't seen this on the big screen and found a new respect for the film.

The Captains - What can I say but Shatner loves Shatner

Electroma - Not since Automatons has an audience joined together in the hatred of a film. But hey we had fun with it.

The Green Slime - Classic Sci-Fi Cheese which was much needed after the Prior two "films".

The Last Push - Unlike most people I loved to prove myself wrong, the trailer lead me to believe this would be a very boring film yet it was just the opposite, I was immediately drawn into the film. Not to pat myself on the back to much but it was my Twitter post that prompted the call to the Director which was an added bonus to this years marathon. I hope Eric Haden can make it to our event one year.

Battle Royale - I have been a big fan of this movie for years and it was great to see it on the big screen. Jen mentioned Death Note in her post above and I wanted to add that Death Note would make a great entry into the Sc-Fi Marathon movie catalog.

Manborg - Hated this one. Boring as F&^K and no amount of snarking could have made it any better. I actually liked Electroma more than Manborg.

Source Code - This was my second time seeing Source Code and both times I really enjoyed it.

Reptilicus - as stated about my need to sleep was more powerful than we need to see Reptilicus, which sucks because I really wanted to see the full movie, wish this would have shown Earlier. Had Bruce switch Reptilicus with Attack the Block I would have been able to stay awake but oh well no biggie.

They Live - 100% Classic Carpenter. I couldn't tell you how many times I have seen They Live but there is nothing like seeing it on the big screen again...Thank You Bruce!!

The only real complaint about this years event was that I didn't get my annual SpaceBoy fix, I hyped it up to my Girlfriend (who attended the marathon for her first time) and yet Spaceboy was nowhere to be found.

For those who need a spaceboy fix here is the link to a cellphone camera version on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utKGKLGDnO8&feature=g-upl

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:13 am 

Thanks to Bruce and Jeff and the Drexel staff for another great weekend seeing old friends and some good, bad, and ugly films. A couple notes about the event itself: This is the second year in a row the marathon was in mid-May and I really hope it's the last time it's that late in the year. While it's nice not to have big heavy coats crowding you even further into the smallish seats, I prefer when the weather is a little cooler and even don't mind when it rains (as long as the rain waits until after the marathon starts). I have to wonder if attendance is helped or hurts when the weather is so beautiful-I know a lot of people who can't imagine staying in a theater all day when it's 86 and sunny outside. Plus the heat causes sweat and sweat causes body odor.... It was sad that the cafe was closed but there are plenty of dining options in the area that it didn't bother me too much. The pizza was good to have but I wish it was from a place that stays open later than 10pm. This brings me back to my earlier point about the late date for this year's 'thon. When Bruce announced that there was only 30 minutes left before the pizza place closed, I thought how's that possible it just got dark out 10 minutes ago. I'm so used to the marathon being in April when it gets dark at 7-7:30. Minor points overall, but those are my opinions.

Attack the Block: I love this film. I thought I'd be bored since it was my 4th time seeing it including just a few weeks ago at Chicago's Sci-fi marathon. I was wrong. What a blast and what a great crowd to see it with, glad it was first up.

Brainstorm: I had never seen this film before and enjoyed it. Not a classic by any means but definitely interesting and it's always a blast seeing an 80s movie on the big screen.

Captains: I can't stress enough how much I don't want to seen any more documentaries at our science FICTION marathons. I left to get food and was hoping to miss more than I did. Unfortunately I missed Gravity (please announce when you're going to play this and Spaceboy) and I saw a lot more of this than I had hoped. That said, I found it more entertaining than expected due entirely to Shatner's massive ego. Classic Shatner. I hate Star Trek so much (except Wrath of Khan and the remake) but I love pompous bloated has beens. Please get The Devil's Rain for the horror marathon. But please no more docs for at least a 5 years.

Electroma: Terrible. Would've been an ok 10 minute short. Torturous at an hour.

The Green Slime: A lot of fun, but probably would've been more fun with a better lead-in film. The DVD Projection looked surprisingly good.

The Last Push: Was better than expected. It did get repetitive and I definitely did some head snaps during it, but I don't think I missed much.

Battle Royale: Definitely a highlight of the marathon. Though not as great as I remembered it, the reasoning behind the BR is pretty thin, but it is such a good looking movie. My biggest problem with The Hunger Games is that it seemed liked they never left a 1/4 square mile from where they started and were never in danger from the elements. Battle Royale makes their kids cover every square inch of that island. A great film I was happy to stay awake for.

Manborg/Source Code: I gave Manborg about 10 minutes too much of my life. Hated it, went to my car to sleep woke up for the last 10 minutes of Source Code. Source Code is a good movie I've seen before but I'll have to watch it again now.

Reptilicus: Gorgeous print of an awful movie. Made me want to visit Denmark though.

They Live: I've been clamoring to see this at a marathon for years and definitely the highlight this year. It's such a colossally flawed film where you can kind of tell they never finished the script and just decided to wrap it up quickly. "Hey people I recognize, glad to see you joined us, let me show you how to destroy us." But by the time it gets to the ridiculous ending I've had so much fun with the first hour, I couldn't care less about the crater sized plot holes.

As always, I had a great time. As always, I have my critiques. The lineup was decent overall but lacked cohesion. I think there's a desire to get "premieres" at any cost and some years we get a lot of good and ok premieres like last year. But if we can't get good premieres or even real premieres I'd rather see that time given to 70s and 80s classics (or cult classics). The Last Push was fine, but if it's between scheduling The Running Man (which I'm told there are prints of) and Soylent Green, for example, or scheduling Manborg and The Captains (which isn't a premiere if it's on TV) and Electroma, I don't think it's even close of which would go over better. I was glad that there were more newbies than usual and some kids in attendance to start the next generation audience, but overall the crowd seems to be around 30+. Our generation is heavy on nostalgia and specifically nostalgia for films from the 80s and 70s-films we grew up on as kids and maybe were too young to see in theaters when they were released and I think those are the films that will get people in the seats. But I have no stats to back that up, just the anecdotal evidence of a bunch of cranky marathoids I look forward to seeing every year.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:50 pm 

These guys are real excited to see "Best Exotic Marigold Hotel"

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:27 pm 

My first Columbus Marathon. Inevitably I have to compare it to Cleveland (24 years) and Boston (1 year).

The good.
Of course it's the energy, thought, work and creativity of Bruce, Jeff, Jen and too many others to list (even if I knew their names) that made the success that I experienced and that long term attendees must expect. Thank you very much. I'll be back.
As compared to Cleveland, both Columbus and Boston are much more fan experiences and not simple film showings. They are reunions and the contests, freebies, conversations led from the front (in Columbus) by Bruce, all reflect that.
I like the attempt to show "Premiers" that led to the showing of The Last Push. I do think that it was a overdone however - leading to Electroma & Manborg. Boston hits a nice compromise by having pre-marathon showings for new stuff, the good the bad & the turds. But they have a larger base of attendees. Wouldn't work in Columbus (or Cleveland.) And if you check their forum you'll see that Boston, too is not above showing films with a strong barnyard smell.
All marathons show a mix of recent, classic and guilty pleasures. I prefer Columbus not overdoing it on recent big movies. This may be a $$ decision, however if I wanted to see Cowboys vs. --, or Thor or I wouldn't wait for a showing at a marathon (Cleve. showed 4!!! big 2011 movies.) Even allowing that they are 5 hours longer that's just a waste of time that could be used for classic & original stuff. Showing one fairly recent biggie, Source Code, was just right.

Probably some of the choices were made due to availability. A great print of Reptilicus. a Blu-Ray Slime. Tons of shorts. Thanks Bruce et al for the detective work.
Creature features were well represented. One documentary was about right. They Live represented cult stuff (& was better than Scanners, Boston's comparable choice.) I do not like Battle Royale, but I know I'm in the minority. That & Attack the - - - were great as modern films for specific audiences. Brainstorm? Again, I didn't love it. But I was in the minority. Time spent on good old films is almost never wasted.

The bad.
There may have been back stage production work going on, but pauses & Bruce filling up time went on too long. When he was talking about something, or running contests, great. But it seemed that he was hung out to dry more than once.
Just because it's old doesn't make a filler interesting, especially if it's one of dozens & dozens. The best shorts got lost in the sheer volume. Similarly, I like previews even in the numbers shown, but I did hear a fair number of mutters from people sitting around me. Perhaps a bit more restraint?

I mentioned premiers above. Can the ones you know almost no one will appreciate. Show any of dozens of less known films - or old, old classics (30s or 40s) or even cult films that you know are to a lot of people's taste. Slicing Manborg, Electroma (turkeys by any measure) some previews & shorts and cutting break time when nothing is going on (to no more than 10 minutes) would allow 3 or 4 more films. In addition to the above suggestions I would add another oldie like Brainstorm, Any of dozens of fairly recent goodies (there's a lot more out there than Attack) and perhaps another cult.
It is easy to second guess. Nothing above conflicts with the great appreciation and admiration I feel for the primarys & volunteers who made the marathon happen. And I know that my preferences are personal and may be shared by nobody - and perhaps precluded by reality.
Again, thanks to everybody responsible.

ed. After writing this I read meatfetish's post, many of whose opinions I share. His are more legit; as a long termer, he is more entitled. Nice to know I'm not totally alone though.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

Last edited by pogo on Thu May 24, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:24 pm 
Site Admin

Jaws3dfan wrote:
These guys are real excited to see "Best Exotic Marigold Hotel"

I thought we were there for FOOTNOTE?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:16 am 

At least we didn't have the see the BEST EROTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL. I saw someone had edited the poster in the lobby, switching the X for the R (and there is some movie humor in that at a whole different level.) I know for sure I don't want to see Judi Dench and Maggie Smith in that kind of film.

Pogo, we have the conversation about the number of trailers and shorts many years, if not every year, because we almost always lose a film along the way. I can see where you are coming from and I would still come if it was done that way, but I like the trailers, the shorts and the commercials. I can even live with the "You have four minutes to get to the snack bar" drive in ones. For me the marathon is more than the movies. I do agree the breaks sometimes go on too long, but some, like the costume contest, are out of necessity. I never worked in a theater, so I have no idea what is required up there in the booth, though I imagine what we need is a little outisde the norm, at times. Plus, the theater does not have the most spacious bathrooms so if you are too quick to end the breaks, especially early in the marathon people may miss something, like Gravity, because they were in line for the bathroom or the concession stand, which is also limited and tends to have big lines early.

MEATFETISH - Going out for food. I've never seen this as a viable option for me. I was tempted to slip over to Graeters, but I didn't want to have to wolf it down or sneak it in because I didn't want to miss anything. Even though I know some of the movies may be bad, I really hate leaving the theater, because I am afraid I might miss something. I do think including Gravity, Spaceboy and maybe Duck Dodgers in the program or included in the opening remarks might be a nice addition.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:52 am 

I rarely post on this website but check it regularly, especially when it gets close to marathon time. However, since our host with the most Bruce requested that more of us be active here, I now offer my reflections on this year's marathon. I have attended many marathons; my first was in 89 at the Drexel North where I ran down to stand in the monstrously long line immediately after taking my SAT exam at Watterson High School directly behind the theater where I was a student at the time. The entire event blew my socks off and looking back at the program, I still feel lucky to have attended. Killer Klowns, Terminator, 2001, Kronos, The Time Machine-- it had it all!

These days, production values aren't what they were, but I remain impressed with Bruce's ability to show movies and shorts that entertain us and sometimes broaden our appreciation for science fiction film. Here are my 2 cents on this year's line-up:

NOON - ATTACK THE BLOCK: Biggest pleasant surprise of the marathon. I hated Moses at the beginning, and then thought it would be cool if an alien ate him, and then at the end I thought he was a total bad ass and was half hoping the audience would have picked up the "Moses!" chant at the end. Also, the boy with the fireworks and the two little kids with the supersoaker were awesome.
2:15 pm - BRAINSTORM: Enjoyed it. I thought the movie peaked early when he and his wife shared the moments in their relationship that brought them back to each other, but Walken rules.
4:30 - The Ohio Premiere of THE CAPTAINS: Mixed feelings. I saw it before but not all the way through since it's so painfully awkward. I love Shatner to pieces, but he's a train wreck. However, I now have a huge nerd crush on Kate Mulgrew, who is beautifully fierce and apparently doesn't take any crap off anyone even when she's not captain of a starship. Avery Brooks is a freak.
6:30 - The 29th Annual Costume Contest: Best costume contest in years. I hope this is a trend. Yes, a dancing robot won, but it was clearly a father-son project (at least it looked like his dad), and it was well-executed. What is more deserving than that?
6:45 - The Columbus Premiere of ELECTROMA: Terrible. I hope I never see this again.
8:30 - THE GREEN SLIME: Liked it. Movies like this are the reason my more mainstream-oriented friends won't come to the marathon anymore, but I have a growing appreciation for the older movies from a historical aspect, and they are really easy to watch.
10:40 - The Ohio Premiere of THE LAST PUSH: Really enjoyed it. I realized halfway through we weren't going to see any space whales, but by then the story had drawn me in and I was invested. The low production budget shocked me, and the call from the director wowed me. I would love to see more of these kinds of films at the marathon.
12:30 - BATTLE ROYALE: Great addition. Nuff said.
2:45 - The Ohio Premiere of MANBORG: Not so much. I get what the idea was, but uh... yeah. At least I got a guilt-free nap out of it.
4:30 - SOURCE CODE: Really really enjoyed this. I wish it wasn't given such a crappy time slot but I was wide awake through the whole thing anyway. Spoiler question: Is the reason he didn't die at the end because of his still-alive body in the version of reality he was then in? And what about the guy he was possessing? What happened to him?
6:40 - WAR OF THE SATELLITES: Oh well, so sad.
8:15 - REPTILICUS: Lukewarm on the movie, but I really enjoyed the 35mm print. Who knows, it might be the last 35mm print ever shown at a marathon if what Bruce said about their projector comes true. That would be sad. Or did I mis-hear that comment?
10:10 - THEY LIVE: Great finisher. Never mess with a pro wrestler who's all out of Bubbalicious.

As a final thought, it was good to see a growing number of women and also people younger than 30 at the event this year. I hope they all felt welcome and had a great time.

Thank you to Drexel for continuing the tradition of this event. I hope the entire event staff (including the projectionist who did a great job) feels appreciated for their efforts, because they most certainly are.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:38 pm 

Dennis wrote:
Pogo, we have the conversation about the number of trailers and shorts many years, if not every year, because we almost always lose a film along the way. I can see where you are coming from and I would still come if it was done that way, but I like the trailers, the shorts and the commercials. I can even live with the "You have four minutes to get to the snack bar" drive in ones. For me the marathon is more than the movies. I do agree the breaks sometimes go on too long, but some, like the costume contest, are out of necessity. I never worked in a theater, so I have no idea what is required up there in the booth, though I imagine what we need is a little outisde the norm, at times. Plus, the theater does not have the most spacious bathrooms so if you are too quick to end the breaks, especially early in the marathon people may miss something, like Gravity, because they were in line for the bathroom or the concession stand, which is also limited and tends to have big lines early.

Dennis, thanks for responding. It is extremely courteous of you. Response make a posting board worth participating in.
I too like the trailers, shorts, previews etc. as I stated. As you imply, they are part of what makes a marathon special and different. It's just the sheer numbers of not particularly stellar stuff that occasioned my comment. And you are probably correct that I am a little more movie focused than you. All choices show balance and preferences. Probably mine is a little different than yours.
And I certainly wasn't talking about contests. They are a gas. That's what I meant by "Something going on."
Above I shared my ignorance of projection room necessities. Handling the wealth of old & special materials may indeed have been what required long breaks.
Also, as far as breaks go. I pee a lot. And visit concessions. And still sat & sat waiting for something to happen.
Bottom line? See ya next year.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:11 pm 
Site Admin

pogo wrote:
I too like the trailers, shorts, previews etc. as I stated. As you imply, they are part of what makes a marathon special and different. It's just the sheer numbers of not particularly stellar stuff that occasioned my comment.

Also, as far as breaks go. I pee a lot. And visit concessions. And still sat & sat waiting for something to happen.

It's always a tricky proposition to balance out trailers, shorts and the features. But I think you hit on something with your second comment. There were several intermissions that ran very long, most noticeably the one involving the costume contest....and that's not counting the time that the contest took. Time to socialize between films is important to the flow of the event, but it did seem like there was some excessive vamping (not Bruce's fault) for one reason or another. We've occasionally had this problem at the Horror Marathon as well, although the most egregious delays have been due to projection booth adjustments/unforseen complications.

jbowling wrote:
8:30 - THE GREEN SLIME: Liked it. Movies like this are the reason my more mainstream-oriented friends won't come to the marathon anymore, but I have a growing appreciation for the older movies from a historical aspect, and they are really easy to watch.

Huh, that's interesting. What are your friends' qualifications for a good Marathon lineup? Films like Green Slime have been part of the programming since the beginning (hello Infra-Man!)

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:13 pm 

Another great weekend, thanks to Bruce and Jeff and all involved!

Seemed like a healthy crowd this year. The late announcement and lack of early ticket sales didn't seem to hurt the attendance too much. Met a number of new folks this year. I hope they all had a good time and will come back for more.

The snarking was pretty tolerable this year, ie. not much at all. One guy wouldn't shut up for most of Attack The Block, but after that movie he seemed to get the message that he wasn't funny. Heard some whining going on during The Captains, and while understandable, for one or two folks it seemed to quickly reach a rather pitiful level. If you hate a movie that much and can't wait for it to be over, please, just get up and walk out. Don't sit there in your seat and whine like a 4-year-old for 30 straight minutes. Shatner sez: Get a life!

Overall, the film lineup seemed to be a bit weaker than the past few years, and yet I still really enjoyed the event as a whole. I think that's really telling of just how great the marathon format is what a great job Bruce and Co do with programming it.

The costume contest was the best one we've had in years, props to all who participated. My favoite was actually the group of 5 hooligans from Attack The Block. For some reason they didn't seem to go over very well. Oh well, I liked the idea.

Christopher Walken contest was pretty good too. Nice way to mix things up, and nice work by the participants to pretty much come up with something on the fly. You go to hell!

Did Spaceboy really not play this year? I just assumed it played with the really early trailers before noon, or I somehow missed it during a bathroom break. Suffice it to say, I didn't miss Spaceboy.

Very happy to see the return of Gravity. I could tell that a number of folks around me had never seen it before, and unsurprisingly they all enjoyed their introduction to it.

What the hell was that French thing we watched at the start? That was some seriously weird shit. Entertaining. Bizarre. Thanks for digging it up. Four days later, I'm getting a deja vu feeling that I've seen it before, but I think that's just some 4 day old memories.

Personally, I did a pretty good job of staying awake this year. I slept through about 20 minutes of Manborg, and about 20 minutes of Reptilicus, but was awake for everything else. Don't think I could ask for much more than that.

In general order of favorite to least favorite:

Battle Royale - A great piece of film-making and a great snapshot of Japanese youth. A really entertaining variety of kills, and a great blend of humor and action and drama. Not sure you can ask for anything more than that out of a movie.

The Last Push - I kind of thought I'd like this, though I was a little worried that it'd get boring. I needn't have worried. A very entertaining film with a couple surprisingly gorgeous visuals considering the budget, and some good character building from the lead, thanks in part to well-defined supporting characters. And then to think it got even better after the movie ended, as we were treated to a brief discussion with a director who seemed to GENUINELY care about what we thought and seemed to truly appreciate our reactions. A gigantic thumbs up to him. So impressed was I that I may even consider buying the dvd now, which believe me, is not common.

They Live - Outstanding! I'm pleased to report that some folks around me were being introduced to this gem of a film for the first time, so good job Bruce for showing it. (I could hear that they had no idea how awesome that fight scene was going to be.) Really love the whole tone of it, and yes, the world always comes full circle and it's as appropriate as ever today. Therefore I declare it to be visionary. I have spoken.

Attack The Block - Seen it before, and I'm pleased to report that it held up extremely well on second viewing. Moses is a great character, and it's a truly powerful moment when we find out he's just a kid. Lots of great characters and scenes throughout, its just a flat out entertaining movie.

Brainstorm - As mentioned by others, the robot hijinks really struck me as out of place, but this film deserves some credit for going to some interesting places. A couple scenes really made it great to see with a marathon crowd.

Source Code - I could've flipped this spot with Brainstorm. I hadn't seen it before, and I enjoyed it. An interesting idea, though I had some trouble with the ending. Maybe I was just a bit too sleepy at that point, so maybe I misunderstood it. Did our hero really steal that other guy's life? If so, it bothered me quite a bit, that didn't seem right at all. I have to admit, I was kind of hoping that he would turn out to be the villain, that would've been an acceptable twist.

Reptilicus - Holy smokes, what a gorgeous print. I had no idea that such old films could look so good! Reptilicus is a fun little flick, nothing special, just your stereotypical characters going up against your typical monster, with the usual Danish travelogue mixed in throughout. (Who didn't enjoy the singer at the restaurant?)

Green Slime - I see some folks above describing it as great fun. I don't think they watched the same thing I did. It was a good to decent movie, and it was especially appreciated as a step back into normal-moviehood after the back-to-back super slow flicks that preceded it. Nothing awesome, but I certainly enjoyed it simply for the fact that it was a normal movie.

The Captains - Oh boy, where to start? Let's just say that I FULLY SUPPORT DOCUMENTARIES and look forward to seeing more in the future. I'm a bit of a Star Trek fan, and I certainly found a good portion of this to be entertaining. Overall, I enjoyed it, though I think most can agree that the first 60 minutes was far more watchable than the last 30 minutes. That Shatner is something else, isn't he? Oh boy, you gotta admit, that thing got the crowd good and united at the end. I love Sisko and Deep Space Nine, but holy shit, Shatner and Brooks should NEVER EVER be allowed to be in the same room ever again. Spock's brain would have exploded. The universe will break down if it ever happens again. Bakula is as awesome as always (that reminds me, I want Lord Of Illusions at this year's horror thon), and some of the exchanges between Shatner and Kate Mulgrew were just SHOCKING. "You're wrong about how you feel." Wow, Shatner, just wow. But that amazingly long lead-in from Shatner to Stewart at the end just really took the cake. The continuing cutaways to Stewart just sitting there were classic. I laughed and cried at the same time for different reasons.

Once again, overall I enjoyed this (though they could have cut a good 20 minutes from the end, hello ducks in the park).

Electroma - I won't say I hated it because I most certainly did not hate it. But this was definitely not a marathon movie. Definitely artsitic and experimental filmmaking. The opening 8-10 minute shots of the car driving should have been a sign to most folks here to leave. Too bad a lot of folks didn't get the message. Sure, it absolutely could have been shorter, but that wasn't the point. That would have made it a different movie. Props to the ice cream cone. Interesting shrubbery in the desert.

Manborg - The parts that I was awake for I found to be semi-acceptable, but not exactly worth staying awake for. So I didn't. This may have been better appreciated at a better hour. Then again, maybe not. It was exactly what it advertised itself to be, so it really doesn't deserve any complaints heaped on it.

Hmm, I guess I wound up appreciating just about everything in one way or another, so maybe this wasn't such a weak film lineup afterall.

Ask me again in another month or two.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:58 am 

jbowling wrote:

Huh, that's interesting. What are your friends' qualifications for a good Marathon lineup? Films like Green Slime have been part of the programming since the beginning (hello Infra-Man!)[/quote]

The way it works with most of my buddies (over the course of the last 15-20 years) is that I manage to talk them into coming once and they end up being bored or put off by the older lesser known films and then just never come back. I try to explain their charm and the coolness of watching movies on original 35mm film, but in the end there's just no accounting for taste!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:47 pm 

I believe you aren't quoting yourself twice- but, Joe Neff's reply. Messageboard glitch.

JB, yes keep posting. And, join in at the Boston board if you can: http://sf.theboard.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

As far as the substance of your original post. Yes, I sadly have to admit you are on to something there. In Boston, it has become abundantly clear that the general mass of attendees appreciates the newer stuff. Even a just above average recent film will often get thunderous applause at the end. And, then something truly classic like the original PLANET OF THE APES or the Japanese subtitled cut of GODZILLA will be greeted with polite, but hardly earthshattering approval. Not to mention all the snarking that seems to go along with any "old" movie. Sigh.

time moves on..........

jbowling wrote:
jbowling wrote:

Huh, that's interesting. What are your friends' qualifications for a good Marathon lineup? Films like Green Slime have been part of the programming since the beginning (hello Infra-Man!)

The way it works with most of my buddies (over the course of the last 15-20 years) is that I manage to talk them into coming once and they end up being bored or put off by the older lesser known films and then just never come back. I try to explain their charm and the coolness of watching movies on original 35mm film, but in the end there's just no accounting for taste![/quote]

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:56 pm 
Site Admin

cleazer wrote:
What the hell was that French thing we watched at the start? That was some seriously weird shit. Entertaining. Bizarre. Thanks for digging it up. Four days later, I'm getting a deja vu feeling that I've seen it before, but I think that's just some 4 day old memories.

It's probably not deja vu. The short film is Jan Kounen's Gisele Kerozene, which came out in 1989 or 1990 and was shown at a Drexel marathon shortly after. I don't think it was a premiere, but Bruce had it in the lineup a couple of years. I was quite pleased to see its return, as I think this was the original 35mm.

It uses a technique referred to as Pixilation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixilation)- incredibly time-consuming and beautifully freakish.

In case anyone wishes to relive the experience:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwMHD4mteMs

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:55 pm 

Comment on The Captains
Described it on a non-Sci-Fi board for persons who might make the horrible mistake of going to see it.
The one other science fiction addict there said that my review gave him a compulsive urge to see it.
Recognized a fellow crazy, so I sent him the Captains T-Shirt I won for my last place finish in the costume competition.
Somewhere in Virginia, a 60 year old FDIC bank examiner will soon be illustrating his admiration for the largest ego in entertainment.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:30 am 

Thank you to Bruce, Joe, the entire staff and management of the Drexel Theater and ALL of the volunteers for another outstanding marathon! :D

Last edited by David2012 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:40 pm, edited 8 times in total.