The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Prometheus
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:38 pm 

I put off posting my thoughts about PROMETHEUS because it was largely disappointing, but the following video pretty much sums up what was going through my brain in the days following:

Spoiler: show

Post subject: Re: Prometheus
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:47 pm 

One other thing the video forgot to mention:

Where did Charlize Theron disappear to for about 30 minutes?
It couldn't have been her secret lifeboat because that still had a slimy creature gestating in it.
And why didn't anyone notice that the lifeboat had a slimy, gestating alien creature in it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:44 am 

I like the film. Especially the ambigous round about way that
David create the "xenomorph" species. That was a giant pre facehugger deposit its egg into the surviving Engineer. I really enjoy the ending. Seeing the birth of the "xenomorph". True it isn't a direct prequel but one can't denied the direct links to Alien.

It was a great ambigous prequel to Alien.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:36 pm 

This is a film with something for everyone. A little something positive, and a lot of things negative. How you weigh them is up to individual taste. It seems as though I come out a bit more positive than most SF fans, but, it's certainly with heavy reservations.

First things first - this IS a prequel to ALIEN. Ridley Scott can pussy-foot around as much as he wants, but there a lot of official sequels/prequels to other film series that have much less in common than PROMETHEUS does with the ALIEN franchise. Yes, Mr.Scott, you have put in some curve balls and you don't want to see yourself as repeating past glories, but you made a Prequel to ALIEN. Get over it.

More importantly, the convoluted way in which PROMETHEUS was developed explains much of what is wrong with the picture. It has to exist in the ALIEN universe, yet, it wants to strike out into new and different territory. There are a number of interesting threads and tangents that PROMETHEUS explores. Unfortunately, the weight of ALIEN drags it back and forth like a cosmic game of tug-of-war. The last act in particular seems to be a patchwork of 3 or 4 different 'endings' all mashed into one.

Full Disclosure: I am not the world's biggest ALIEN fan. It's a very good SF film - tense, thrilling and full of good ideas. It's also highly derivative of monsters-on-the-loose films, most pointedly, IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE. Very good, but, not in the top tier of SF classics. Still, the best in its series with the nadir being ALIEN RESURECTION. And, hey, I even liked Part 3!

PROMETHEUS has the previous quadrilogy to deal with (and, maybe parts of the AVP films), but, it then bites off 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (and 2010) to boot! This is where I think the divide amongst SF fans really exists.

I, for one, really appreciate the attempt at thoughtful SF within a blockbuster franchise. Too many SF, Fantasy and Horror epics these days are little more than old fashioned action pictures dressed up with some SF trappings. Nothing wrong with that when it's done well, but, a steady diet makes one hungry for something weightier. Ray Bradbury's recent passing only emphasizes the point of how few really good films were made from his work - not to mention writers such as Asimov, Heinlein etc.. I am not comparing PROMETHEUS to the best of Bradbury's work, but, it at least toys with some fundamental concepts of what it means to be part of the cosmos.

For all that, I applaud PROMETHEUS. Unfortunately, there's the grinding draw of that old ALIEN plotline that mucks things up. As many have noted, the evolutionary chain has holes the size of black ones that don't quite add up. Mashing together so many divergent storylines makes a hash of character motivations. Noomi Rapace is solid, but her language limitations are noticeable. Theron is fine as the ice queen, but, it bogles the mind that the original intention was for her to play Rapace's role. Don't think that would have worked nearly as well. Michael Fassbender continues to be one of the best actors out there, even if his character's motivations are murky at best. I didn't even recognize Guy Pearce and the part would have been much stronger with the originally intended Max Von Sydow (of course, ANY film is better with Max!).
Did anybody else notice that they forgot to age Guy Pearce's feet in the scene where Rapace finds him on board?

PROMETHEUS is worth seeing, flaws and all. We are obviously invited to expect a sequel, but, PROMETHEUS' reception makes that not the sure thing it once seemed to be. Here's hoping Scott and company (he doesn't seem to want to direct a sequel himself) lean towards what works best in PROMETHEUS, and not give in to the commercial necessities of the ALIEN franchise.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:17 am 
Site Admin

It's worth seeing. It's pretty, and it has some quite accomplished acting.

As for the story ... well, I'll hold my tongue there. If you can't say something nice ...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:11 pm 

I finally saw Prometheus today and really enjoyed it. I don't know why everyone is so down on it. Is it Alien? No and it never could be. The characters weren't as developed as they could have been. But I really enjoyed it and see no reason to pick it apart to the point where I hate it. Maybe everyone whining about it lower my expectations enough to just enjoy a good sci-fi film.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:41 pm 

I thoroughly enjoyed iPROMETHEUS as I was watching it, up until the climax and fake resolution. It's a beautifully shot, well paced film worth experiencing on the big screen, and should be commended for a couple smartly executed gore gags. However, whenever I reflect on films after initial viewings, the thing that sticks with me most is the story. An excellent story helps me appreciate a good film even more, and (as in this case) a bad one nags at me like a sore tooth.

The script here is pretty much garbage, and the build-up to the reveal of it's overt connection to the first ALIEN does the thin plot a disservice and pretty much devalues any interesting ideas it may have been trying to explore independently. Every character in the movie does something at some point that makes no sense for either their character development or the advancement of the story.

So while I chalk it up as a huge disappointment, I don't feel as if I would actually go so far as to say I hated it. I guess the thing that mostly upsets me is that as of right now I have absolutely no desire to ever see this movie again. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I truly expected a lot more.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:48 pm 

I think great expectations have certainly hurt PROMETHEUS in the eyes of a lot of SF fans. And, Scott's "is it a prequel to ALIEN, or is it not?" speculation may have helped the opening weekend's box office, but it also drove up the anxiousness level to extraordinary highs.

It's also very difficult to put the genie back in the bottle. It had been so many years since the 'good' Alien-series films, that it would have been tough for any movie to match them. Remember how deflating the STAR WARS prequels were to expectations? (although, PROMETHEUS is a better film than the first 2 prequels at least).

Heaven help Ridley Scott if he goes through with his plan to do a new BLADE RUNNER film. BLADE RUNNER has become THE acknowledged SF film classic of the last 30 years. Just try and top that..........

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:48 am 

Finally I can add to this topic, I saw Prometheus Tuesday night at the Skyview Drive-in along with The Amazing Spider-Man. Just to get it out of the way let me say I liked The Amazing Spider-Man, good effect, good acting, good story even though it had a few similiar plot points to Raimi's Spider-Man.

Ok, now for Prometheus....Did I like it? Yes. Did I love it? No. I was actually happy to see an "Alien" movie that wasn't just another "Alien" movie. Prometheus has many flaws (see all the above posts) but I appreciate what Scott was trying to do with this movie. Think along the lines of HALLOWEEN III: Season of the Witch, John Carpenter wanted to make another movie about Halloween but not about Micheal Myers. Ridley Scott was on the same path here and either you "get it" or you don't. I have always thought HALLOWEEN III was a strong entry into the Horror/Sci-Fi genre and I think Prometheus will, Like HALLOWEEN III, one day be considered a cult classic but will never achieve the status of the original ALIEN.

Why did Charlize Theron Character have to die? She was a strong character and you would think she would be smart enough to take three steps to the side instead of trying to out run the falling ship LONG WAYS