The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:02 pm 

I agree that he wasn't trying to be dismissive, it's just that the word can be interpreted that way. That's all.

I have not seen Stranger yet, but that seems to be an exception to the rule of Will Ferrell. I was speaking about what he normally does, as in his SNL work, Anchorman, Talladega Nights, Blades of Glory, etc. Again, I LIKE Ferrell and his sense of humor. I was just using it as an example of "silly humor".

Now can we please get some real marathon news going so we have something else to talk about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:51 am 

All right, this thread has gotten entirely too silly...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:45 am 

This post have become the proverbial 1970's Chevy Nova stuck in a ditch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:46 am 

There needs to be a term to describe what I am searching for. The following are all in the same species:

Sclock
Grindhouse
B Movie
Cheesy movie

I just through in Silly as a way to say....it's not low budget (b movie), it's not schlock (bad), its not grindhouse (exploitation), its not cheesy (cheaply made, but not necessarily as cheap as a b movie), so I just used the term silly. I really didn't put too much thought into my word choice, but it certainly has sparked quite the discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:53 am 

carter9000 wrote:
There needs to be a term to describe what I am searching for.

Popcorn movie?

http://www.joblo.com/reviews.php?id=58& ... blo_movies

Quote:
Popcorn Movie (definition): A movie which based on its merits of proper story-telling techniques, unique style and believable characters, would fail on all counts. A Popcorn Movie is a film that allows you to turn off your brain before viewing, crunch down on plenty of nachos and popcorn without having to worry about missing any relevant dialogue, and revel in its lunacy of plot, excessive action sequences and shallow objectives. It is NOT a film to take seriously.

With depth of character non-existent, this type of film allows you to enjoy the unemotional attachment to each person in the movie, and soak in only its relevant goals of fun, divertissement and campy fodder. With checks on all counts above, this kind of movie generally doesn't score more than a respectable 7/10 (ARMAGEDDON topped 8/10 because it actually managed to add some emotional attachment to some of its characters...a no-no in "pure popcorn" film), but does provide some brainless entertainment to all those looking for a quick fix of empty amusement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:26 pm 

The "popcorn movie" definition isn't half bad, but the half that is - using ARMAGGEDON as the cited example is MIGHTY bad! ARMAGGEDON is one STALE bag 'o popcorn! It's like those cheapo theaters that reheat pre-bagged popcorn in their popcorn machines (YES, I've seen it done!) and sell them as "freshly popped"!

Metaluna wrote:
carter9000 wrote:
There needs to be a term to describe what I am searching for.

Popcorn movie?

http://www.joblo.com/reviews.php?id=58& ... blo_movies

Quote:
Popcorn Movie (definition): A movie which based on its merits of proper story-telling techniques, unique style and believable characters, would fail on all counts. A Popcorn Movie is a film that allows you to turn off your brain before viewing, crunch down on plenty of nachos and popcorn without having to worry about missing any relevant dialogue, and revel in its lunacy of plot, excessive action sequences and shallow objectives. It is NOT a film to take seriously.

With depth of character non-existent, this type of film allows you to enjoy the unemotional attachment to each person in the movie, and soak in only its relevant goals of fun, divertissement and campy fodder. With checks on all counts above, this kind of movie generally doesn't score more than a respectable 7/10 (ARMAGEDDON topped 8/10 because it actually managed to add some emotional attachment to some of its characters...a no-no in "pure popcorn" film), but does provide some brainless entertainment to all those looking for a quick fix of empty amusement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:59 am 

I think Armageddon scored well because we enjoyed seeing Paris get leveled. :twisted:

I liked Armageddon. I liked ID4. I like movies where a lot of big stuff (or models of big stuff) get blasted to smithereens. The key, as mentioned, is to be able to unplug your brain. I initally was bugged by the who computer virus thing until my wife pointed out:

"What, you believed it up until now?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:02 am 

See a Mac can save the world. If he uses an PC the humans loose.