Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:41 am 
Site Admin

Son_of_Zardoz wrote:
My God its full of cheese
It's the cheesiest
Not for the Lactose Intolernet
Cheese glorious Cheese

I can't believe you would post this list without including the patently obvious:

Behold the Power of Cheese!

But, let's not start mistaking "camp" for "cheese" ... I would call "Flash Gordon" campy but brilliant, and in no way-shape-or-form equate it with "fromage on toast."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:02 am 

I was thinking more of "Invasion of the '80s" as a theme.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:38 am 
Site Admin

carter9000 wrote:
A satirical comedy, by definition should be silly! I was in no way saying that the movie was cheesy or schlocky, afterall, I haven't even seen it. I think we should play it. It looks great!

Uhhh, Carter........have you seen BEING THERE? Or some of the less over the top Monty Python material, to name a few? Or DR. STRANGELOVE, most of which revolves around wordplay and the absurdity of the situation? It's the difference between a film like STRANGELOVE and a Will Ferrell flick that illustrates the broad range of satirical comedy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:57 pm 

It's crumbeleivable?
Or It's Cheesebeleivable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:14 pm 

Quote:
Uhhh, Carter........have you seen BEING THERE? Or some of the less over the top Monty Python material, to name a few? Or DR. STRANGELOVE, most of which revolves around wordplay and the absurdity of the situation? It's the difference between a film like STRANGELOVE and a Will Ferrell flick that illustrates the broad range of satirical comedy.

I have seen Being There, point taken. BUT Stangelove IS silly. You say that it "revolves around wordplay and the absurdity of the situation." Well, the definition of silly is "absurd or ridiculous". AH HA! Put that in your pipe and smoke it Mr. Smarty Pants.

I'm just saying that silly and comedy go hand in hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:21 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/silly

HA! Your serve, sir!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:40 pm 

I think pancakes are silly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:06 am 
Site Admin

So does he...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:50 am 

What a silly debate!

Seriously though, I think the term "silly" implies something negative, whether that was intended or not. It seems to imply something childish or non-intellectual. Like a Rob Schneider movie. It's like when people say, "oh, you're just being silly". No one ever says, "oh, you're just being intelligent". Babies are silly. Monkeys are silly. Clowns are silly. Whereas a film like Fido seems to be the opposite of that, on the spectrum of humor. Fido appears to be about something, and has an original idea behind it. Which is very different from, say, Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo.

I think satire CAN be silly, but doesn't necessarily have to be. Generally satire is done in the service of some higher idea, or a point they're trying to get across (like how ridiculous disaster movies are, for example). Silliness generally is done for its own sake, just to be "silly" or "goofy". Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:51 am 

What a silly debate!

Seriously though, I think the term "silly" implies something negative, whether that was intended or not. It seems to imply something childish or non-intellectual. Like a Rob Schneider movie. It's like when people say, "oh, you're just being silly". No one ever says, "oh, you're just being intelligent". Babies are silly. Monkeys are silly. Clowns are silly. Whereas a film like Fido seems to be the opposite of that, on the spectrum of humor. Fido appears to be about something, and has an original idea behind it. Which is very different from, say, Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo.

I think satire CAN be silly, but doesn't necessarily have to be. Generally satire is done in the service of some higher idea, or a point they're trying to get across (like how ridiculous disaster movies are, for example). Silliness generally is done for its own sake, just to be "silly" or "goofy". Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:52 am 

My computer, as you can see, is quite silly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:51 pm 

From Dicionary.com (note definition 2):

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/silly

Touche!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:09 pm 

Again, it's not just the dictionary definition that's important, but how the word is used in everyday language. Note definitions 1 and 8. Rightly or wrongly, the word "silly" has come to indicate something frivolous and inconsequential. It's a dismissive term. A film about the hypocrisy of 1950s America, as absurd and ridiculous as it may be, can't be easily dismissed as "silly". Will Ferrell running around in his underwear is "silly". I like Ferrell, but his humor is generally not about anything other than itself. A film like Fido is different than that, that's all I'm trying to say. It's like saying that Dawn of the Dead is simply a "gory zombie movie".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

And who owns Dictionary.com? Why, Lexico Publishing Group, notorious agents of the New World Order and regular attendees at Bohemian Grove. They were recently fined $25,000 by the government for hiring contra thugs to guard their Nicuraguan pancake factory. Trust them at your own expense!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:11 pm 

WolfNC17 wrote:
Again, it's not just the dictionary definition that's important, but how the word is used in everyday language. Note definitions 1 and 8. Rightly or wrongly, the word "silly" has come to indicate something frivolous and inconsequential. It's a dismissive term. A film about the hypocrisy of 1950s America, as absurd and ridiculous as it may be, can't be easily dismissed as "silly". Will Ferrell running around in his underwear is "silly". I like Ferrell, but his humor is generally not about anything other than itself. A film like Fido is different than that, that's all I'm trying to say. It's like saying that Dawn of the Dead is simply a "gory zombie movie".

I agree with your assessment that it is a dismissive term, but I don't think it was Carter's intention to be dismissive towards this year's selections. I also hope that the two or three (or hopefully four or five) features yet to be added could in no way be considered silly. We've ordered our cheese and haven't decided on our wine.

And have you seen the sensational Will Ferrell movie STRANGER THAN FICTION? His least silly role to date and it is brilliant. I even think he gets in his underwear in that one.