The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:05 am 
Site Admin

A few additions have nearly filled the 24th annual planetary rotation:

FIDO (2006) A co-Columbus Premiere with the Deep Focus Film Festival posits a world where the dead have risen from the grave, but lost the war, and are now reduced to the slavery of domestic labor. Dylan Baker, Carrie-Anne Moss and Billy Connolly are the skeptical young Timmy's happy family unit.

FLASH GORDON (1980) It's a disco-influenced take on Alex Raymond's comic strip interplanetary hero. Sexy and stupid, it's colorful camp with Max von Sydow as Ming the Merciless and Queen's rousing soundtrack.

STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE (1979) Robert Wise launches the big screen series when the original crew was so much younger. Expect a STAR TREK trailer countdown back to #1. Sit long and prosper?

NIGHT OF THE COMET (1984) It's a Kelli Maroney double feature! It's the end of the world as we know it? Valley Girls inherit the earth!

12 MONKEYS (1995) Sci Fi Marathon Hall of Famer Terry Gilliam's extrapolation of the classic Chris Marker short LA JETTE wants you to join the Army of the 12 Monkeys!

KING DINOSAUR (1955) There's new planet in our solar system just begging to be visited. The two man, two woman expedition confront giant beasties, including lizards in makeup recycled from ONE MILLION B.C. and more stock footage than you've seen in one place in a long time. From the always amusing low-budget king Bert I. Gordon.

FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE SPACEMONSTER (1965) Martians in search of bikini-clad breeding stock to repopulate their devastated planet clash with a robot astronaut run amok. Filmed in Cocoa Beach and Puerto Rico with a swingin' soundtrack by the Poets and the Distant Cousins.

MINDWARP: AN INFINITY OF TERROR aka GALAXY OF TERROR (1981)
Here's a Roger Corman-produced ALIEN-inspired cheapie with Erin Moran, Ray Walston, Robert Englund, Sid Haig and production design by James Cameron. A space rescue mission goes horribly awry as crew members are done in by their worst nightmares including the above-mentioned giant worm incident.

CHOPPING MALL (1986)
The new robotic mall security guards take no prisoners. What a bad night for an after hours teen make out party in the furniture store. Kelli Maroney stars as the new girl in town, lightning strikes, a head explodes, and Mary Woronov, Paul Bartel and Dick Miller stop by to pick up quick pay checks.

SLITHER (2006)
More worm problems! David Cronenberg's THEY CAME FROM WITHIN meets Brian Yuzna's SOCIETY meets TREMORS in this small town alien invasion B-movie slugfest with all the pizzazz a modern special effects budget allows.

Plus a SURPRISE CLASSIC to help clear your palate of all this cheese.

And hopefully another Premiere!

Plus trailers, cartoons, shorts, contests, chrome survivor certificates, and other thrills too numerous to mention...

And experience oneness with the Marathoid Throng for an entire planetary rotation!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:39 am 

12 Monkeys and Star Trek are great additions. I haven't seen Star Trek in ages. 12 Monkeys is something I have whined about for eons. Now I get my wish! Night of the Comet is also a much requested film. Wow! A Kelli Maroney double feature...well, not that they are playing back to back. Interestingly they both have scenes that take place in the shopping mall. I can't wait!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:21 am 

Heavy on cheese-very heavy! I HATE Star Trek but haven't seen the original movie in over 20 years so I'm a little curious. If I still hate it I can sleep or go out and eat. 12 Monkeys is a must that I've also been begging for. Night of the Comet I love, but I just watched the new DVD so if I fall asleep, I don't mind. I know Bruce and Jeff and a lot of others would love another premiere. I would love Robocop more than any other movie I can think of this year. That has the potential to be the most fun marathon in ages. I can't wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:22 am 

carter9000 wrote:
Night of the Comet is also a much requested film. Wow! A Kelli Maroney double feature...well, not that they are playing back to back. Interestingly they both have scenes that take place in the shopping mall. I can't wait!

Well it was the 80s.

Looks good. Wish I could go. We need a transporter beam or a wormhole or something between here and there.

Can we get Night of the Comet for Boston next year?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:54 am 

Sweet additions! It keeps getting better and better. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:53 am 

Looks great. I actually like the orignal Star Trek movie, I remember arguing with my parents when I was a kid to stay up and watch it on TV since it was going to end well after bedtime. I think I dozed a bit (it is slow in spots) but I thought the twist at the end was cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:08 pm 

Bruce man this is the best lineup ever, there is not one movie I don't want to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:15 pm 

And the '80s invasion continues!

New additions: 12 MONKEYS, woot!
NIGHT OF THE COMET, meh. Would be great if we weren't already cheese heavy but you never know.
STAR TREK, yawn. But like many of you I actually have not seen it in it's entirety since the first theatrical run so who knows, maybe it'll surprise me.

All in all, looks like a good lineup, good choices. On paper, I would have preferred one more solid adult "serious" film like CLOCKWORK ORANGE, but I'm sure it'll all work out. My best marathon experiences have always been unexpected moments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:23 pm 

P.S. Thank you for at least 11 features and possibly 12!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:29 pm 

NIGHT OF THE COMET...BEST MARATHON LINE UP EVER!

:lol:

I can not wait to see this movie on the big screen. I have loved this movie, I'm not sure why, but I have. Maybe it was the fact they could choose any car after everyone was gone.

There is a young Beltran from Star Trek's Voyager in it as well.

Can't wait to see Chopping Mall too, what every happened to Kelli Maroney...I'll have to check IMDB.

Why can't they be back to back.

:)>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:43 pm 

bar2b2 wrote:

NIGHT OF THE COMET (1984) It's a Kelli Maroney double feature! It's the end of the world as we know it? Valley Girls inherit the earth!

Isn't it also a Mary Woronov double feature?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:49 pm 

Brilliant line-up!

I love almost all of the additions.

Definitely a big fan of Night Of The Comet, that was a classic. I don't know about showing it back-to-back with Chopping Mall though, that might be more 80's goodness than some people could take. Then again, why not, they are pretty fun.

Star Trek TMP isn't my favorite movie from that franchise, but it's been sufficiently long enough since I've seen it that I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy this showing of it.

I'm really looking forward to this year's marathon now.
Not that I wasn't before, but I really am now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:53 pm 

What premieres are you pursuing? More than anything, I would love to see Sunshine. That would be a total Coup!!!!

There is definately room for one more film, the total running time is just under 18 hours.

Sunshine!!! I will keep my fingers crossed. And hey, if they are having trouble deciding how to market the film, we would be a perfect screening audience!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:07 pm 

While I'm disappointed in not seeing the likes of THE THING, ROBOCOP, METROPOLIS, CLOCKWORK, etc. I am very pleased to point out what no one has yet. 10 film titles announced: ALL new to the marathon!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:25 am 

So, finally re-registering and seeing the lineup as it stands, this will be a wonderful time spent in Columbus in April. I only wish that the CWRU sci-fi marathon could have all new or never-been-shown-before film list. Not to say that they have never disappointed me in the past; but in 32 years of that marathon, certain films have been shown up to six times already. Way to go, Jeff and Bruce! Looking forward to the alternate way of blowing off steam from Income Tax Deadline Weekend instead of getting drunk or hanging oneself. tata4now