The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:38 pm 

It seems that it wasn't worth going. Well if the science fiction marathon is going to be held at the Drexel every film will be digital projected. Unless it is going to be moved over to the Grandview for the 35mm projector.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

Zeke covered most of the bases in his take on the Marathon. As many of you know, I've grown to love the CWRU fest for its often off-kilter lineup, which usually does a great job balancing the well-known with the eccentric and eclectic. But another reason I've grown to love that 30+ hours in Strosacker Auditorium is because of the dual 35mm projector set-up, which has always given the Case Film Society greater leeway in what they can show.

Which made the glut of video content this past weekend all the more disappointing. I know that it's getting harder to book 35mm prints, but as the most recent Horror Marathon showed, it's not impossible. To be fair, outside of the print we showed several years back, LOGAN'S RUN is almost impossible to see on film. And the Blu-Ray that the screening was apparently sourced from looked much nicer than I expected. But the projector calibration had problems with semi-washed out colors and greyish blacks. This wasn't a deal breaker, but as DVD after DVD unspoooled...er, I mean materialized before us, the limitations of the format became more and more obvious. And as Zeke pointed out, the gorgeous 35mm prints of SOLARIS and HUGO, with their deep blacks and color palettes, made the video projection look even more like a cheap compromise.

Now, I'm not aware of the behind the scenes machinations of this year's Marathon. Word was that Universal had possibly put a temporary hold on loaning out their 35mm prints, although I haven't heard about this development on the programmer's boards I frequent. But even if that's true, I have to believe that between Park Circus (which, among others, handles most of the MGM library), Sony, Paramount and the collector/archive circuit, there had to have been enough quality film content to assemble an entire lineup. I mean, fer chrissakes, we had to watch IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE on DVD, but we got a 35mm prints of LOST SKELETON! Granted, I hate the Larry Blamire oeuvre (although he seems like a nice guy)....but still.

Also, don't get me wrong: there are definite benefits to quality digital projection. In recent months, the Wexner Center (whose booth is run by a certain Host Organism of ours, who also doubles as my partner in crime) has run absolutely stunning 4K DCPs of GUNS OF NAVARONE and LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, and very nice 2K DCPs of HEAVEN'S GATE and quite a few new films. And, when it's been the only choice, their 4K projector (which is top of the modern line) has made Blu-Rays look pretty damn good. But, as I mentioned at the Horror Marathon, there are only a handful of 2K and 4K genre titles currently available from the studios. In five years, that number will (hopefully) grow. But until then, film is still a very desirable medium.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:30 pm 

What will it hold for this year's marathon since the Drexel converted to digital last year?
Since there is a lack of films that are 2k and 4k?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:08 pm 

Questions:

1. Turnout?
2. How many were there mid-way through? For the last film?
3. Were there as many Mystery Science Theater 3K "auditioners" as have been mentioned in the past blurting out any old thing just to keep their mouths moving?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:41 pm 

L.A. Connection wrote:
Questions:
1. Turnout?
2. How many were there mid-way through? For the last film?
3. Were there as many Mystery Science Theater 3K "auditioners" as have been mentioned in the past blurting out any old thing just to keep their mouths moving?

I'll bite.
1. A slight drop (1/10th?) from last year. Hard to judge. Especially due to what's stated below.
2. Midway, as many or more than at the start. There was a huge walkaway two films (Paranorman & Watchmen) before the end.
I don't think it was the film choice. I am sure some left due to a combination of the hour and the familiarity of the flics. But the ability to pay for films on a per film basis led to a big departure. Some people won't stay up after midnight on a Sunday if they have a choice - (and perhaps have already seen the films.) The same choice, to pay & see some, but not all, films, beefed up the auditorium during the full day, Saturday.
3. The best year in recent memory. Fewer comments, and they were on average, funnier. The exception is the same idiot who has been yelling "Jump her" at every appearance of a nubile female for the past 25 years. And yes. His physical safety has been threatened on more than one occasion if he did not shut up. On one occasion by me, at a distance of approximately two inches from his nose.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

Pogo's take is right on. One thing I'll add to the mix: the weather on Saturday was obscenely nice. I took a ten minute walk to grab coffee and almost felt guilty for sitting inside all day. For me, one of the attractions of the CWRU Marathon has always been the fairly rotten weather that descends upon Cleveland the weekend of, which usually lends to a hibernation mentality and serves as a great motivation to camp out inside. When it's sunny and 40+ outside, those factors are greatly reduced.

And yes, the crowd has been much better these past few years. I used to attend to the CWRU fest knowing that I could ignore most of the talking, something I haven't had to worry about as much in recent times (although there's still a fair amount of dumb jokes, etc.)

And one final piece of gratuitous red meat: I love the 2002 SOLARIS remake. For me, it's one of the more intelligent and mature stabds at science fiction of the last decade. I still love the original even more, but Soderbergh's version is an admirable and engaging film.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:50 pm 

pogo wrote:
....The exception is the same idiot who has been yelling "Jump her" at every appearance of a nubile female for the past 25 years. And yes. His physical safety has been threatened on more than one occasion if he did not shut up. On one occasion by me, at a distance of approximately two inches from his nose.

A group of very intimidating looking women (perhaps football players) should surround him next year and dare him to repeat those lines to their faces. Seriously.

Joe Neff wrote:
One thing I'll add to the mix: the weather on Saturday was obscenely nice. I took a ten minute walk to grab coffee and almost felt guilty for sitting inside all day....For me, one of the attractions of the CWRU Marathon has always been the fairly rotten weather that descends upon Cleveland the weekend of, which usually lends to a hibernation mentality and serves as a great motivation to camp out inside. When it's sunny and 40+ outside, those factors are greatly reduced... And one final piece of gratuitous red meat: I love the 2002 SOLARIS remake. For me, it's one of the more intelligent and mature stabds at science fiction of the last decade. I still love the original even more, but Soderbergh's version is an admirable and engaging film.

I guess this is one of the reasons that Boston was never able to get their summertime Horror marathons to work.

I like Soderbergh's SOLARIS a bit, myself. (His indie contemporary, Q.Tarantino deserves 1/100th the praise Soderbergh is warranted). Still, I can understand why most SF and general audiences hate/loathe the movie. Without having seen Tarkovsky's masterpiece, I don't know how anybody could even figure out WTF it's about! I saw it on opening weekend and I've rarely seen as many walkouts. And, as has become legendary, it is one of the few major films to ever get an "F" grade from Cinemascore. (they are a polling firm that surveys audiences nationwide opening weekend)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:53 pm 

L.A. Connection wrote:
pogo wrote:
....The exception is the same idiot who has been yelling "Jump her" at every appearance of a nubile female for the past 25 years. And yes. His physical safety has been threatened on more than one occasion if he did not shut up. On one occasion by me, at a distance of approximately two inches from his nose.

A group of very intimidating looking women (perhaps football players) should surround him next year and dare him to repeat those lines to their faces. Seriously.

It happened. More than a decade ago a couple of women walked up to where he was reclining on the stage, leaned over and said about three intense (inaudible) sentences. When he protested they made some very specific threat in louder voices. Don't remember what it was, but I do remember a loud cheer from the audience & a big round of applause.
He shut up the rest of the evening and was notably more subdued for the next couple of years.
I have thought that I should speak to the management about giving him a pre-emptive warning. CWRU Film Society has gotten a lot tighter on behavior. Years of laser pointer annoyance finally led to an absolute ban & promise of instant expulsion for use.
The other notable discipline was that after years of turning a blind eye to alcohol consumption (even for a few years allowing a plastic keg in) they tightened up when a real drunk started a fight.
Drinking at a marathon seems quite stupid, it's hard enough to stay awake. But we are talking 40-50% students. Non-disruptive indulgence is okay, I guess, but an idiot spoiled it for the benign stupids who felt that drinking was part of any celebration.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly