The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:34 pm 

According to the Drexel Theater website the theater went full digital projection in all three theaters. Nowhere on the site that they kept any of the 35MM projection equiptment. Now that being said that what will happen to the film slection for this year science fiction marathon? Will the powers at be have to move to another theater for 35MM? For some people on this message board that it is a deal breaker. I prefer 35MM but I know that the 35MM era is about to be over since Kodak and Fuji are suppose to end the manufacturing of celluoid.

No more Spaceboy? Selection of films are going to be harder? Answers please.

Why didn't they go for 4k resolution? 2k is Blu Ray quality.

Everyting is going to be on DVD, Blu Ray, or what the files that the projection system uses?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:33 pm 

I still think Mershon Auditorium on the OSU campus would make an interesting marathon venue, and it's still fully equipped for changeover-style 35mm and 16mm projection. Being right on campus could boost attendance too, especially if a student discount is offered. A write-up in the Lantern the week before plus flyers in the dorms and all along High St. would help get the word out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

I've seen a bit of ... misleading ... info here, so I thought I'd try to clear a few things up. (At least from my limited knowledge bag.)

1: Yes, 2k digital is about 10% better than "BluRay" quality at the default aspect ratio, but it's not an exact comparison. BluRay storage does not morph to all aspect ratios as well as a 2k DI projector can display (or as well as a 2k digital source can be provided.) You won't see much difference at 1:85, but you will see it at 2:33. Further, BluRay is also playing a compressed format with FAR less storage space, and compression artifacts will contribute to reducing the quality of the presentation. The numbers may look similar, but the equipment is NOT the same. And sadly, the average ticket-buying patron tends to find a BluRay run through a 2k digital rig to be a better presentation (and more consistent) than film.

2: 2k DI has become the standard in Hollywood for laser encoding digital inter-negatives and inter-positives as part of bulk 35mm print production. Craptastic as it may seem, these days the 35mm print you're watching in the theater was more than likely printed from a 2k source.

3: Almost every digital projection feature film you've seen in Columbus in the past 10 years has been 2k. The majority of the houses in town only have 2k equipment, and even houses like the Lennox, which was originally set up with 4k, hasn't seen a 4k digital print in years. The Wexner has a 4k rig, but they don't get a lot of 4k prints to show. 95% of digital distribution is 2k, and the audience doesn't seem to be lighting torches and grabbing pitchforks.

4: As for the Drexel, I know nothing at all about what's coming up for the next marathon, what's going on in their booth, or what anyone's plans for the next Sci-Fi Marathon are. The last I'd heard, they still weren't basically "done" up in the booth and the inclusion of a 35mm projector (at least for the main house) wasn't out of the question. What that really means, though, I have no idea. It could change before I'm done with this post.

As always, as soon as we have anything official or important or even relatively interesting to say on the matter, we'll say it. Asking the question over and over again doesn't magically make the answers appear.

Do I want to see 35mm go away? Hell no, I still prefer the warmth and the imperfections and the clarity and brightness of a pristine print. But I'm a dinosaur, and I'm going to be killed by an asteroid any day now, so ... whatever.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:25 pm 
Site Admin

BTW, for what it's worth, this is my PERSONAL OPINION about projection I've seen in my lifetime ...

[Best]
15/70 IMAX
4k IMAX
70mm shot on 70mm*
4k Digital
70mm shot on 35mm (blown up)*
2k Digital
35mm shot on 35mm*
BluRay on 2/4k Digital
BluRay on LCD (ala Grandview or Old Drexel)
Standard Def DVD on LCD
[Worst]

* Assumes a bright film shot on fine-grain stock, bright bulb, well maintained print, etc.