The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:30 pm 

willcail wrote:
Corrections from an earlier post. When I was taking to the supervisior/MGT (He looks like a shorter version of Joe Neff with an old timey stach) according to him that houe one does have an 4k digital projector. House 2 and 3 are 2k with the upgrade option to 4K. According to the same person that 2001, Safety, and Inception all are 4k DCP's. The Monolith Monsters and The Mole People are optical discs. The Fiy is unknown.

That would be welcome news. However, on the Drexel site they mention only 2K projection (underlined mine):

"GET READY FOR THE ULTIMATE DIGITAL EXPERIENCE AT THE DREXEL! All new state-of-the-art digital projection and sound is now at the Drexel!

We will continue to provide the same top-quality movies you’ve come to expect, and will now show them using the most advanced technology for the best visual and audio experience possible. This means consistent, sharp, gorgeous 2K Digital images with much better sound performance and clarity..."

http://www.drexel.net/index.php/blog

And, I love this quote after the jump : "said Drexel Theatre Artistic Director Jeff Frank. “The improvements will provide the best in sight and sound quality, comparable to listening to a CD after hearing a 45 rpm record.""

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:38 pm 

Can Bruce clear this issue up for us? I talk to that Joe Neff looking person today when I went back and got the proper SF 30 ticket.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:37 pm 

L.A. Connection wrote:
willcail wrote:
Corrections from an earlier post. When I was taking to the supervisior/MGT (He looks like a shorter version of Joe Neff with an old timey stach) according to him that houe one does have an 4k digital projector. House 2 and 3 are 2k with the upgrade option to 4K. According to the same person that 2001, Safety, and Inception all are 4k DCP's. The Monolith Monsters and The Mole People are optical discs. The Fiy is unknown.

That would be welcome news. However, on the Drexel site they mention only 2K projection (underlined mine):

"GET READY FOR THE ULTIMATE DIGITAL EXPERIENCE AT THE DREXEL! All new state-of-the-art digital projection and sound is now at the Drexel!

We will continue to provide the same top-quality movies you’ve come to expect, and will now show them using the most advanced technology for the best visual and audio experience possible. This means consistent, sharp, gorgeous 2K Digital images with much better sound performance and clarity..."

http://www.drexel.net/index.php/blog

And, I love this quote after the jump : "said Drexel Theatre Artistic Director Jeff Frank. “The improvements will provide the best in sight and sound quality, comparable to listening to a CD after hearing a 45 rpm record.""

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Could the key word here be "consistent"? Meaning they have 2K, at least, in all three houses. That doesn't mean that they don't have a 4K in the main house.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:48 pm 

Here is a link to an article about the 12 computers that are bastards.

http://io9.com/12-computers-who-are-com ... -470182756

Now Hal from 2001 is feature in the article

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:32 pm 

Really excited about this year's lineup already. It's already worth the ticket price for me - 2001 (which I've always wanted to see in a theater) plus the Cronenberg Fly, and those two classic 1950s Universal Sci-Fi titles that are both a lot of fun. Everything else at this point is just extra - can't wait to hear what the rest of the lineup will be.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:46 am 

The Mole People is not really a classic. The IMDB rating is 4.4 out of 10 stars. Heck the movie was feature during season eight of MST3K.
Anything with John Agar is best to stay way from.

The Monolith Monsters IMDB rating is 6.4 out of 10. Now the premise of The Monolith Monsters is trite but it doesn't have John Agar. Now I do hope that snarky comments will commence for these so called "classics"

Now when will the rest of the lineup be announce? it is about three weeks until the marathon. The same goes if theater one have a 4k or a 2k digital projector?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:44 am 

Geez, what did John Agar do to you? I actually got to know John a bit towards the end of his life. He was a nice gentleman and spent time with genre fans like ourselves.

TARANTULA, MIRACLE MILE and REVENGE OF THE CREATURE are all decent genre related films he appeared in that would fit in a marathon and shouldn't be hooted off the screen.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:25 pm 

I did check and yup Revenge of the Creature was feature on season eight of MST3K as well. So it deserved to be hooted off the screen. If any movie was feature on MST3K its safe to snark on.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:02 pm 

ATTENTION POWERS THAT BE:

With only 23 days left till the marathon I think now would be a good time to give up a few more titles in the movie linup

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:13 pm 

I think the rest of the movies will be repeated showings of Jason X showing between the other six films. :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:33 pm 

Can't wait for the announcement of Jason X to the lineup. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:43 pm 

willcail wrote:
The Mole People is not really a classic. The IMDB rating is 4.4 out of 10 stars. Heck the movie was feature during season eight of MST3K.
Anything with John Agar is best to stay way from.

The Monolith Monsters IMDB rating is 6.4 out of 10. Now the premise of The Monolith Monsters is trite but it doesn't have John Agar. Now I do hope that snarky comments will commence for these so called "classics"

Suffice it to say I don't rely on IMDb ratings or anyone from the cast of MST3k to determine what films I like and which I don't.

And I consider the Universal Classic Sci-Fi box set (found here:http://amzn.com/B0013XZ6SY) to be one of the most enjoyable DVD sets I ever purchased. Both Mole People and Monolith Monsters (as well as 6 other titles in the set) are great popcorn movies that are loads of fun. The ninth and tenth, Dr. Cyclops and Incredible Shrinking Man, both key entries in the genre, are more complex films.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:55 am 

After I watced the trailer for Upside Down I wasn't impress. When I look at the Rotten Tomatoes score and the ratings among people who see this film is 42%. Sigh.

As of right now this isn't a SF Marathon. There are two many premireres and or recient movies. There are hardly any classic science fiction movies or cult science fiction movies in this year's lackluster lineup.

Whoever did this lineup just killed the sprit of the SF Marathon. I'm not impress. I can see why the shrinking audience.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:56 am 

So I went to Rotten Tomatoes and came away with the thought I am looking forward to Upside Down.

Quote:
Simply put, this is one of the craziest films to come along in a while and I can confidently say that anyone who sees it will either hail it is some kind of crackpot masterpiece or dismiss it as one of the silliest damn things they've ever seen. -Peter Sobczynski Chicago Sun-Times

Quote:
At a time when so many movies look alike, and studio productions sometimes look aggressively ugly, here's a quirky vision at the intersection of sci-fi and romance. - Joe Morgenstern Wall Street Journal

Quote:
"Upside Down" is such a gorgeous wreck that I could almost sense Terry Gilliam somewhere muttering, "Wait a minute, I should have been the one to screw up this idea." -Kyle Smith New York Post
Yes I realize this is a negative review, but that sentence intrigues me.

Some other films folks want or have recently enjoyed. The Green Slime? 39. Jason X? 35. The Black Hole which many folks enjoyed a few years back has a 45.

I get you aren't happy with the lineup. And I'm probably an outlioer and maybe that is why I keep coming and others don't but I am here for more than just the films. If this is as bad as you think, there should be some enjoyable riffs. I do think they could drop a couple 2010 or newer films for something from the 70s-90s. Not sure what that is, though, I would almost prefer something to to seeing Blade Runner, Aliens, etc again.

What concerns me more than the films shown is the rapid turnover in the lineup. I understand films fall through and not sure how that changes with Digitial, but I assume even though a copy is available, if the copyright owner has no interest in letting it be shown or wants more than the theater thinks is reasonable, it won't show up. I assume Bruce will address this at the marathon which is why I'm not pulling my hair out over it.

Providing feedback to the Drexel might be more helpful than to continually rip the marathon here. If someone is looking to see if they want to come, a constant litany of complaints about how poorly it is programmed is not helpful. I'm not sure what I'm suggesting. I don't want sunshine and roses nor do I want you not to say anything. I gues what I should do is skip your posts because I find you are bringing me down.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:30 pm 

Upside Down is playing? Aw hell, I actually want to see that. Now I REALLY wish I wasn't sick. Dammit!! I need to find a way to make a miraculous recovery by Saturday... stupid slow wheels of medicine.

Rotten Tomatoes is for people who don't value their own opinions. Movies are not a numbers game. What if (gasp) you agree with the minority who liked it? THEN what do you do? Watch the films you are interested in, and form your own opinions, for crying out loud.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next