The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:24 am 

That's the perfect ending for a yearly event with no set date.

We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when, but I know we'll meet again some sunny day.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:59 am 

Which is why i am afraid to end on it, to be quite honest. That thought occurred to me as well.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:16 am 

The wikipedia entry of Dr Strangelove doesn't classified is as SF. IMDB list Dr Strangelove as Comedy War movie. So no Dr Strangelove isn't SF.

So keep lowering the standards Drexel keep lowering the standards. Soon the SF Marathon will become a fest or a festival and it will not be 24 for hours.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:22 am 

This is why you are my

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:57 am 

12:00 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY - (Good Get it out of the way while we are awake)

3:15 DANGER 5/TIME OF THE ROBOTS - (I would have played DR CYCLOPS Here)

5:15 the 30th Annual Costume Contest

5:30 SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED (Back to Back Premieres?)

7:45 INCEPTION (I would have played this last and Played THE MONOLITH MONSTERS Here)

10:40 SURPRISE SCI-FI FEATURE (PLEASE Be JASON X)

12:30 VANISHING WAVES - Ohio Premiere

3:00 DR CYCLOPS

4:45 UPSIDE DOWN - Ohio Premiere

6:40 SPACE MILKSHAKE - Midwest Premiere

8:15 THE MONOLITH MONSTERS

10:10 DR STRANGELOVE, OR HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LOVE THE BOMB

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:50 am 

willcail wrote:
The wikipedia entry of Dr Strangelove doesn't classified is as SF. IMDB list Dr Strangelove as Comedy War movie. So no Dr Strangelove isn't SF.

So keep lowering the standards Drexel keep lowering the standards. Soon the SF Marathon will become a fest or a festival and it will not be 24 for hours.

Will, you are an unparalleled master of the straw man argument.
Earlier this week, you claimed that our frustrations towards you specifically had been successful and that you "got it," yet this is a prime example of why NO ONE wants to debate your points. Like many have said before, just because you post the EXACT SAME THING over and over again doesn't make you more right.
You've stated your opinion, we get it, move on or evolve your position. PLEASE STOP REPEATING YOURSELF.

In the interest of civility, I will argue my position on the SciFi/not SciFi debate.
No one is disputing your point. You make a good point that Dr. Strangelove should not be classified as a "science fiction" film. However, what most members of this board would agree is this: save your argument for a bad movie.
Though Strangelove has mere trace elements of SciFi at best, it's inclusion in a "science fiction" marathon is not entirely out of place, and given it's nearly undisputed quality, it's genre definition should not matter. Nor should it's inclusion be taken as some sort of doomsday sign of the marathon devolving in any way.

I'm curious why this was announced at the last minute, as it seems to be a "butts in seats" kind of movie. But, then again, I'm curious about all kinds of things when it comes to Drexel marketing, especially this year.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:16 am 
Site Admin

Wait! Did someone say straw man?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:39 am 

Joe, as I stated before I would LIKE TO SEE WICKERMAN WITH A CROWD. I even have a copy of the film on Betamax.

Now if we, and I mean the royal we, that if we keep lowering the bar when it comes to the type of image files that get used in future SF marathon board threads then it will be images that are hardly strawmen. Or the images will be lopsided from images from one particular kind of straw. See your image, it is clearly wicker and not straw. What's next an image of the scarecrow from Batman Begins just because in the comic Jonatahn Crane's costume has some straw sticking out of it? I like The Scarecrow in Batman Begins but its not a strawman.

I expected to see true strawmen, real strawman images. Not strawman images lite.

I hold the SF Marathon board to a very high standard. I don't lower my standards when it comes to strawmen images.

The wikipedia entry of Wickerman doesn't classified it as being made of straw. So no Wickerman isn't a Strawman.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:06 pm 

Does this "supervisor/MGT" have an explanation for why the schedule says only 2K projection? (not to mention the Drexel Website, itself)

willcail wrote:
Corrections from an earlier post.

When I was taking to the supervisior/MGT (He looks like a shorter version of Joe Neff with an old timey stach) according to him that houe one does have an 4k digital projector. House 2 and 3 are 2k with the upgrade option to 4K.

According to the same person that 2001, Safety, and Inception all are 4k DCP's. The Monolith Monsters and The Mole People are optical discs. The Fiy is unknown.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:11 pm 

I don't know what willcail looks like IRL, but I have a feeling he'll be pretty easy to spot. I'll just look for the person complaining about something with every step he takes: "This carpet sucks." "I don't like the pattern on the concession stand counters." "My seat is too hard." "Those cars driving by outside are terrible."

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:15 pm 

The bees!

Not the beeeeeeees!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:17 pm 

Mr. Neff,

Was that a not-so-subtle hint for the Horror Marathon?

And yes, that's wishful thinking.... :)

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:58 pm 

agentstinky wrote:
I don't know what willcail looks like IRL, but I have a feeling he'll be pretty easy to spot.

He actually will be fairly easy to find. He will be up at the front of the line. He may not be first, but he won't be far from it. Lately he has beaten me. I've spoken with him at length during the wait. I know I have poked a little fun with Little Miss Unshine and the faux strawman rant, but he is a really passionate fan and offers intersting insight on films both at the marathon and movies in general. He does tend to have a glass half empty mentality, but he is not all doom and gloom, though his reaction to this years marathon does not suggest that.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:56 pm 

Dennis wrote:
...he is a really passionate fan and offers intersting insight on films both at the marathon and movies in general.

That makes me happy to hear. I know that often the people that scrutinize the most are the most passionate, I was just poking some fun. And despite the up-and-down nature of the discussion, weeks of forum reading really has only served to make me more excited for the Marathon...can't believe that at this time tomorrow I'll be in that theater!

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:22 am 

Wouldn't it have more sense to bookend the Marathon with 2001 & 2010? Dr. Strangelove is a great film and is a borderline sci-fi film, but there are a lot of films I'd rather have the Marathon 'revisit' before it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next