The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:14 am 

Hooray!!! Marathon!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:18 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
As I've said several times in the past, well-made DCPs (like the 4K LAWRENCE OF ARABIA that Jim refers to) can be great. But as of right now, their numbers are limited. And they're almost non-existent for many of the off-beat and obscure titles that we've screened over the years (try finding even a good 2K DCP of THE APPLE...or GALAXY OF TERROR...or EARTH VS. THE SPIDER...). In five years, these problems might be solved. But there's no guarantee.

Well I know there are 2k (or 4k ???) versions of Friday the 13th and Jaws 3-D (in 3-D) so thats 2 titles you can use at this years Horror Marathon!! Neither have shown at an Ohio Marathon (accept "Friday the 13th" which I showed in Pickerington so it doesn't really count but it was fun)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:33 pm 

I would LOVE to see the original Friday the 13th on the big screen. No matter if it's digital or celluloid, I'm going to have a blast. That's something that won't change. Seeing movies/films with a bunch of like minded (or not so like minded) is part of the experience. During the breaks we all get a chance to champion or tear down said motion picture.

@Willcail - the HDMI 2.0 spec isn't out or official, but I suspect total bandwidth will be much greater.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:32 pm 

willcail wrote:
I keep looking at the main website and the word film isn't in the tile. The tile is Ohio 24hr Science Fiction Marathon. The word film doesn't appear.

I look at the official website. There is the page label films. But the in the header the word film is absent.

Well, in the Drexel's first announcement of this year's event, the word "film" is used 3 times alone, so I guess they think it's a "film" event.... :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil:

"May 4-5
12 noon to 12 noon
Set your ray-guns on stun and get ready for the 30th Annual Ohio 24-Hour Science Fiction Marathon!
Starting May 4 at 12 noon to May 5 at 12 noon
The Sci-Fi Marathon is an entire spin of our planet watching science fiction films including area premieres, over-looked gems, vintage classics, cartoons, shorts and previews of coming attractions from years gone by. Hundreds of prizes are given away during the Marathon, thrill to the annual Sci-Fi Costume Contest, and enjoy the pleasures of sleep deprivation. Those who survive the entire 24 hours will also receive the much coveted chrome Certificate of Marathoid Behavior to impress their friends. The communal comaraderie of the audience often makes the unbearable hilarious and the great even more glorious. Surviving the sleep-deprived ordeal with this crazed crowd brings us together in delightful, bizarre, and unexpected ways.
Some of the films screening at this year's Marathon include: INCEPTION (2010), THE MONOLITH MONSTERS (1957), 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (1968), THE MOLE PEOPLE (1956), THE FLY (1986), SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED (2012).....and more titles and premieres coming soon! Stay tuned for more amazing film announcements, complete ticket information and much more!"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:18 pm 

I did see Google's YouTube does have the full movie The Monolth Monsters. Now according to Google no copyrighted material is posted on the website. So they say. :wink:

One of my cousins says that if its posted on YouTube its legal.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:39 pm 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
as long as you are forced to show DVDs, why not take this opportunity to make a few of the films in the lineup "secret?" That way, you can literally show anything you want, including the first of the most famous and popular science fiction film franchise in history, which just happens to have an unofficial day of celebration associated with it...

Friday the 13th part 10 JASON X

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:02 pm 

IamJackuserID

There are other digital formats besides DVD's Odds are if the leak movies can be confim by Bruce that it is likely that 2001 will be DCP. DCP is in no way DVD.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:32 pm 

It seems that the SF Marathon website have finally been updated. The ticket info seems to be correct. The movies that were posted on the message board are now confirmed.

Wish Bruce have make these announcements. It would have been better if the info came from him.

What's next the film schedule be posted by Drexel and not Bruce?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:02 pm 

My only wish is that there actually WAS a sequel to Automatons to show at this marathon.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:16 pm 

hutch wrote:
My only wish is that there actually WAS a sequel to Automatons to show at this marathon.

Automatons was so bad, all I remember from it was robots out walking around. Didn't we watch the sequel to that last year? It was a lot better than the first one!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:53 pm 

Hey don't dis Manborg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:07 am 

I would certainly attend the marathon this year - digital or film, regardless - but, alas, it doesn't look like the scheduling worked out for me this year. That Saturday is Free Comic Book Day, which will be crazy busy at my store, and then Sunday we just scheduled a Star City Invitational Elite Qualifier - we'll probably get over 150 players for that event, and so will have to rent an off-site location (our in-store cap is about 100), meaning we'll need double the usual staff coverage that day, so I'll have to work.

It kinda sucks, because I just managed to change around my work schedule so that, in general, I'll have weekends off. But, every once in awhile, there'll be big events like this that I have to be at the store for - and the Marathon just happened to have been scheduled on one of those weekends. :(

I'll miss you all!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:42 am 

scottcoz wrote:
I would certainly attend the marathon this year - digital or film, regardless - but, alas, it doesn't look like the scheduling worked out for me this year. That Saturday is Free Comic Book Day, which will be crazy busy at my store, and then Sunday we just scheduled a Star City Invitational Elite Qualifier - we'll probably get over 150 players for that event, and so will have to rent an off-site location (our in-store cap is about 100), meaning we'll need double the usual staff coverage that day, so I'll have to work.

It kinda sucks, because I just managed to change around my work schedule so that, in general, I'll have weekends off. But, every once in awhile, there'll be big events like this that I have to be at the store for - and the Marathon just happened to have been scheduled on one of those weekends. :(

I'll miss you all!

Dude this sucks :(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:44 pm 

I've finally gotten the Marathonoid Mania email blast. It looks great.

Too bad I won't get to see 2001 in ture 4k digital projection. Have to settle for upscale Blu Ray quality digital projection.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:17 am 

Corrections from an earlier post.

When I was taking to the supervisior/MGT (He looks like a shorter version of Joe Neff with an old timey stach) according to him that houe one does have an 4k digital projector. House 2 and 3 are 2k with the upgrade option to 4K.

According to the same person that 2001, Safety, and Inception all are 4k DCP's. The Monolith Monsters and The Mole People are optical discs. The Fiy is unknown.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next