The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:51 am 
Site Admin

THE 30th ANNUAL OHIO 24 HOUR SCIENCE FICTION MARATHON
will abduct the DREXEL THEATRE, 2254 East Main Street in Bexley, Ohio
at NOON SATURDAY, MAY 4th. If the Marathoids can conserve gravity,
keep their monkey brains somewhat in check, heed all warnings from the Drexel Flight Crew, observe the official
Marathoid Code of Conduct, and manage to stay awake most of the time, they'll in all likelihood be released
relatively unscathed, though significantly more exhausted and, one can only hope, a bit wiser,
at noon on Sunday, May 5th with their ever-cherished Certificates of Marathoid Activity.

Tickets will be available in a few days at:

The Drexel -2254 East Main St - (cash or charge)
The Laughing Ogre - 4258 North High Street - (cash only)
PayPal (to scifimarathon@hotmail.com with a $2.00 per ticket service charge- there will be a link at the top of the home page)
We'll post the prices and exactly when they'll be available as soon as we know.

THE (SEMI)FINAL AUTHORITY ON THE (MOSTLY)OFFICIALLY SCHEDULARIZED MARATHON

12:00 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
3:15 DANGER 5 - episode 1 (others throughout the Marathon),
TIME OF THE ROBOTS - Midwest Premiere
5:15 the 30th Annual Costume Contest
5:30 SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED
7:45 INCEPTION
10:40 SURPRISE SCI-FI FEATURE
12:30 VANISHING WAVES - Ohio Premiere
3:00 DR CYCLOPS
4:45 UPSIDE DOWN - Ohio Premiere
6:40 SPACE MILKSHAKE - Midwest Premiere
8:15 THE MONOLITH MONSTERS
10:10 DR STRANGELOVE, OR HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LOVE THE BOMB

And more trailers, shorts, prizes, caffeine-induced dementia, etc.

And yes, it's all true. The archeologists have finally, if slightly too late, accurately translated the Mayan predictions.
Turns out that it wasn't the end of the world that they were predicting, it was the end of film as we know it. Not sure
how they knew, but damn if they weren't right on the money. This year's Ohio Sci-Fi Marathon will be entirely without film.
Expect a mix of formats from 2K DCPs to blu-rays, DVDs and whatever else rears its ugly head (VHS - I'm talkin' to you!).
For me personally, the timing of this cataclysmic shift couldn't come at a worse time, but there are possibilities to be
explored and we'll do our best to squeeze some fun out of these latest limitations. So put on your space helmets,
activate your anti-gravity belts, charge up the interociter and join us as we boldly move forward into a strange
new era, hoping to prove yet again that the 'Thons are as much about the Marathoids in the seats as they are
about the cinematic mayhem up there on the screen. Klaatu Barada Ohio!!!

Join us for a transformational journey through the cinematic stargate, as we leave behind the analog world for the wonders of the Drexel's new digital projection system.

TICKET PRICES ARE AS FOLLOWS:

Advance Admission (Purchase 4/10 - 5/3)
--General Admission - $35
--13 & Under - $28

At the Door - 5/4
--General Admission - $40
--13 & Under - $33

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:56 am 

Good news. Will the tickets be cheaper since you don't have to book film prints?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:26 am 

Getting plans in place. I imagine the format may hurt trailers and shorts, but I've always been impressed with the presentation which is why I keep coming back. Looking forward to seeing when tickets go on sale.

-Dennis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:42 am 

Gravity supposed to be in the public domain. The full short is posted on Youtube. Using my off brand Android ICS netbook and an app that can extract youtube videos into a MP4 file. Duck Dodgers short is on one of those Looney Tunes Golden Collection DVDs or Blu Ray. For Spaceboy track down that guy who did the shot for shot remake. I think it was shot digitally.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:07 am 

Ugh. This is unfortunate timing for me. May 4th is Free Comic Book Day, and I'm committed to spending the day at the Laughing Ogre to promote that. Earliest I could be at the marathon would be like 6.

Ah well. Soldier on.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:12 am 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:15 am 

Great News Bruce. Even with the limitations I am sure you will put together a great event.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:11 am 

AEinhorn wrote:
Ugh. This is unfortunate timing for me. May 4th is Free Comic Book Day, and I'm committed to spending the day at the Laughing Ogre to promote that. Earliest I could be at the marathon would be like 6.

Ah well. Soldier on.

Oh, Aaron, that sucks. I'll miss talking to you in line.

I usually somewhow find my way to the Ogre on Free Comic Book Day. They do a bice job there of making it a pretty nice event. Sergei got a cool dragon design on his arm a few years back.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:54 am 

Oh, I may still be there in the early morning. Quite possibly, what I'll do is get there at my typical stupid o'clock time, then wait for my brother and SiL to arrive around 8:30 or 9:00. Hang with them for a bit, then run to the Ogre for when they open at 10, stay at the Ogre until 2 or 3, and then make my way back.

We'll see. I hated missing early morning line time last year. I don't really want to do it again if I can help it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:34 am 
Site Admin

Probably not the worst date in May. Weather will likely hurt attendance. It hits free comic book day, gallery hop, the half-marathon, maybe a gazillion weddings. Still, it could have been worse. Doesn't conflict with too many conventions that I can see.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:12 pm 

I don't think there will be that much limitations at least when it comes to films. For example Jason X and Zardoz are on DVD. Past marathons there was the no print available issue. Now that shouldn't be a problem now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:12 pm 

Thanks for announcing the date, Bruce.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:45 pm 

Did the Drexel get rid of all film equipment? No 35mm or 16mm? Really sad if they did.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:12 pm 

Film is dying. The blog post on the Drexel Theater website states that they are all digital now. No 35mm no 16mm. Time to move on.

Digital Projection looks great. All of the 3D films I went to see are digital projections. Digital Projection looks fine on a forty foot screen. No more worries about poor film prints or projection issues.

It will be fine. Trailers can be burn onto DVDs or Blu Rays or according to some websites compile them into DCPs.

I've fath in Bruce to package everything to run near effortlessly. This could be the year that we can get out on time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:31 am 

The Drexel still has film projectors for when, usually older, movies are only available in that format. It would be swell to have a few selections on 35 mm. Digital still looks like washed-out video projection to me, no matter how may "K's" are on the side of those projectors. The image at Studio 35 always looks so dim anymore, and the same problems have occurred with the side theatres at The Drexel since their change-over. The movie industry is just being cheap, lazy, and counting on the audience not to care. Still, glad to know the marathon is happening.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next