The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Films so far
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:02 am 

Here is my guesses witch formats each of these films going to be on.

DCP
Safety Not Guaranteed
Inception

Optical Disc DVD or BLU Ray
The Monolth Monsters
The Mole People
The Fly

I would put 2001 as the first movie to showcase the Digital Projector system.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:40 am 

I assume the Drexel email list is seperate from the on Bruce keeps? I never got anything this week.

No biggie, but I agree with the general opinion that the messaging leaves a bit to be desired.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:27 am 

Dennis wrote:
I assume the Drexel email list is seperate from the on Bruce keeps? I never got anything this week.

No biggie, but I agree with the general opinion that the messaging leaves a bit to be desired.

+1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:31 am 
Site Admin

By the way, this is what the Drexel sent out at the bottom of their email list. This list comes from them and not the marathon, and we're still waiting to hear better verification before we say more.

May 4-5
12 noon to 12 noon

Set your ray-guns on stun and get ready for the 30th Annual Ohio 24-Hour Science Fiction Marathon!

Starting May 4 at 12 noon to May 5 at 12 noon

The Sci-Fi Marathon is an entire spin of our planet watching science fiction films including area premieres, over-looked gems, vintage classics, cartoons, shorts and previews of coming attractions from years gone by. Hundreds of prizes are given away during the Marathon, thrill to the annual Sci-Fi Costume Contest, and enjoy the pleasures of sleep deprivation. Those who survive the entire 24 hours will also receive the much coveted chrome Certificate of Marathoid Behavior to impress their friends. The communal comaraderie of the audience often makes the unbearable hilarious and the great even more glorious. Surviving the sleep-deprived ordeal with this crazed crowd brings us together in delightful, bizarre, and unexpected ways.

Some of the films screening at this year's Marathon include: INCEPTION (2010), THE MONOLITH MONSTERS (1957), 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (1968), THE MOLE PEOPLE (1956), THE FLY (1986), SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED (2012).....and more titles and premieres coming soon! Stay tuned for more amazing film announcements, complete ticket information and much more!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:22 pm 

Thank you David.
It finally penetrated my obsidian skull that the Drexel announcement was premature to the extent that their version of a film list does not necessarily reflect any final decisions by the people, Bruce et al, who are doing the actual work.
I respect that premature delivery does not improve the chances for a healthy infant. (How's THAT for a stretched metaphor?) :roll:
So apologies for my blustery outrage. Good luck with the final list. I will be there.
Still hope for more films of undeniable quality such as Navigator - & more humor.
Will do my part, dragging any friends, possibly kicking & screaming, to Columbus on the 4th.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:25 pm 

Do you mean Flight of the Navigator, Pogo?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:43 pm 

pogo wrote:
Thank you David.
It finally penetrated my obsidian skull that the Drexel announcement was premature to the extent that their version of a film list does not necessarily reflect any final decisions by the people, Bruce et al, who are doing the actual work.
I respect that premature delivery does not improve the chances for a healthy infant. (How's THAT for a stretched metaphor?) :roll:
So apologies for my blustery outrage. Good luck with the final list. I will be there.
Still hope for more films of undeniable quality such as Navigator - & more humor.
Will do my part, dragging any friends, possibly kicking & screaming, to Columbus on the 4th.

Navigator? Dont you mean Jason X?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

Jaws3dfan wrote:
Navigator? Dont you mean Jason X?

Well he did say "& more humor."

(BTW, I would assume he means THE NAVIGATOR: AN ODYSSEY ACROSS TIME, which is available on DVD but it's a terrible transfer. I've always wished they would do a better release of that film.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:08 pm 

willcail wrote:
Do you mean Flight of the Navigator, Pogo?

VZeke is correct in his assumption. It is his "---Across Time - -"
It's come out under slightly differing titles.
The Amazon site has it being re-released on April 30 under the title,
The Navigator: A Medieval Odyssey (1988)
I am going to buy it to share with friends, including my kid who in addition to inheriting the SF gene from me, also has a degree in Medieval Studies.
Hopefully it will be a new & better transfer.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:41 am 

Just wanted to point out that Safety Not Guaranteed is 84 minutes long with credits. Not exactly Solaris. It's only "slow-moving" if you have ADD. It's slightly longer than your average one-hour TV drama. I will admit that I thought the subplot about her boss and his ex-girlfriend didn't really go anywhere. Otherwise, it's very enjoyable. It's a COMEDY. If you're not laughing, you're not getting it and it's probably not for you. There's no gun to anyone's head. No one's being forced to watch every film in the lineup, as always.

If you like Aubrey Plaza, you're really missing out if you don't watch Parks and Recreation. I know some people think it's not hip to watch sitcoms or whatever, but that show kicks ass and she's fantastic on it.

One should never blame Bruce or Joe for anything the Drexel people say or do.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:17 am 

I like Parks and Rec. I like Audrey Plaza and she is a good actress. For some reason I can make it through a Jean Rollin's horror flicks. Now his movies are very slow moving.

SPOiLER ALERT: Now I finished watching The Monolith Monsters on DVD for the first time and I'm not impress with it. Some out of space sillica/silicone reacts with water to grow into giant pillars and then fall over. Really Universal at the time the execs think that was a good mvoie to greenlight? I can see why it is only 77mins long.

I do hope The Fly (1986) will be a DCP instead of an optical disc.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:08 pm 

Does the Drexel have 4K digital? 2001 played to pretty good reviews here last year in 4K DCP: http://americancinematheque.blogspot.co ... -aero.html

I refused to go since the theater also has 70mm capability and they recently had shown 2001 in 70mm.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:19 pm 

It is a 2K Christie Digital Projector System. More info;

http://www.drexel.net/index.php?/site/full_blog/296

Aacording to the Christie website the 2k systems doesn't support/or have SDI HD. IMO the 2k digital projectors are like the DVD players with HDMI support. 2K just upscales Blu Ray resolution to make is watchable on theater screens. Why they didn't purchase one 4k system for the main house. I'm a fan of 4k digital not so much of 2K. Might as well stick to 35mm.

I'm sill going. I'm dissapointed that it is not in 4k.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:43 pm 

I do enjoy the tagline for The Monolith Monsters. Best... acting... EVER.

How about paring 2001 with The Monolith Monsters?