The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Films so far
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:37 pm 

I pulled this from the Drexel email that went out today.

Some of the films screening at this year's Marathon include: INCEPTION (2010), THE MONOLITH MONSTERS (1957), 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (1968), THE MOLE PEOPLE (1956), THE FLY (1986), SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED (2012).....and more titles and premieres coming soon! Stay tuned for more amazing film announcements, complete ticket information and much more!

Post subject: Re: Films so far
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:33 pm 

According to the Drexel email that they are going to screen a non science fiction movie Saftey Not Guaranteed at the SF Marathon. Great. This will be my dinner break. Its like Happy Accidents all over again. A dull movie that moves slow. Like the William Shatner debacle The Captains.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:37 pm 

With all due respect to the folks who do the work that the rest of us depend on - - -
Why the friggin hell do we have to rely on a stray post from Lord Stinky Feet to get the first version of the film list?
I find it difficult to recruit people to come to Columbus due to the late date announcing the Marathon, but I realize that that is not within the control of the organizers. One person who accompanied me last year had already signed up to work that weekend at the Indians' game.
Not having any sort of list of films is another impediment. Two hours drive each way plus the commitment to the weekend requires as much info as you can give potential newbies.
And my basic pool of possibles are people who do attend the CWRU Marathon.
So please give us as much timely information as possible.
Thank you.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:55 pm 

Haven't gotten any email from the Drex today. I know spam doesn't catch it as I just saw one recently in my inbox. This is pretty redonk.

The announcements are pretty bad around here - (see my post about social media) not to mention the general state of the main page and info (see my post about radio cafe)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:01 pm 

willcail wrote:
According to the Drexel email that they are going to screen a non science fiction movie Saftey Not Guaranteed at the SF Marathon. Great. This will be my dinner break. Its like Happy Accidents all over again. A dull movie that moves slow. Like the William Shatner debacle The Captains.

Happy Accidents was pretty cool - I'd say one of my fav that year. Safety Not Guaranteed - been meaning to check that out looks great. if nothing else I get to look at Aubrey Plaza for 90 minutes...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:07 pm 
Site Admin

To clarify a few things:

1. As I've stated in the past, much of the information that does or doesn't get distributed for the Sci-Fi Marathon is dictated by Jeff Frank and the Drexel. On the other hand, we (Bruce, Dave Z., Jen C., me) have controlled almost all aspects of information retrieval, dispensation, etc. for the Horror Marathon.

2. The Drexel sent out that e-mail this afternoon. I can confirm that this was the first hard info pertaining to the SF Marathon that many of us behind the scenes had heard. And yes, that's not a good chain of communication for anyone. As of earlier today, the only official info was the date, hence no major updates on this page, the Facebook/Twitter feed etc.

3. Jeff and the Drexel don't read this board. In fact, they almost never have. Thus, please direct complaints of this sort to the Drexel's Facebook page, or e-mail them through the website. It's the only way that they'll get the message about much of the justified disgruntlement on display here.

4. No, I'm still not really officially involved with the Sci-Fi Marathon planning. But I'm not going to stand by and see too many complaints thrown Bruce's way before stepping in to set things straight. In so many ways, the Sci-Fi Marathon IS Bruce, but Jeff and the Drexel control more of the event than you might think.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:00 pm 

My guess is that the email will turn out to be a hoax. Notice how it says these are the "films" that will be screening at the marathon?

Well, as we all now know, there will be no FILMS shown at the Drexel marathon this year.

Therefore, it's all bunk... right?????

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:28 pm 

I've seen Safety Not Guaranteed. While I wouldn't call it a "hard sci-fi movie" by any means, it does contain elements of time travel that do pay off in the end. I would call it a sci-fi comedy by a loose definition of the term. I mean, technically Back to the Future really isn't "hard sci-fi" if you want to go THERE. But no one would object to Back to the Future playing. If you need a film to be purely, strictly sci-fi by a very strict definition of the term for it to play at the marathon... then you should skip it and eat dinner during that film. But for the rest of us, it is a funny and entertaining movie.

And yes, Aubrey Plaza is the bomb. Do kids still say that? I don't care.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:13 pm 

I make five attempts in watching Safety Not Guaranteed via Netflix Streaming. Keep falling asleep.

Now while I do appreciate that the Drexel and Bruce keep the SF marathon going for all these years. I do feel that the SF Marathon is an afterthought by Drexel and CAPA. With the exception of Jeff.

Since Easter dates are already set for the forseeable future why not hold it in April every year. It would be a good six months before the Horror Marathon.

Have Bruce and Drexel/CAPA work more closely together. Not two seperate entities working on the same project. Bruce is the one hosting the Marathon out of his devotion of the SF Marathon.

It does tick me off that Drexel/CAPA doesn't include the official website nor the persons who run the website. Don't they realise that people go to the SF Marathon website not the Drexel website to get thier SF Marathon info?

It's maddening that every year we go through this. Not knowing the date or any of the films in months of advance. Please get this fixed. Last year the Horror Marathon was announce at the SF Marathon for October with the first four films. Why can't the Drexel do that?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:15 pm 
Site Admin

*ahem*

I'll just leave these here ...

http://www.scifimarathon.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1310
http://www.scifimarathon.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1071

Seriously, this is as frustrating for us as it is for you guys. As of right now, the people on the Drexel email list have received more direct communication concerning final decisions on the marathon THAN THE CO-ORGANIZER.

If he doesn't get informed first, you can imagine how far schmoes like Joe and I are down on that list.

As I say every year (and yes, the Drexel does this EVERY YEAR), we are not withholding information from you, we're just the last ones to hear anything important.

The people who own and run the website, forum, facebook page, and twitter feed are trying to get more info and will update you when we have it. That would be me, Bruce, Joe, and Jen (who is decidedly NOT a schmoe.)

As Joe points out, if you have issues with what the VENUE has announced (or how little), please take it up with them. They will not hear your complaints on this forum.

P.S: For what it's worth, I enjoyed SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED. It is, admittedly, BARELY science fiction, even less so than LATE FOR DINNER, but it's very well done. It was also received very well in Boston. And yes, Aubrey Plaza is F*@%!#& adorable. I feel the need to watch SCOTT PILGRIM again now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:28 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:

4. No, I'm still not really officially involved with the Sci-Fi Marathon planning. But I'm not going to stand by and see too many complaints thrown Bruce's way before stepping in to set things straight. In so many ways, the Sci-Fi Marathon IS Bruce, but Jeff and the Drexel control more of the event than you might think.

Just to be clear -- My comments were not directed at Bruce (or anyone in particular) I just thought it odd that the twitter account for example has been silent since Dec 21st. Its very active both before and after the Horror Marathon (as you pointed out you have more direct involvement). But I know I start looking more at this board come January and pretty much every day starting in feb. Even if there not much info..revving up the engines wouldn't be a bad idea. I know several people will not check the board but will follow twitter.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:22 pm 
Site Admin

That's a great point, re: the Facebook and Twitter feeds. I'll wholeheartedly admit to being the main offender in that realm, for better and for worse. Last year was the first time in which I basically took the lead in writing the copy that ended up there, a task which began in the lead up to SF29. It was fun, but I also had the added advantage of lots of Horror Marathon news to milk if the SF Marathon news ran a bit dry.

So when late December hit, I suddenly realized that I had very little info to post (you'll notice that I started posting genre-related video links, but I didn't want to clog things up too much.) The SF date has been delayed more and more with each passing year, and as of now, I have no information about the Horror Marathon. It's a scenario I didn't quite envision, and my previous enthusiasm for spreading the word to the social media outlets probably makes the long silence seem glaring.

So yeah, I/we fell behind a bit, but it's an area that we'll be rectifying soon. Sorry for any confusion that this has created.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:25 pm 

INCEPTION (2010) - Great Movie, a real crowd pleaser
THE MONOLITH MONSTERS (1957) - Fun Cheese
2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (1968) - If this plays early it's a good movie if it plays after midnight you will hear snores
THE MOLE PEOPLE (1956) - More Fun Cheese
THE FLY (1986) - Awesome!!
SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED (2012) - Never seen it but I want to

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:14 pm 

I was inclined to watch SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED on NETFLIX streaming. But I restrained myself. Because I know that it will be at Columbus this year.
Could someone who has received the full Drexel feed please post it?
Thank you..

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:33 pm 

Jaws3dfan wrote:
INCEPTION (2010) - Great Movie, a real crowd pleaser
THE MONOLITH MONSTERS (1957) - Fun Cheese
2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (1968) - If this plays early it's a good movie if it plays after midnight you will hear snores
THE MOLE PEOPLE (1956) - More Fun Cheese
THE FLY (1986) - Awesome!!
SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED (2012) - Never seen it but I want to

INCEPTION (2010) - Yep, great movie, and I'm not sure how anyone could complain about it. Perhaps the only complaint would be that everyone has seen it, and quite a few have likely seen it multiple times, but that won't prevent anyone from wanting to watch it again. It'll be nice to see on a big screen one more time. Honestly, I think this is the type of big name movie that can draw a few new audience members into the marathon. And thats a good thing. One other big sci-fi movie that I wouldn't mind seeing on the big screen one more time would be Tron Legacy. Just for the size and spectacle of it all.
THE MONOLITH MONSTERS (1957) - This looks like a slightly different premise than the old guy-in-a-rubber-suit schtick, so I'm looking forward to it. Sounds like a good choice for a marathon, so thumbs up to whoever picked it out.
2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (1968) - All-time great movie, and a lot of you folks here would be shocked at the percentage of modern moviegoers who have never seen it. Seriously. I'll predict that it gets spot #1 or spot #2 on the lineup.
THE MOLE PEOPLE (1956) - This doesn't sound quite as interesting as Monolith Monsters. It's new to me so I can't complain of course.
THE FLY (1986) - And yet another well-known movie. Thanks to Inception, 2001, and The Fly, this feels like a much more mainstream than usual marathon. Hopefully the recognizable names will sell a few extra tickets.
SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED (2012) - I've been voting to watch this with friends for the past 6 months, but I've never pushed super hard, because I knew in the back of my head that there was a fair chance it would play at the marathon this year. Hooray! My procrastination pays off!