The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:59 pm 

If its Jason X as the surprise film how can Jeff feels gulity booking Jason X? I mean The Monolith Monsters was booked and that film is a joke.

Hell just look at the Zardoz one sheet. Sean Connery wearing a pinkish bananna hammock with thigh high boots.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:01 pm 

dsm913 wrote:
What are they thinking...tampering with the lineup so much? Why would you take out a great remake like the Fly (86) and an MST3K type classic like the Mole Men to make a slot for Zardoz? The Wild Wild Planet looks good, but what is Vanishing Waves? The list was so cool last week, but now it's been gutted for more "premieres" nobody wants to see....

I only hope they show all the crap togther so I can slip out for a nice meal and maybe even a nap.

Wholeheartedly agree. I was hesitant to voice my disappointment on the public forum, but I've know plenty of other friends who wouldn't stop at just grumbling on a message board after spending so much on tickets, so - I don't feel so bad. But two of the titles that motivated me to buy tickets have been dropped for a bunch of titles I really couldn't care less about, and only two weeks from the marathon. This will likely be my last visit to the Drexel. 32 bucks plus the service charge plus the gas $$ to drive from my home in WV to Columbus is too much cash (and hassle - the drive isn't exactly short) for me to have this happen again.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:09 pm 

willcail wrote:
If its Jason X as the surprise film how can Jeff feels gulity booking Jason X? I mean The Monolith Monsters was booked and that film is a joke.

Hell just look at the Zardoz one sheet. Sean Connery wearing a pinkish bananna hammock with thigh high boots.

I think "Booked" is the key word in that sentence. If they don't advertise the "Surprise Feature" they don't have to pay for it. YES they should pay for it but thats another story.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:31 pm 

My guess is that the "surprise" feature is already known and merely something they don't want to pay for. Since there are no more instances of film print bookings "falling through," and given that The Fly is available on BluRay, there is no reason to cancel the screening of it in the lineup unless they don't want to pay for it. By that rationale, it is still possible that The Fly is a part of the lineup.

My guess is that The Mole People was dropped based on the subsequent bookings of Zardoz, The Wild, Wild Planet, Mega Monster Battle and Danger 5, which may have led to the cheese factor getting way out of hand (which it maybe still is).

My based on nothing guess for the surprise feature if it is not The Fly is something currently in theaters like Upstream Color, or maybe even dare to dream Iron Man Three(yeah, right! :roll: ). Like I posted before, the one advantage to the inferior digital format is the possibilities you could open up simply by not advertising.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:55 pm 

I already gotten my ticket for Iron Man 3 in Real 3D for the thursday night showing.

They have to pay for the rights for the surprise movie. They can't show a movie at the Drexel.

I'm glad that Mega Monster Battle was booked. It will be nice departure from the Gorjia and Gamera movies. I'm glad that there will be a Ultraman movie. The movie is being distributed by Warner Bros. I wouldn't call Mega Monster Battle crap.

I like the changes in the lineup. It is better to have a more diverse lineup than having a lineup thats 90% of my optical disc collection. If the line up was movies that I've seen many times over I would hesitate buying a ticket.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:29 am 

For some reason I'm not seeing the announcement at the top of the page. Is it just me?

Vanishing Waves definitely looks interesting. One IMDb reviewer describes it as "Stanley Kubrick meets Gaspar Noe". Whether that's a good or bad thing is up to the individual I suppose. If anything, all the nudity should keep people awake.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:40 am 

If people were staying awake for A Serbian Filth er I mean A Serbian Film. Then they will stay awke for Vanishing Waves.

The whole point of the SF Marathon is to see movies that doesn't have a home video release yet.

A Side note I did track down the Gamera Trilogy at wally world of all places. 7.88 for the Blu Ray plus VUDU copies of each film.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:11 am 

willcail wrote:
They have to pay for the rights for the surprise movie. They can't show a movie at the Drexel.

LOL have you ever meet Jeff Frank?

willcail wrote:
A Side note I did track down the Gamera Trilogy at wally world of all places. 7.88 for the Blu Ray plus VUDU copies of each film.

I picked this up at Walmart also, I love the $7.88 Blu-Ray Bin!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:03 am 

Let me be more clearer that Jeff have to get the rights to a film before he can screen it at the Drexel. There is no way he can get away with at. Why take that risk to screen a movie that he or the current owners CAPA doesn't obtain the rights?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:57 am 

You're right, it's absolutely impossible to screen a movie at the Drexel without paying for it. I mean, why would they screen something secretly, like for example BLADE RUNNER which would be very expensive, and run the risk of getting caught? That's why they showed MOON instead three years ago.

My bad...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:30 am 

The Drexel wasn't owned by CAPA at that time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:25 pm 

Hey if they did that screen a film that they didn't sercure the rights to then they are taking a risk. There is a chance that if they get caught screeing a film without paying for the rights then I do hope they have the cash reserves to pay off the fines. I don't think that they have that much cash to pay of the fines.

Last edited by willcail on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:38 am 

Let me be VERY clear, I know absolutely nothing about Vanishing Waves other than what's on its IMDb page. I am not vouching for it, I am merely saying that it looks interesting to me. It may be terrible for all I know. But of all the announced premieres, it is the only one I am even slightly interested in seeing.

I was looking forward to The Fly and Zardoz (for one whole day!) myself. I am disappointed too and I understand the frustration with the Drexel. (Funny, I remember complaining once about the Drexel not sharing info with us... but let's not go there.) But films fall through for all kinds of reasons, and often have in the past. Obviously they must have wanted to show those films or they wouldn't have been on the schedule in the first place. I do agree that an explanation would be appropriate. But let's not act like this is the first time scheduled films have been dropped from the lineup.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:56 am 

I was considering coming back to marathon this year but the original lineup was pretty lame and has only gotten worse. It's sad to see a marathon like this die but I think it's time to become realistic and say that this marathon's best years are behind it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:59 pm 

The lineup looks pretty decent at first blush. Of course, much will depend on the two additional unannounced films (the 'surprise' plus Zardoz' replacement). INCEPTION and 2001 are beyond dispute. SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED is SF lite, but will play better than it reads on the schedule. WILD WILD PLANET is good 60s euro schlock. MONOLITH MONSTERS is the requisite 50s B movie (showing MOLE PEOPLE would have been redundant). ZARDOZ would have been a good choice, but who knows about the replacement.

As to the "premieres": VANISHING WAVES looks interesting even if it's abstractions will probably drive away 1/2 of the audience. It points up an advantage in Ohio of not being attached to an actual festival. In Boston, we get "premieres" of films that usually aren't good enough to play larger fests like Sundance, Toronto etc. VANISHING seems legit. MEGA MONSTER BATTLE will please Japanese Sci-fi fans. DANGER 5? Yuck, looks like a Blamire live action take on THUNDERBIRDS. A bunch of amateurs "having fun" with 60s spy conventions. Hopefully, they will break them up throughout the schedule.

If a good number of these titles were on 35mm film, it would be enticing............