The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: And ZARDOZ is gone...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:58 am 
Site Admin

...according the the Drexel. No official word from them on how this process played out. They might be able to explain it better than us.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:06 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
...according the the Drexel. No official word from them on how this process played out. They might be able to explain it better than us.

thats ok, I am sure there is some obscure film that no one has ever heard of that they can book in it's place :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:24 pm 

You are absolutely correct, the Drexel could explain these things better. They could explain a lot of things. But they never have and they won't. Still baffles me to this day after all these years that we never hear anything directly from the source, even on their own website.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:34 pm 

So that's 3 cancelled films so far this year. Why hasn't Slither been cancelled yet?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:53 pm 

cleazer wrote:
So that's 3 cancelled films so far this year. Why hasn't Slither been cancelled yet?

Rimshot!! :D

http://virtualrimshot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:15 pm 

So Zardoz was dropped. Great. What's next another experemental sci fi film. :roll:

Doesn't they get it that those type of movies doesn't go over well. See Automatons and Electroma. This pisses me off.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:26 am 

I'm coming this year, but I've only been twice before (in 2008 and 2009) and I haven't followed much of the inner machinations of planning and executing the marathon. But it seems like there are a lot of complaints piling up about the Drexel, and I know that the Marathon has been in other locations in the past...has there been any consideration given to having it at another theater in the future? Again, I don't know all the history and everything that goes into pulling it off, so it may not be possible.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:05 am 

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but with the exception of the Continent and Riffe Center, the SciFi marathon has always been at theaters the Drexel group either owned (The Drexel) or managed (The North, The Grandview, The Gateway and The Arena Grande.) The horror has fewer ties and less consistency and was never as desired by Jeff Frank as the SciFi.

I nominated Them! as the movie to add. For old times sake.

Last edited by Dennis on Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:10 am 

My understanding lines up with Dennis's.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:47 am 

Dennis wrote:
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but with the exception of the Contient and Riffe Center, the SciFi marathon has always been at theaters the Drexel group either owned (The Drexel) or managed (The North, The Grandview, The Gateway and The Arena Grande.) The horror has fewer ties and less consistency and was never as desired by Jeff Frank as the SciFi.

I nominated Them! as the movie to add. For old times sake.

Thats right - and at the time they were Drexel branded even.

Ugh - If I never see Them! again it will be too soon. 100% done with that film

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:58 pm 

Appreciate the notice from Joe that Zardoz is gone because:
1. This info exists nowhere else, either on this website, on the Drexel page, their feed or anywhere else that I can discover, &
2. Having seen Zardoz a few years ago at the Cleveland marathon, I was reminded how much I disliked it.. Combining the elements of being both oh so arty,cool & trippy & taking itself too seriously, it exhibits some of the poorer characteristics of films made for my generation.

I would like to echo the earlier comments about how little I enjoy the disarray, lack of notice of date and features, and seeming lack of concern for the feelings of the fans who consider that the event belongs to them. Both Boston and Cleveland have problems scheduling the specific films and achieving the mix that they desire. They both announced their lists late this year, but at least the people who are in charge understand the frustrations of their respective families as they are members themselves.
If at all possible, the separation suggested by agentstinky & others should happen.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:42 pm 

Good grief, what is with all the complaining?

I couldn't care less about the exact films being shown. (Okay, maybe exaggerating a little.)

If it was advertised as "12 surprise sci-fi films" I'd still buy a ticket.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:26 pm 

For some people do care about the film lineup. For those people it is a weekend trip. They do care about the lineup. If they are comming from outside the city or state or states. If a film or films spark their interest then they will buy a ticket or tickets and make the trip.

Now with the complete lack of disarry when it comes to this year's lineup it will upset some people who are traviling to the SF Marathon and one of their film or films get dropped without warning. They announce films then they drop the films few days later. It cost money to get to Drexel for the out of towners.

For me I just live a mile from the theater. I'm living downtown Columbus on the outskirts of German Village. It takes me about twenty minutes to get to the Bexely. For other people they have to pay for gas and travel miles to get to the Drexel.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:33 pm 

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:51 pm 

Like your spirit cleazer.
If it were all monster pics, OR crash bang shoot dem aliens epics. OR the latest 2012 big budget releases, I would probably worry more about the lineup. However that's not the case.
My son and a couple of long term Cleveland attendee friends did however pass due to the weird fluctuations of the lineup & the late date announcement.
I decided & committed to go to Columbus, Cleveland & Boston this coming year irrespective of the choices. I've been surprised & enjoyed seemingly odd lineups as often as not.
What I don't like is that Bruce, VZeke & anyone else who it seems should be in control aren't.
Now where do they hold the Horror Marathon?

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly