The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:12 pm 
Site Admin

Check out the announcement at the top of this page for the most current list of films.

Unfortunately, THE FLY and MOLE PEOPLE have bit the dust.

But now you'll be reminded how the gun is good, and the penis is evil with ZARDOZ!

And there are some premieres of several stripes and (in the case of VANISHING WAVES) levels of clothing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:56 pm 

I'M SO GLAD THAT MEGA MONSTER BATTLE AND ZARDOZ HAVE BEEN BOOKED!!! SQUEEEEEEEEE

To whomever book those two movies thank you. I'm sadden to see The Fly fall through. Not the dreck known as the Mole People. Good riddance Mole People you MST3K fodder.

Now since the lineup is complete.

Now the whole The Gun is good and the penis is evil quote does fit in with the GOP platfrom.

Thank you for Zardoz. See they do pay attention to the wishlist.

Here are the trailers for the newly added movies.

Vanishing Waves NSFW Adult Content http://www.youtube.com/#/watch?layout=m ... verified=1

Mega Monster Battle non english sub trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-GZybVZIE8

The Wild Wild Planet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB3SszYjEmA

Zardoz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbGVIdA3dx0

Here is an 8bit Zardoz intro http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=plpp&v=WnP0aPwccGU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:38 pm 

Sad to see The Fly go, but Zardoz is becoming more and more of a classic each time I see it.

I haven't seen the other 3 so that's a big plus in my book.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:29 pm 

What are they thinking...tampering with the lineup so much? Why would you take out a great remake like the Fly (86) and an MST3K type classic like the Mole Men to make a slot for Zardoz? The Wild Wild Planet looks good, but what is Vanishing Waves? The list was so cool last week, but now it's been gutted for more "premieres" nobody wants to see....

I only hope they show all the crap togther so I can slip out for a nice meal and maybe even a nap.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:37 pm 

I did see The Wild Wild Planet on Turner Classic Movies a while ago. It was part of thier Underground series.

It is a trip of a movie.

They didn't just drop those movies for no reason. I'm guessing the rights to screen those movies became unavailable. The Drexel must honor the copyright holders or face a lawsuit.

Now Ultraman isn't just crap. It is a respected long running franchise that spans accross decades. It's like calling Gorjia crap.

Zardoz consider to be a cult classic.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:50 am 

willcail wrote:
I'M SO GLAD THAT MEGA MONSTER BATTLE AND ZARDOZ HAVE BEEN BOOKED!!! SQUEEEEEEEEE

Here are the trailers for the newly added movies.

Had trouble with the Vanishing Waves links you provided. Here are two, also NSFW Red Band Trailers. Really not much difference between the two excpet the music.

Trailer One

Trailer Two

At first blush based solely and to complete try to box it in, it looks like some kind of cross between THX1138, Altered States and Eyes Wide Shut. And for some reason I keep thinking of Ray Steven's song The Streak. I'm guessing this plays in the 3 am slot.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:16 am 

dsm913 wrote:
What are they thinking...tampering with the lineup so much? Why would you take out a great remake like the Fly (86) and an MST3K type classic like the Mole Men to make a slot for Zardoz? The Wild Wild Planet looks good, but what is Vanishing Waves? The list was so cool last week, but now it's been gutted for more "premieres" nobody wants to see....

I only hope they show all the crap together so I can slip out for a nice meal and maybe even a nap.

I feel much the same way although I will reserve judgment on the films that were added. Seems like this year is split between Classic Sci-Fi and New movies that most people will have never seen before:

Classic Films
Inception (Recent Classic)
Zardoz
The Monolith Monsters
Surprise Film (Hoping for Jason X)

Unknown Films
Safety not guranteed
Danger 5
Mega Monster Battle
Wild Wild Planet
Vanishing Waves

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:01 am 
Site Admin

dsm913 wrote:
Why would you take out a great remake like the Fly (86) and an MST3K type classic like the Mole Men to make a slot for Zardoz? The Wild Wild Planet looks good, but what is Vanishing Waves? The list was so cool last week, but now it's been gutted for more "premieres" nobody wants to see....

Bear in mind that THE FLY has played at a marathon before (SF11), whereas few among us ever believed we would get the chance to see ZARDOZ on the big screen. Some of us are actually looking forward to the change. I love THE FLY, but I've seen it enough times to almost be sick of it.

Unfortunately, I fear most of these will be BluRay/DVD. Depending on the washout that could seriously sap my enthusiasm. WILD WILD PLANET should look at a least as good as GREEN SLIME did last year, though, they came from the same source and similar masters.

INCEPTION, ZARDOZ, VANISHING WAVES, and SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED actually all share common themes. Even if by accident, there's a lot of similarity in what they're exploring. UPSTREAM COLOR would have fit the bunch nicely.

Of course, then everyone's head would probably have exploded.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:03 am 

I was up against a google age verification. I'm guessing that Cafe Flesh was unavailable so they got Vaninshing Waves.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:15 am 

I'm very excited I think this is going to be a nice mix. Sure there are one or two I would not have picked but that's a lot of what I love. I can't list how many times I've been pleasantly surprised by a film I would not have seen with out the marathon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:52 am 

Wow, with Safety Not Guaranteed, Vanishing Waves and...Zardoz, it looks to be a pretty romance-charged lineup. Now I wish I could have convinced my girlfriend to come instead of just my dad.

Also, does "Surprise" feature mean they know what it's gonna be but they're saving it as an actual surprise, or they know they aren't going to get the final slot nailed down until the last minute? :?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:33 pm 

The surprise could be both versions of Spaceboy on a 90 minute loop. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:38 pm 

agentstinky wrote:
Wow, with Safety Not Guaranteed, Vanishing Waves and...Zardoz, it looks to be a pretty romance-charged lineup. Now I wish I could have convinced my girlfriend to come instead of just my dad.

Maybe the surprise will be The Time Travellers Wife.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:08 pm 

"Surprise Feature" probably means that Jeff Frank is to embarrassed to list a movie like JASON X in the line up so he said "just call it a surprise feature"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:33 pm 

The Time Travelers Wife meets Jason?