The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

So some questions have once again been brought up concerning the purpose of this forum, the proper etiquette for it, etc. So, to be absolutely clear about things, here (to the best of my knowledge) is a summary of the intent behind this here online marketplace of ideas...or at least the intent that Bruce, Dave, Jen and I have had since we restarted it in this venue...although Bruce might disagree with me a bit...and who knows, maybe Dave and Jen also have some qualms............but hey, run with it, okay?

1. Obviously, this forum is designed for discussion of all aspects of the Marathons. From veteran Marathoids to the new blood, everyone should be welcome to share their ideas, opinions, memories, bad video links, etc.

2. As part of this great exchange of ideas, gregarious (some may say cantankerous) debate should be expected to surface sometimes. Most of us who end up posting here have strong feelings about the legacy and future prospects of the Marathons, so as a result, we tend to be very passionate in expressing those feelings. And ya know what? There's nothing wrong with that. I feel like sometimes we get a bit too touchy about any kind of real debate, but in my book, there's nothing wrong with the occasional semi-heated arguments. Mutual respect doesn't necessarily have to equal zero conflict. And if you don't enjoy reading some of these debates...don't. That's why there are many threads in which you can engage.

3. On the other hand, there are times when some posters can't let subjects drop...or who react to a strong opinion with a brusk brush off or rebuke. Folks, our hope is that this forum can be better than much of the internet when it comes to debate and discussion. Prove us right. I know too many former posters who no longer participate here because the level of discourse often sunk much lower than it should be.

4. That being said, I feel that it's especially important to state the following: this forum is not a giant PR campaign for the Marathon. Each of you is more than welcome, nay, encouraged to disagree with the film choices, the direction of the event, etc. Doing so doesn't mean that you're hurting the image of the event. Trust me, if we wanted this forum to just be an artificially enhanced environment in which we only present the rosiest aspect of the Marathons, we'd have done it long ago. We often stress how the Marathons are like an extended family; well, families often fight or disagree. And, more often than not, they remain families.

I would never want to be part of a forum in which I couldn't disagree with the organizers of a Marathon. I say that as an audience member of 20 years and as an organizer of 14 years. I feel like there are too many instances where posters view even the mildest criticism of the event as pedantic and treasonous. Hey, I get it: if you want to just focus on the positive aspects of the Marathons, that's cool by me. But please don't shut people down just because they're concerned about the direction of the events. I've been harshly critical of some of the Drexel's decisions over the years. I've also continued to attend the SF Marathons. We're all able to hold these two separate ideas in our heads. And I'd like to think that we can all house these separate ideas in this forum.

5. Okay, Tim, this one's for you. Yeah, we've never made any pretense of this forum being a venue to vote for what plays at the Marathons. But I can assure you (and everyone) that Bruce and I don't just ignore the brainstorming that goes on here. It might not always be obvious, but that's often because of complicating factors (in the past, factors like print availability, etc.) Like it or not, we're trying to serve several different audiences: the veterans, the newbies, the prospective newbies that are still out there. Offering a wide variety of film, genres, etc. has always been the philosophy we aim for. Sometimes, there are films that are suggested here that we want to play, but that we want to hold back on for a year or two (see last year's Horror Marathon, where we had the chance to screen some very rare 35mm films, prints that we might not have had access to after last October.)

Now, I can't speak for the Drexel, as ultimately they make the final decisions on the Sci-Fi lineup. But I guarantee you this: Bruce and I both watch this forum and don't engage in a blanket discounting of the views expressed here.

So does that help any? Okay Mr. Bernstein, redo the front page one last time. And yes Mr. Leland, you can save this for posterity.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:25 pm 

I agree with Joe Neff 100%. If he can be a harsh critic towards the Drexel so can I.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:11 pm 

willcail wrote:
I agree with Joe Neff 100%. If he can be a harsh critic towards the Drexel so can I.

Yeah, but what does Jeff Neff have to say about all this?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:10 am 

Joe Neff wrote:
Okay, Tim, this one's for you. I love you and want to have your children

Thanks Joe but I am already engaged :)

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:49 am 

I've always expected #5 to be true. But it sometimes takes a few years to see the fruits of suggestions because of booking issues, etc.

I like puppies, apple pie, #1 and #2 (the philosophies laid out, not the bodily functions. Though sometimes a good #2... I digress.)

As for #3, I think we are starting to get to the heart of why this is posted, along with #4 and I guess to an extent #2. I have no problem with someone stating they are unhappy with a film choice, the scheduling of the date (God knows I've raised this every year) which is why I lumped #2 in with puppies and apple pie (damn, I'm making myself hungry.) And I know in the past I used to be more passionate about the lineup and would express a desire for fewer newer films. But I found that while I would complain about them before the marathon, more often than not I found I enjoyed them or they gave me something more to talk about than an older film I have seen multiple times. If you look at a lot of the post marathon write ups films like Star Trek:TMP or 2001 will get a line or two about how gorgeous the print was or wasn't and how it might have been slow in spots but generally has held up pretty well, but it won't get the kind of interesting and even passionate debate something like Automatons or Big Man Japan or The Last Push. Perhaps I have gotten complacent, though I have sent emails over the years to the Drexel about fixing a date. I've never really sent anything about the lineups, as I said, I have found even if I hated a film, I still found the experience interesting.

Which gets me to #4. When addressing Will the other day I made the point I don't want sunshine and roses. I don't want him not to post. I have no problem with someone harshly criticizing the Drexel or even Bruce (which he has indirectly and not necessarily harshly) or Joe (which he has not and though the thought of Joe’s big puppy dog eyes with tears makes me mourn for humanity.) However, and this is where I may disagree with Joe to a degree, I think that at some point a nonstop litany of complaints may not be helpful. Somewhere, there has to be a happy balance. And I also pointed out, I might try to avoid reading his posts because I can guess where they are going and they really have been dampening my enthusiasm for the marathon this year. But the problem with that is he is a prolific poster and tends to comment on every thread, which is his right. And his points aren't bad ones, but at this point when I see his name next to a post this image springs to mind.

I don’t want a cult of Bruce and Drexel worshipers. I want to keep reading and commenting myself. I guess I just have to man up and not let it bother me. And, by no means do I think Will is doing this to intentionally drive me or anyone else away and I think he has the best interests in the marathon at heart. And to his credit, he did say he got it in one of the other threads, so perhaps I too, should just let it go.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:03 am 

What do you mean by that juanty animated GIF? :wink:

Yes I do lay it on thick from time to time. I want nice rounded lineup. True I do heavly post on this message board. I can say for some other posters as well.

I did notice that the Drexel is calling SF 30 as Sci Fi Fest on their marquee. Is this the shape of things to come?

I'm guessing Jeff Neff would say LEAVE THE MARATHON ALONE.

As Joe say I can voice my displeasure and I did. I still have my ticket and planning to go. Witch is worse someone voicing their dislike and not buying a ticket?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:59 am 

Sci Fi Fest - sounds lame

that is one of the GREATEST .gifs of all time.

Jeff Neff should always be in red :)

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:03 pm 

I suspect they're calling a "Sci-fi fest" because it takes less letters than "24 hour science fiction marathon". I am worried that things might be getting out of hand with the way the Marathon is being run now. "Too many cooks spoiled the broth"...as they say

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:05 pm 
Site Admin

Jaws3dfan wrote:
Joe Neff wrote:
Okay, Tim, this one's for you. I love you and want to have your children

Thanks Joe but I am already engaged :)

DAMN!

Topps wrote:
Jeff Neff should always be in red :)

Oh trust me: he already is.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:59 am 

I am all for discussion and debate. I have no problem with that. If people have legitimate problems with the lineups or the premieres, they should express those views. The problem is that once you've said it, you've SAID IT. Repeating it 17 times doesn't make you any more right. It just means you refuse to stop saying it.

Another problem is that certain people (not naming names, and I don't mean everyone here) refuse to engage in genuine debate, instead simply repeating the same simple arguments over and over again as if they are saying something new. So whenever you try to respond to their points with logic and reason, they simply repeat themselves like Rain Man. This is not what I consider debate and discussion. They want to be able to say whatever they want without having to deal with other people saying, "well, what you're saying makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, and here's why." So it is impossible to engage in any kind of debate with them without wanting to shove a large object through your computer screen.

And of course, the elephant in the room is that every individual has a different idea of what the marathon should be, and no marathon can possibly live up to every single person's idea of that. So some people are naturally going to be disappointed no matter what films are shown, and some people are going to enjoy themselves no matter what films are shown.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:43 pm 

What Joe says hits home out here as well.

The Marathon experience as filtered through opinions on this and the Boston board are helpful. Joe and Bruce have cross-ties with the Boston event, and I patrol this board to soak up the wisdom of the Ohio crowd as well.

And, it's not just exact suggestions or comments that matter. I doubt that Bruce looks at a 2009 posting on this board about such and such a film suggestion and says, "Eureka! That's THE film I was looking for to fill out the slate!".

But, general opinions and feedback do matter. I look at both boards as a type of "lab" where ideas are hatched, discussed and filtered. If a film plays well in Ohio, it definitely perks up interest to show it in Boston (not to mention the not so unimportant fact that it shows availablity on the part of the Distributor/print holder). You can certainly thank Boston that you will likely be forever spared the sight of FOLKLORE or MOTIVATIONAL GROWTH on the Columbus screen!

Now, while Jeff may not join in here on the board, certainly, the opinions are conveyed via Joe and Bruce (and conversely, myself, in Boston).

What Jeff Neff thinks? Who knows..........