The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Drexel Explanation
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:19 am 

I sent an email (as Joe suggested) to the Drexel and Jeff Frank himself replied (See below)

"We've had some films we've had to cancel this year due to issues that came up after they were booked and confirmed. These issues included copyright issues and a miss-understanding between our booker and one of the studio's about the format we wanted to play in."

I also wanted to add that the line-up is starting to feel less lopsided and is starting to round out more, Jeff also said another classic of two may be added. I suggested that when films are pulled from the line up an explaination on the board like the one above would probably cut down on the negativity and that silence in these situations is not golden.

We all want what is best for the Marathon and we don't always know whats happening behind the scenes and in this "I want it now" world that we live in it is very easy to get frustrated when we do not get answers quickly. I plan to try and refrain from that in the future.

Post subject: Re: A Drexel Explanation
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:33 am 

Hear, hear. I've been following the grumbling, confusion and complaining (some of it understandable) on the forum for the past few weeks, and I was starting to get caught up in it. But I just took some time to think back to my (regrettably few) past experiences at the Marathon, and how unique and fun they were. I thought about how on Saturday and into Sunday, I'll be in a theater with friends, family, and some really fun strangers, watching a bunch of movies in a row, doing a thing that normal people couldn't stomach. And suddenly I'm not so worried about all the minutiae anymore.

Bruce, Joe, whoever's going to be saying anything in front of the crowd during the marathon, please don't let the occasionally vitriolic discussion you've seen here make you self-conscious and start acknowledging that people might think the lineup is subpar or the Marathon is not as good as it used to be or whatever you've seen. Once people get their butts in the seats and start enjoying the experience, a lot of them will forget all the worries and arguments they had. And if they don't, well, I guess complaining about things you like is in the nerd's blood (see: Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons) :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:45 am 

The lineup is still lopsided with films from the 21st century. I still feel that they did a horrible job in booking films this year. I have lost faith whomever does the bookings.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:21 am 

Ok. Calming down and editing what I wrote.

Will, I get that you don't like this year's line-up. I do. I really, really do.

So does everyone else on this board.

But complaining here doesn't do anything other than dampen enthusiasm among people who either are planning to come, or who are thinking "Gee, maybe that would be fun."

And let's consider, someone might look at this line-up and be really excited, but thinking to themselves "Gee, I've never gone to an event like this. What's the forum saying?" To see a "hardcore marathon regular" trashing the line-up in every post on every thread? That might really turn them off.

Do we want to kill the marathon? Because if we do, let's really trash it and make sure no one ever comes to it. Then it'll shut down. And won't that be better for everyone? </sarcasm>

How about this - let's go to the event (or not - you can vote with your dollars, and even if you've already bought a ticket, I'm sure you could get a refund). While there, let's try to have fun. And then we can leave comments. We can try to grab Jeff Frank or Bruce and say "Hey, we really didn't dig this line-up. What happened?" And maybe the answer will involve something that we could help with.

I'm really tired of seeing the constant trashing of the line-up, especially since you clearly know that your comments aren't being seen by Jeff Frank or anyone at CAPA.

Last edited by AEinhorn on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:23 am 

Will, please stop bombarding EVERY topic on the forum with your negativity! We get it, you hate the lineup, you hate how things are being handled behind the scenes, and you are certainly entitled to have those opinions. HOWEVER, there are those of us who frequent these topics and this forum because we love EVERYTHING about the 'Thon, films, waiting in line, hanging out with everyone inside experiencing this filmic thing of ours, just to name a few. Again, I am not saying you aren't allowed to have a negative opinion of the state of the Marathon, but it is unnecessary and quite frankly rude to continually drag down the mood in every topic that pops up on the forum. You've stated your displeasure, now please let everyone else just enjoy this forum. Can't wait til Saturday!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:36 pm 

I'm beginning to suspect that one of our members is unhappy...

Seriously though, I am very saddened that I do not have the opportunity logistically and financially to attend a Marathon this year.
However, I am equally saddened that I am not given the opportunity to even enjoy reading about it without sifting through all this unnecessary aggression...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:52 pm 

Ok I get the message. Last night I sent an email expressing the disappointment in this years lineup. Now I think the lineup itself will drive people away. Not the naysaying on some message board that currrently hold little or no sway with the decision makers.

The past 11 consectuive years the SF marathon lineups were great. I hold the SF Marathons to a very high standard as a paying customer who spend money on the tickets and concessions want to see a great lineup. If Bruce Bartoo have more creative control then I wouldn't complan. As I stated many times that as long as Danger 5 and Mega Monster Battle is still booked I'm going. After I watched episodes one through three of Danger 5 via Hulu Plus.

I can understand that Digital Projection films will be limited. It doesn't gvie a pass to the decision makers for the sub par effort.

I don't hide behind some username. My username is my first and last name. If you want to chew me out when I get there around 630am fine I can take it. I still have my ticket. I'm still going. Now I can understand the feelings of the marathonoids of the Drexel North days.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:06 pm 

I don't think people would be half as bothered by things if the Drexel people would just talk to us. When films are forced to be dropped from the lineup, just announce it and tell us why. It's not hard to say, "the print fell through". Instead people are receiving secondhand information most of the time. Suddenly a film is no longer on the schedule and no one knows why. "Whoops, The Fly isn't there any more!" No explanation, nothing. No wonder people are pissed off and wonder what's going on. It's because there is no communication. I seem to remember that when a film was forced to be dropped in the past, someone from the outfit would announce it and give a reasonable explanation. Now we get nothing.

Having said that, I am all for being positive about the event and the experience, and I'm glad there are still people who support it. I don't believe the marathon is coming to an end any time soon. I certainly hope not. That's the last thing I would want. I wish I could come this year, and I would if not for my current health problems, which I hope will be straightened out by the Horror Marathon. But I also believe there's room for improvement in the way things are being run. If you have something to say, you know who to say it to. Be polite about it, but if you have grievances, address them. But keep in mind that no marathon can be all things to all people either.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:20 pm 

I agree with Wolf NC17 that if the powers who are planning SF 30 just give us some answers on why so many films get dropped so soon after they are announced. I'll be less pissed.

They must understand that the die hard marathonoids who go year after year in part keep this thing going since 1987. We pay money to them to keep this thing going. As a paying customer I just want some answers.

It doesn't make them look good for dropping films so quickly. My btiching and moaning have little to do.