The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2014 Marathon Date
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:30 am 

For those of you who may have missed it someone asked Jeff if there would be a marathon next year and when he said yes, someone, perhaps the same person asked when. Jeff's response was they were hoping for April.

Easter 2014 in is April 20th. So that leaves us the 5th, 12th and 26th. We have had Marathon's on Palm Sunday in the past. I'd have to do more research than I feel like doing today, but I'm not sure if we have had any the week after Easter. If we have had them, there have been few of them. Or maybe I remember the Palm Sunday ones because of spousal commentary. :lol: Anyhow, to me, the 5th looks like the best option before any movie release dates are taken into consideration.

Post subject: Re: 2014 Marathon Date
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:04 am 

As far as I know, I'd be fine with any of those non-Easter weekends in April. Although the only things on my Google Calendar that far ahead right now are bills! :? So I guess we'll have to see as it gets closer.

I gotta say, I'm kind of surprised the "date for 2014" thread popped up before the "movie wish list for 2014"! And the first week after the marathon too! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:39 am 

agentstinky wrote:
I gotta say, I'm kind of surprised the "date for 2014" thread popped up before the "movie wish list for 2014"

I am not surprised. After years of seeing "Wish Lists" ignored I think people of given up on the idea. Personally I still think it's fun to talk about what you would like to see at the next 'thon but in the end thats all it is, talk.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:34 pm 

It was worse when I was in DC, but with work and kids the When is a bigger deal to me than the What. I've also never been passionate about what I want to see, I've thrown out suggestions, but I am usually pretty happy with what we get.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:09 pm 

From my post in the "The Marathon Will Never Die!!!" thread in the Kaboom section:

We (Boston) have a set date. I know this is one of the big issues in Ohio. This is 2013. We live in a fast-moving, short-attention span era. You can't expect folks to plan their whole lives around keeping EVERY WEEKEND open between the end of March and Mid-May open just in case that is the particular weekend that ends up holding the Marathon. Pick a #$#$ing Date and stick with it! ("Easter" isn't an excuse. You can set up a 5 or 10 year advance date calendar around Easter)

Original post: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1602&p=13825#p13825

Judging from some of the early recaps after this year's Marathon, it does seem like THIS particular incarnation of the "Marathon" is on its last gasp. I emphasize THIS version.

In Boston, we went through a fairly long and deep valley. We jumped theaters 4 times in 4 consecutive years. Attendence dipped. Fewer and fewer younger folks seemed to be attending their first Marathon. Etc. Etc.

But, this year, 2013, saw the best attendence in 15 or more years. More younger folks. More women. What happened?

1. We stabilized into one theater, The Somerville. Further, that theater has 35MM, DCP and DVD capability.

2. We began a Festival attached to the week prior to the Marathon. This has caused some issues, but, overall, it has increased Media, Internet and word-of-mouth attention to the big enchilada that concludes the week - The Marathon.

3. We have a set date. I know this is one of the big issues in Ohio. This is 2013. We live in a fast-moving, short-attention span era. You can't expect folks to plan their whole lives around keeping EVERY WEEKEND open between the end of March and Mid-May open just in case that is the particular weekend that ends up holding the Marathon. Pick a #$#$ing Date and stick with it! ("Easter" isn't an excuse. You can set up a 5 or 10 year advance date calendar around Easter)

4. Food. In Boston, there have NEVER been any restrictions on bringing in food (save for alcohol, bottles etc). It makes a difference. You're stuck in a theater for 24 hours, you need light healthy snacks to go along with a couple of heartier meals. Pizza, burritos are brought in and sold, and, sometimes, sandwiches and the like have been sold from the concession stand along with the traditional Popcorn etc.. Since just about everybody has a decent home theater nowadays, if you are going to convince folks to get off the couch and watch stuff at a theater for 24 straight hours, you better allow them their creature comforts!

From the sounds of it, 3 if not all of the 4 above things that have 'saved' the Boston Marathon seem difficult to achieve under the current Drexel structure. It's not the Marathon that is beyond saving, but the management behind it.

Last edited by L.A. Connection on Tue May 07, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:33 pm 

L.A. Connection wrote:
Spoiler: show
From my post in the "The Marathon Will Never Die!!!" thread in the Kaboom section:

We (Boston) have a set date. I know this is one of the big issues in Ohio. This is 2013. We live in a fast-moving, short-attention span era. You can't expect folks to plan their whole lives around keeping EVERY WEEKEND open between the end of March and Mid-May open just in case that is the particular weekend that ends up holding the Marathon. Pick a #$#$ing Date and stick with it! ("Easter" isn't an excuse. You can set up a 5 or 10 year advance date calendar around Easter)

Original post: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1602&p=13825#p13825

Judging from some of the early recaps after this year's Marathon, it does seem like THIS particular incarnation of the "Marathon" is on its last gasp. I emphasize THIS version.

In Boston, we went through a fairly long and deep valley. We jumped theaters 4 times in 4 consecutive years. Attendence dipped. Fewer and fewer younger folks seemed to be attending their first Marathon. Etc. Etc.

But, this year, 2013, saw the best attendence in 15 or more years. More younger folks. More women. What happened?

1. We stabilized into one theater, The Somerville. Further, that theater has 35MM, DCP and DVD capability.

2. We began a Festival attached to the week prior to the Marathon. This has caused some issues, but, overall, it has increased Media, Internet and word-of-mouth attention to the big enchilada that concludes the week - The Marathon.

3. We have a set date. I know this is one of the big issues in Ohio. This is 2013. We live in a fast-moving, short-attention span era. You can't expect folks to plan their whole lives around keeping EVERY WEEKEND open between the end of March and Mid-May open just in case that is the particular weekend that ends up holding the Marathon. Pick a #$#$ing Date and stick with it! ("Easter" isn't an excuse. You can set up a 5 or 10 year advance date calendar around Easter)

4. Food. In Boston, there have NEVER been any restrictions on bringing in food (save for alcohol, bottles etc). It makes a difference. You're stuck in a theater for 24 hours, you need light healthy snacks to go along with a couple of heartier meals. Pizza, burritos are brought in and sold, and, sometimes, sandwiches and the like have been sold from the concession stand along with the traditional Popcorn etc..

From the sounds of it, 3 if not all of the 4 above things that have 'saved' the Boston Marathon seem difficult to achieve under the current Drexel structure. It's not the Marathon that is beyond saving, but the management behind it.

BINGO my Friend!!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:43 am 

Dennis wrote:
For those of you who may have missed it someone asked Jeff if there would be a marathon next year and when he said yes, someone, perhaps the same person asked when. Jeff's response was they were hoping for April.

Easter 2014 in is April 20th. So that leaves us the 5th, 12th and 26th. We have had Marathon's on Palm Sunday in the past. I'd have to do more research than I feel like doing today, but I'm not sure if we have had any the week after Easter. If we have had them, there have been few of them. Or maybe I remember the Palm Sunday ones because of spousal commentary. :lol: Anyhow, to me, the 5th looks like the best option before any movie release dates are taken into consideration.

Yeah I shouted "What's the date for next year's marathon?" which got some solid LOLs cause we all know they weren't gonna say anything.

"2014" was the reply but then Jeff' did add "hoping for April." I believe it when I see it (in March of 2014)

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:10 am 

Thanks for correcting. I had forgotten you asked for a date and not for a marathon in general. For some reason, I thought there was a question and a follow up, but I plead I was in the back and tired. :oops: But I am glad you asked.