The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:42 am 

First I am not Defending the decision to promote "Ship of Monsters" as a Surprise Feature without subtitles.

However I have watched a few scenes with subtitles and it's pretty darn funny with lines like "On this Planet men are in charge" I think the marathon should revisit this movie someday but as a normal movie in the line up and with subtitles.

I just ordered the officiall DVD from Amazon (without subtitles) for $8.93 and I was able to obtain the (.srt) subtitle file so once I get the DVD in the mail I will be able to make a near perfect copy with subtitles in like an hour.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:56 pm 

Everybody needs a friend.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:01 pm 

I agree, had the movie been just plugged into a time slot, probably somewhere Sunday morning and had subtitiles it would have been funnier. It is sometimes easier to snark when you have some dialog to go with the film.

But as the suprise, it was a dud. Actually worse than a dud. I think a lot of people were really upset with this film because we had let our hopes build up too much. I mean it wasn't quite getting a bucket of pig blood dumped on you at prom bad, but it came across in the same vein, no pun intended. I really think he wanted us to be lauging with him, but it came across as him laughing at us. As one who has made a lot of jokes over the years, sometimes, what you think will crack folks up, just doesn't make 'em laugh.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:23 pm 

Dennis wrote:
I agree, had the movie been just plugged into a time slot, probably somewhere Sunday morning and had subtitiles it would have been funnier. It is sometimes easier to snark when you have some dialog to go with the film.

But as the suprise, it was a dud. Actually worse than a dud. I think a lot of people were really upset with this film because we had let our hopes build up too much. I mean it wasn't quite getting a bucket of pig blood dumped on you at prom bad, but it came across in the same vein, no pun intended. I really think he wanted us to be lauging with him, but it came across as him laughing at us. As one who has made a lot of jokes over the years, sometimes, what you think will crack folks up, just doesn't make 'em laugh.

Reminds me of the time South Park pulled the famous "April Fools" joke and pi$$ed everyone off. I guess you can underestimate your audience.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:11 pm 

...not to mention, that with a wee bit of searching a Subtitled DVD could have been gotten on the 'grey' market (I found a couple pretty easily).

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:18 pm 

Sorry. Without subtitles it was just absolutely unbearable. There was no humor without having some idea of what they were saying. The only redeeming part was the monsters and their voices. The brain monster ruled.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:23 am 

Since I wasn't there, I can only gauge the crowd reaction from what I have read. But I think when you promise a "surprise film", people are going to expect something special. Not something crappy to laugh at.

I once attended a screening of an unannounced "surprise film" at the Wexner Center when I was visiting Columbus several years ago. The audience was expecting something really great, possibly a local premiere of some kind. Instead we got Samuel Fuller's hilariously homoerotic 1950's Western Forty Guns. It was funny (and I got to see a Fuller film I hadn't seen before), but everyone seemed to be let down. We were all expecting something more. I'm not against showing Forty Guns, but they should have just advertised it as a regular film on the schedule. Unless it's something that will really knock us out, just tell us what we're going to see.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:15 pm 

I was getting a buzz on during that " in the middle of the night movie" I refuse to type or speak that movie title. That "movie" did what no other movies in the 12 years of going to the SF Marathon I consumed 48 ounces of PBR. The the women next to me consumed three or four cans of PBR. No subtitles what the hell were they thinking. Jason X is a fun bad movie. Hence the word fun. That "movie" was just bad.