The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pacific Rim
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:17 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
IamJacksUserID wrote:
The zero charisma from all the performers actually hindered what was a decently written story, which is weird because it's usually the other way around.

Uhh....Stringer Bell would like a word with you.

He may be fine in that other role, but, in PACIFIC RIM he's dull as dishwater. It's mostly the fault of the script which is full of cliches and mundane character "development"....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:44 pm 

I liked and enjoyed PacRim, but it is just too heavily flawed to be considered very good.

Besides stuff other people have mentioned, one of my biggest disaapointments was with the kaiju. They're completely formless and forgettable. I can picture King Ghidorah in my head right now, I know exactly what he looks like, but the 15 or so kaiju in this movie might as well be shapeless blobs. There was nothing to distinguish them and none of them stood out as remotely memorable. That's just disappointing.

And after trying to establish the giant scale of these battles (despite the scale seemingly changing depending on what various background Hong Kong locations they wanted to use), they ruin the final battle by having it take place underwater, thus completely removing any sense of scale whatsoever. The combatants in that final battle could have been 6 feet tall or 6 miles tall, you wouldn't be able to tell. Fail.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:28 pm 
Site Admin

Pffft. Whatever. Movie's 12 kinds of awesome with a scoop of awesome on top.

The point being, if you're a marathon-goer who's on the fence about whether or not to see this film, go see it. A whole lot of people have enjoyed it for a whole lot of really good reasons.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:36 pm 

cleazer wrote:
...Besides stuff other people have mentioned, one of my biggest disaapointments was with the kaiju. They're completely formless and forgettable. I can picture King Ghidorah in my head right now, I know exactly what he looks like, but the 15 or so kaiju in this movie might as well be shapeless blobs. There was nothing to distinguish them and none of them stood out as remotely memorable. That's just disappointing.

And after trying to establish the giant scale of these battles (despite the scale seemingly changing depending on what various background Hong Kong locations they wanted to use), they ruin the final battle by having it take place underwater, thus completely removing any sense of scale whatsoever. The combatants in that final battle could have been 6 feet tall or 6 miles tall, you wouldn't be able to tell. Fail.

Exactly. Just take a look at this minute clip from the original, and still best, Kaiju film ever - GOJIRA (1954). You CLEARLY see what Godzilla looks like. You CLEARLY see what he's doing to the city. You CLEARLY see the scale of his size and the city. And, you can CLEARLY hear the music (and it's actual music, not just clanking noise). You don't get any of that in the 2 1/2 HOURS of PACIFIC RIM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5BdVuBoUGc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:46 pm 

Watched this in Chicago with an auditorium full of screaming g-fans at a theater not even a mile away from the hotel where G-Fest was being held. Damn I loved this movie! Hands down my favorite film of 2013 by far and more than likely will remain that way regardless of the films yet to be released this year. 8)