The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:19 pm 

During last years Horror marathon I was talking to Joe after watching "Something Wicked this way comes" and he commented on how when he was a kid watching "Something Wicked this way comes" he saw it from the point of view of the children, and now seeing it as an adult it was like watching it for the first time because he identified more with Jason Robards Character from the adult point of view.

The same thing happened to me recently and I wanted to share this with you all to see if this type of thing has happened to others:

I was watching the very cool 1978 version of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" on Blu-Ray a couple weeks ago and for the first time EVER I was rooting for the pod people, I have seen this movie probably 50 times and I have always wanted to see humans defeat the pod people and come out on top BUT this time as I was watching it I was like "they are making some good points, no war, no diseases, no crime, no fear, no hate" suddenly it sounded pretty darn good, where do I sign up??

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:59 am 

Sure, all you have to do is surrender your individuality, personality, rational thought... no big deal, right?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:25 pm 

WolfNC17 wrote:
Sure, all you have to do is surrender your individuality, personality, rational thought... no big deal, right?

Thats the beauty of it, all you have to do is fall asleep and it's done.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:16 am 
Site Admin

As memory serves, in the original novel the pod people only had a lifespan along the order of five years.

So yes, you might get a "utopia" but you wouldn't have it for long before the aliens leave behind a depopulated husk of a world.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:50 pm 

Jaws3dfan wrote:
WolfNC17 wrote:

Thats the beauty of it, all you have to do is fall asleep and it's done.

That's also the terrifying bit.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:29 am 

Heh - all your points are moot.

The pod people are clones/doppelgangers/imitations of you and me and everybody else.

YOU are simply dead after they create your doppelganger. So, regardless of what you think of it, you don't get to experience the "utopia," anyway. Some organic robot that just happens to look like you, and has your memories, does.

Oh yea - PS. thread necro! Sorry, I was just getting caught up and didn't realize until now that this thread was a couple months old :)