The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gravity
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:07 pm 

Although I am pretty sure LAConnection will disagree, believe the hype: GRAVITY is unbelievably good...

(...and that new Sandra Bullock/George Clooney movie is pretty good too... Bah DUM bum!)

Post subject: Re: Gravity
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:51 pm 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
Although I am pretty sure LAConnection will disagree, believe the hype: GRAVITY is unbelievably good...

(...and that new Sandra Bullock/George Clooney movie is pretty good too... Bah DUM bum!)

It is believably good. But, no, not great.

It's an amazing technical achievement. The cameras themselves seem weightless - there truly is no Up or Down in this film.

The story is thin - essentially a riff on APOLLO 13 (complete with Ed Harris as the voice of Mission Control) -- not to mention MAROONED --with dashes of 2001, ALIENS and, especially, DARK STAR. As an action effects vehicle it is terrific, but, it won't reach the pantheon of Science Fiction films, because there is little else beyond the surface.

See it on the biggest screen you can, though. Worth the extra drive not to see it BIG.

It's just a damn shame that this was made during the early days of digital projection. Instead of awesome views of the blackness of space, you get the mediocre muddy views of the greyness............

Post subject: Re: Gravity
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:36 am 

I think this would be a great marathon pick within the next year or two, if possible. Similar to Inception at this year's marathon, it would give people who missed it a chance to see a well-liked recent movie, enthusiastic fans like myself and IamJacksUserID a chance to revisit it on the big screen, and less enthusiastic (or exceedingly hungry) marathonners a chance to run out for dinner during a movie they've seen recently.

Also, does the Drexel have a 3D projector?