The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:39 pm 

I enjoyed this thread for the horror marathon in October so I figured I'd start it off.

This past weekend I kicked off my marathon prep with The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension, which showed at the Columbus sci-fi marathon in 2011, and a few episodes of Star Trek: TOS.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:45 am 

I've been on a John Agar kick. One of my favorites, Zontar: The Thing From Venus. It cracks me up every time I watch it. Tonight I am planning to watch Journey to the Seventh Planet. I love the space suits in that one...

Attachments:
seventh.jpg
seventh.jpg [ 9.03 KiB | Viewed 15869 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:03 am 

Haha, me too. Journey to the Seventh Planet showed at my first sci-fi marathon in 2008.

Last night I watched Troll Hunter, which showed at the 'thon in 2011, although I wasn't there to enjoy it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:58 am 

That movie is REALLY well done and surprisingly original. I'll have to hand it to the Norwegians, I am liking what they have been producing lately. Dod Sno was decent enough as new zombie movies go. I like the Nazi twist. It reminds me of a Nazi zombie movie I stumbled into a long time ago called "Shock Waves" which was terribly hilarious....

Attachments:
Shock.jpg
Shock.jpg [ 13.44 KiB | Viewed 15865 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:17 am 

Watched the following

Battle Royale
Blade Runner
Stingray Sam
Spaceboy Remake
Night of the Comet
Chopping Mall

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:53 am 

Had a triple feature over the weekend:

Frequently Asked Questions about Time Travel
Looper
Highlander

I'll probably watch Manborg again before the marathon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:48 am 

willcail wrote:
Watched the following

Battle Royale
Blade Runner
Stingray Sam
Spaceboy Remake
Night of the Comet
Chopping Mall

I have always wanted to see Battle Royale on the big screen. I think it would be a great candidate for a marathon. The sequel on the other hand, not so much.

Chopping Mall is hilarious. Horny Teens locked in a shopping mall while being hunted by short circuited, robot killing machines. What's not to love? The death scenes are awesomely done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I95XKH9SRy0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:34 pm 

Yesterday I watched Dredd (2012) and The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (2001). Also continuing to watch Star Trek: The Original Series. It's encouraging to me that "science fiction" covers so many different types of works; it means a marathon lineup that can take us all over the cinematic landscape!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:07 pm 

I just watched, "Abraxas: Guardian of the Universe"(1990), starring Jesse "The Crazy Ass" Ventura. Whoah... I can't say I was surprised at how B-tastic it was considering it is from a twelve disc box of a 50 movie sci-fi invasion box set that i bought for $5 at Wal-mart. I enjoyed it for the many reasons that I enjoy any B movie, but wow... I am continually amazed at the amount of goofy, sub-par movies, and for that I thank the universe and its undying ability to make craptastic movies at an unrelenting rate.

Jim Belushi makes a 45 second appearance and Jesse has this balding rat tail going on that is uncontrollably laughable considering he is an 11,000 year old intergalactic peacekeeper who comes to earth to protect a child who has the anti-life equation locked inside his mind. For the child is hunted by Abraxas' (Jesse V.) former partner and father of the child, crazy European accent guy who is also an 11,000 years old alien/robotesque being, and shit goes down in small town Earth. I forgot to mention that all this is taking place around Christmas which, to me, makes this a Christmas movie. If you have a six pack and an hour and a half, then check it out. I'm sure you will be delightfully disappointed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:23 pm 

Battle Royale already screened two years ago. It was screened SF29. The so called final marathon that uses 35MM. Then there was SF30. It was the primetime Jay Leno show of marathons. Then the 35MM projector was risen from the grave for the 5th Shock Around the Clock.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:49 pm 

Olympics. Plus reading a series of History/Fantasy novels by Mercedes Lackey/Eric Flint/Dave Freer starting with the The Shadow of the Lion,
The depth of written fiction mostly surpasses filmed stuff. Get into it.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:41 am 

Jaglavak wrote:
I just watched, "Abraxas: Guardian of the Universe"(1990), starring Jesse "The Crazy Ass" Ventura. Whoah...

Haha, a friend and I watched that a couple years ago and laughed our asses off. I don't understand why Jesse Ventura's movie career never took off :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:58 am 

agentstinky wrote:
Jaglavak wrote:
I just watched, "Abraxas: Guardian of the Universe"(1990), starring Jesse "The Crazy Ass" Ventura. Whoah...

Haha, a friend and I watched that a couple years ago and laughed our asses off. I don't understand why Jesse Ventura's movie career never took off :roll:

That scene where he was sitting in bed and commenced to telling a story about two men who were "partners" to the little kid. No lie, I did my first real life spit take.

http://youtu.be/WO8ELzrwVtA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:42 pm 

I have been reading "Cruel Miracles" a book of sci-fi shorts by Orson Scott Card. It is hypnotically captivating...

Attachments:
osc.png
osc.png [ 95.21 KiB | Viewed 15754 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:54 pm 

Some more

Macross Do You Remember Love?

Non canoncial Macross II lover's Again

Ender's Game

Transformers The Animated Movie

Super Mario Bros.

Steel

Swamp Thing