The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:24 am 

I hoped that Gravity and Spaceboy will not get lost. Cut out some trailers to get to them.

Nice to see Chopping Mall and Night of the Comet back to back.

How Long are the intermissions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:52 pm 

Don't forget Duck Dodgers... without Dodgers and Gravity, the Marathon would be like The Day The Earth Stood Still without Gort.

By the way, really really happy about the lineup this year. Bruce, you deserve two, count 'em, TWO shiny certificates at the end of this year's marathon....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:40 am 

Last year they played Duck Dodgers before the offical start of the marathon. Grr I hated that. Getting my lunch and seeing it on the screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:52 am 

SPACEBOY is the shizzle. To think that Zappa played on it makes it even better. I guarantee you won't see THAT one anywhere else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:22 am 

geekzapoppin wrote:
Yeah, I'm all for cutting a feature if it means more trailers. Considering that the shorts and trailers are the things that are least available to see outside of a marathon, I hope we don't lose too many of them. :(

Well, I do hope some of the standard shorts do show up, but the feature films vs. shorts/trailers debate seems to show up every year, and it seems like the past few years have had a couple less features and, consequently, a lot more room for trailers and shorts. That's fine by me, but I'm also happy to mix it up a bit, and I'm happy to see a feature-heavy 'thon. I'm sure we won't always have this packed of a schedule, so I think it'll be fun for a change.

That being said, the list of shorts I want to see is constantly growing:
Gravity
Space Boy
Duck Dodgers
Chub Chubs
They're Made Out of Meat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:19 pm 

Mr. E. wrote:
They're Made Out of Meat
I liked that one.
If not this year, hopefully it'll show up again in another year or two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:47 pm 

My opinion on shorts and the tradition of repeating shorts is probably different than most. Tradition is fine, but how many shorts can you make a “tradition” – Spaceboy, Gravity, Night of the Living Bread, Loaf, The Other Bread Movie, Duck Dodgers, Chub Chubs…. To me it starts to get old, year after year seeing the same shorts over and over. Sure it’s cool to try and introduce the newbies to some of these incredible shorts that they won’t get to see anyplace else, I mean, has anyone seen Spaceboy any other place besides the marathon? So I understand why people want to see them every year, but why not explore new shorts and different programming. Sure, chose one or two to repeat, but search out more. This is easier said than done.

I am not implying that we should program a shorts “festival” within the marathon every year, but instead try showing something that hasn’t been seen before, afterall there was a first time for all of these films. There is probably more cool stuff out there, some new like Chub Chubs and some old relics like Spaceboy. If any of these should be tradition it is Duck Dodgers IMHOP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:09 pm 

I'm all for adding new shorts. I think the problem lies in actually acquiring said shorts. It's hard enough finding prints of new shorts, much less older more "unique" shorts like SPACE BOY.

Still and all, it ain't like I'm going to boycott a marathon because there aren't enough trailers. The 'Thon rocks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

carter9000 wrote:
Night of the Living Bread, Loaf, The Other Bread Movie

Now, now ... let's not forget "Sandwich" :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:12 pm 

Well, the bread films have only played sporadically and they are more for the horror crowd anyway I think. Duck Dodgers and Gravity have been around since the marathon was born, so I think those are the only two truly "traditional" shorts. And how can you argue against showing either one of those every year?

SPACEBOY has become our new "tradition" since it was unleashed on the masses and I'm not willing to give that up. SPACEBOY is a truly unique experience and needs to stay as long as the marathon. And besides, Bruce owns the print as far as I know.

I agree with Carter that shorts and trailers need to be shuffled around year to year, but I would argue that you don't mess with these three.

THE CHUBCHUBS has played every year since it came out, but I'm not willing to give it a spot in the "tradition" category. Sure, it's nice seeing it every year, but it was a mass market release, so not truly unique.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:31 pm 

I have to leave the theatre when spaceboy comes on.... I just can't watch it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:35 pm 

I agree with IamJacksUserID. Gravity and Dodgers are required if available.

Whenever I tell someone about the marathon, Gravity is one of the first things I mention.

I've went through my comedy stages with Spaceboy. Funny, not funny, funny again and I would miss it if it wasn't there, but I'm not sure if it skipped a year I would be crushed.

I wouldn't mind seeing the bread films in a rotation, one per year.

I would like to see Party, with Gary Coleman, again. Also the one about a race of aliens that collect skyscrapers.

Here's a question, which trailers should be played every year?

First that comes to mind is A Nymphoid Barabarian in Dinosaur Hell. Then Scanners. I'm sure there are more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:35 pm 

I totally agree with the previous post. Spaceboy was good the first couple of times, but I don't really consider it part of the Marathon "tradition", as opposed to say, Gravity and Duck Dodgers, which I think are integral to the Marathon experience. I wouldn't be heartbroken in the least if Spaceboy was dumped to make room for new material.

Funny to hear it mentioned that Gravity is one of the first things talked about when describing the Marathon to outsiders. Gravity was the first thing described to me by the guys who introduced me to the Marathon about 15 years ago (Lord, I must be getting old). Following in their footsteps, it has always been one of the first, if not the first, thing I use to tell others about the Marathon.

A Nymphoid Barabarian in Dinosaur Hell is certainly one of the most "marathon-worthy" trailers in the regular lineup, due mostly to the fact that it's so ideal for marathoid participation. Who doesn't like screaming out at the top of their lungs, "A NYMPHOID BARBARIAN IN DINOSAUR HELL!" five or ten times?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:28 am 

Gravity Duck Dodgers and Spaceboy are the standard shorts. I always get my "second wind" when watching Spaceboy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:35 am 

What the regulars have to remember is that there are always a great many of the attendees who have never heard of SPACEBOY. I'm sure we can all remember out first times. It should always be shown, if only for the unsuspecting newbies.