The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:35 am 
Site Admin

There's no turning back the clock now!

Yep, it's finally here: the much-speculated upon Official Lineup for the 31st Annual Ohio 24-Hour Science Fiction Marathon (March 15-16 at the Drexel Theater)! Blast off into a brave new Marathon world with us as we explore filmic visions of the future! As previously announced, we're proud to present a sparkling 2K DCP version of the much-lauded 2010 Kino restoration of Fritz Lang's visionary science-fiction masterpiece METROPOLIS! But we'll also be channeling such celluloid prognostications as:

*Kurt Russell heading an all-star cast plunged smack dab in the middle of the dystopian prison world of New York City, in a new 2K DCP of John Carpenter's Panavision classic ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK!

*The psychedelic cyberpunk world of Neo-Tokyo in Katsuhiro Otomo's ground-breaking anime landmark AKIRA!

*Arnold Schwarzenegger trapped in Richard Dawson's kill or be killed, ultimate game show nightmare in THE RUNNING MAN (in 35mm!)!

*A 35mm print of the post-apocalyptic New Zealand cult classic THE QUIET EARTH!

*Karl Urban bringing cult comic icon Judge Dredd to life in the gritty, underrated DREDD, in hallucinatory 2K DCP Panavision!

*The payoff to one of the great trailers in Marathon history! Yep, it's Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro's post-apocalyptic dark comedy DELICATESSEN!

*A 35mm print of the off the wall, day-glo, Banana Splits on acid, all-time Marathon classic INFRA-MAN!

PLUS!

*Emilio Estevez and Harry Dean Stanton on the hunt for a '64 Chevy Malibu in a 2K DCP of Alex Cox's punk classic REPO MAN!

*The definitive 1950's alien invasion classic EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS, in xeromorphic 2K DCP!

*Kyle MacLahlan in a 35mm print of the alien possession actioner THE HIDDEN!

AND!

*The 31st Annual Costume Contest with $100 First Prize!
*Vintage trailers and shorts in glorious 35mm!
*The coveted Certificate of Marathoid Behavior to all who survive!
*Surprises! Hilarity! Caffeine-induced dementia!

Tickets for this cinematic starflight are:

$35 in advance
$40 at the door (if they last)

And are available at

-The Drexel Theater (2254 E. Main St.)
-Laughing Ogre Comics (4258 N. High St.)
-The PayPal link on this website (http://www.scifimarathon.com)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:18 am 

Excellent lineup! Especially happy to see Jack Sholder's hugely underrated, "LA is a soulless hellhole" epic The Hidden finally get a Marathon viewing. It's always been a favorite of mine, cheesy 80's hair and all. Nice thematic pairing with Repo Man, now that I think of it... 8)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:57 am 

I am pleased with this year's lineup. Nice selction of films. See one can get good SF films on DCP. Now will Spaceboy and Gravity be screened? At the end of the month I can get a ticket and go to SF30. Yes last year didn't happen it was a bad dream.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:15 am 

Of all the years to have to miss a marathon!!!! Great line up guys!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:32 am 

Looks great, can't wait!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:43 am 

I woke up this morning and read the lineup, then checked my mailbox and the ticket was in there! Great morning! :D I'm pumped!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:20 am 

Congratulations and thank you for achieving such an interesting and dynamic lineup. This will be one to remember!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:27 am 

I put together a YouTube playlist of the trailers for all the films announced in the lineup: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGwyiA9f6MeV4pF-2rhK0xq_yNdpCbriR. WARNING: Some of these trailers are pretty spoilerific. Enjoy and get excited!

I did this last year for the Horror Marathon as well (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGwyiA9f6MeVkv3bBFAsPPZhDepK2eDTx) if you're interested, although one or more of the videos may have been deleted since then.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:32 am 

Serious question. Will Akira be the original Streamline dub? Subtitled? 35mm or digital?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:10 pm 

I love this line-up! I'm excited to be a part of it! Let's do it!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:24 pm 

According to the Nite Hawk Theater website that the "print" of Akira is a DCP with english subtitles. The screening of Akira is Feburary 21.

This could be the DCP that is going around the niche movie theaters.

http://www.nitehawkcinema.com/coming-soon/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:53 pm 

Great lineup!

I'm thinking either Escape From New York or Running Man would make a good closer.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:55 pm 

Did I miss an answer in another thread to the subs vs. dub/film vs. digital question for Akira, or is it going to be a surprise for when the print gets to the theater? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

Per the AKIRA question, the current plan is to show the original Japanese language version with subtitles. It's really the best way to present it (the dubbing tends to be a bit dodgy.) The only current format available to book in the U.S. is on Blu-Ray. Granted, that's not the ideal that we strive for, but it should still look good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:11 pm 

Really bummed out that my group got 7 new people last year to come and (IMO) it was a weak year. This year 3 of them aren't coming back..wish I could have gotten them this year instead. Tho they did love Danger 5. Talked it up and got someone new and they are bringing 2 people. Must keep spreading the good word! :)