The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

Ghost wrote:
Can the official Sci-Fi Marathon Twitter Hashtag be: "#OhioSciFi" (without the ") starting now and lasting until twitter dies? And Likewise for the Horror Marathon "#OhioHorror"???

Twitter? What's that?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

Whew. Okay, I think that's all for tonight. Unless Kevin Carr wants to add a question.

Feel free to reply to my responses. I'll check back in a bit, and we can keep this thread open as a general conversation about the Marathons.

Thanks you guys. This was exhausting for my fingers, but very fun as well. Can't wait to see you all this weekend!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:48 pm 

Oh gosh... since I've been called out by name, I suppose I should ask something. (Though I had the privilege of grilling you and Bruce with all of my other questions in my podcast.)

So here's my question: Can we expect a mid-March date to be relatively set in stone for the SciFi Marathon? Or will there be conflicts (like rotating spring breaks) that will change the date?

Oh, and one more... What can we do as an audience (aside from buying a ticket and convincing others to attend) to help build the core audience and get the word out for this and future marathons?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:05 pm 
Site Admin

kevincarr wrote:
Oh gosh... since I've been called out by name, I suppose I should ask something. (Though I had the privilege of grilling you and Bruce with all of my other questions in my podcast.)

So here's my question: Can we expect a mid-March date to be relatively set in stone for the SciFi Marathon? Or will there be conflicts (like rotating spring breaks) that will change the date?

Oh, and one more... What can we do as an audience (aside from buying a ticket and convincing others to attend) to help build the core audience and get the word out for this and future marathons?

Kevin Carr: Question Master!

I'll try not to misquote him, but for years Bruce has wanted to set a mid-March date as a fairly regular time for the SF Marathon. As far as we can tell, it only interferes with Easter once in the next twenty years. But we'll see how things go.

What can you as an audience do? Well, word of mouth is always our greatest asset. But we're also always looking for people to distribute fliers in places where they'd drum up some support. Our Facebook, Twitter and internet feeds have allowed us to increase our audience reach, but we still have to convince people to show up. So I dunno.....maybe blackmail a bunch of people who are on the fence? Oh wait, did I say that?

Wait! I know! When you tell people about the Marathons, make sure to emphasize that they're not just a collection of films, that the people and the experience are as much fun as the movies. We're going to try to emphasize that aspect more in the coming months, but in the meantime, let newbies (and remind lapsed believers) that this truly is an event.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:07 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
AEinhorn wrote:
How much of a concern is the current (average) audience size for the future of these events?

It's why we stress to the Marathon faithful (and to newbies) that we need them to attend the events to keep them alive. We still too often meet attendees who, even if we announce the date, lineup, etc. months out, still take the attitude of "eh, maybe I'll show up if nothing else is going on that weekend" or "but do you have a guest?" (more on that later.) A few too many people seem to take the events for granted, but we need large crowds to keep these things alive...and vital.

Sorry, hope that didn't sound defensive. It's just the reality of the situation.

We are flying in a friend from New York City to go!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:52 pm 
Site Admin

TSElliot wrote:
We are flying in a friend from New York City to go!

Yes! You're good soldiers in the Great Marathon Army!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:02 am 

Awesome, Joe! Thanks for the peek behind the curtain!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:14 am 

Joe Neff wrote:
willcail wrote:
Will Zardoz makes an future appearence at the SF Marathon?

And speaking of the big Z! We'd absolutely LOVE to show ZARDOZ at a Marathon. It's so damn strange, and yet it's also a pretty cool, pseudo-avant garde genre film. And we've tried to get it for several years now. However, 20th Century Fox owns the rights to it, and they have recently instituted a very strict policy about what type of film rentals they will allow. If they have a DCP of a title, they'll rent it out to a venue. And they've also been known to clear screenings of collector prints in the past (which is how we screened that gorgeous print of SUSPIRIA last fall.) But they've also instituted a policy that doesn't allow for clearing screenings of DVDs or Blu-Rays, mainly because they want to maintain control over what materials involved in the video release are shown (for instance, they probably don't want a venue to show the film with the director's commentary running.)

So we're a bit limited as to what we can show when it comes to Fox titles. And we haven't been able to track down a good 35mm print of ZARDOZ. But don't give up hope.

The Portage Theater in Chicago screened a beautiful 35mm print of Zardoz last Spring. It was the last movie to screen before the theater shut down unexpectedly the next week (unexpected because we never knew the date it was closing, but with legal disputes it was only a matter of time before the Portage was shuttered). The screening had well over 300 people there, and was hosted by some local film society whose name escapes me. PM me Joe, if you're interested and I'll try to track down the programmers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:30 am 

Joe Neff wrote:
What can you as an audience do? Wait! I know! When you tell people about the Marathons, make sure to emphasize that they're not just a collection of films, that the people and the experience are as much fun as the movies. We're going to try to emphasize that aspect more in the coming months, but in the meantime, let newbies (and remind lapsed believers) that this truly is an event.

I am bringing a marathon Virgin to the Sci-Fi, been trying to get him to a marathon for years and he finally gave in, if he loves it he will be back!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:36 pm 

When will the next Podcast be?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:14 pm 

I thought I remembered them mentioning that the next podcast would be a wrap-up of the horror marathon.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

Fear not: more podcasts are headed your way. We originally planned on recording the next one today, but scheduling conflicts forced us to push it back until next week.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:45 pm 

When will the next Podcast be?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:45 am 

Didn't you hear Joe? He said it would be next week....
....oh!

:)