The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:29 pm 

I have hesitated to post my reaction to the Marathon for several reasons. Hence the late date of posting. Perhaps as the year rolls on people will come back to this site and read my comments. Please react.
The most obvious reason that I hesitated is that it's a fairly negative review that I do not intend to be critical of Bruce and his minions and the job that they do. After the problems of the previous year, the job performed for the 2014 fest was admirable. Overall, I liked the choices made, the contests, short bits and most of the movies.
First. I left early. A person who I was driving had a security obligation that came up (he works for TSA) that was not predictable and had to get back to northern Ohio. Hence I missed the last two films. I watched Dredd & Escape --- on Netflix after I got home. That did not change my basic problem with the Marathon. In fact, it significantly reinforced my reaction.
My problem is that that violence in the form of bullets, explosions, death, eviscerations, mayhem and various sadistic forms of violence do not define science fiction. I am certainly not a pacifist and do not criticize the presence of violence in movies. It is part of life and a big part of the rush that I, and I am sure most of the attendees, enjoy. Movies use violence. Some movies (and specifically The Hidden at the Marathon) can use it as a shocking element to raise a movie a ways above the hundreds of movies that could be shown. Even movies that are about violence are okay as a minority of what might be shown.
So. Why why do I have problems? At least five movies were about killing. That is not what science fiction, which historically is a genre of ideas, is about. Watch Die Hard (and I enjoyed it) if you want mayhem as the solution to problems. Okay. Why object to The Running Man? I don't especially. It's a lousy movie, but that's not my point. It's the preponderance of the movies shown, Dredd, plus Escape, plus Akira, plus Running Man, plus Infra and even the classic us EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS, are about violence as the solution to all problems. At least two others were violent, but that wasn't what they were about.
Criticize that there are a lot of great murderous movies if you like. But why so many, and call them science fiction?
I know that I am going against the grain. Perhaps it's my age. (Fogy) But the other half of the movies were about creativity, even thought. Why settle for half?

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:43 pm 

Ya know. I re-read my post above and thought that it was pretty shitty. Thanks for Metropolis, Quiet Earth, Repo Man, The Hidden, the shorts & previews and even the diversity of Earth vs. & even one or two death as the solution flics.
It's easy to criticize, easy to sit in a seat & snipe.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:33 am 

Message removed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:06 am 

Hi Pogo, I understand what you are saying but these movies fit into the "Future Shock" Theme of the Marathon, the majority of the movies at this 'thon were about a possible violent future that if we are not careful could come true. It's a very popular theme even in modern movies like The Hunger Games. To me they have always been a cautionary tale about where we are heading as a species. Hope this helps make you feel a little better.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:02 am 

I'll second what Ghost said. I think keeping consistent with the Future Shock theme will yield more films with violent overtones, and particularly gun violence. The same can be said for dystopian future themes, which were plentiful at this year's marathon but understandable because it fits in with the theme.

Violence does tend to run hand-in-hand with science fiction, particularly modern (i.e., post 1970) science fiction. Case in point, Star Wars is probably one of the most violent movies around, considering they're blowing up planets and space stations the size of moons. :-)

I think what might also play into this is how many of the films come from the same era (e.g., Running Man, The Hidden, Escape and Akira) were all made around the same time, and these seemed to be common themes of the 80s.

Take heart, though. I'm sure the theme for next year's marathon will lend itself to very different titles. Sometimes the overall similarities in the marathon line-ups aren't even apparent until the movies are all watched over the course of a day, and everyone says, "Hmm... yeah, they do have some very similar things going on."

So I wouldn't interpret this as a problem with sci-fi or the marathons in general. It's just a result of this particular line-up. Science fiction is, if nothing else, pretty diverse throughout the years. :-)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:37 pm 

So I was going to ask how the violence in this year's marathon compared to the previous few years, but then I decided to not be lazy and look for myself. And it does appear that this year's marathon may have been a bit more violent than usual. Well at least with the way it ended.

I can see a little how you might be put off by that entire last half of the marathon with some of the best from the 80's, which tended to lean violent sometimes. (Technically Judge Dredd was created in the 70's, but close enough.)

But to be fair, there was certainly science fiction going on in most of those movies. Running Man and Escape From New York may not be what you'd call "thinking man's science fiction", but they do strive to present an imaginative view of the future, mixed in with a fair amount of social commentary, and warnings that not only applied to society back in the 80's but can still be seen as relevant today.

Dredd, of course, really is a glorification of violence, even moreso than the gameshow violence of Running Man. But that's been Dredd for decades. And in Dredd's defense, that was some legit science fiction right there. A fantastic future setting, just on the edge of being realistically believeable, a clever scientific explanation for all the slow motion special effect that movies love to use, and an attempt at integrating something like telepathy into a "day-to-day job" setting.

I think it's rather unfair to say that Akira was about violence. Come on, the movie was about so much more than that.

That said, you are probably right that this marathon trended a bit more violent than usual. Sorry you didn't like it very much, but it's probably safe to assume that future marathons may not be quite so violent. Though do keep in mind that recent marathons have included violent fare such as Battle Royale, and actually looking through the list right now, I'm seeing that 2009 gave us the overnight foursome of Mutant Chronicles, Robocop, Tokyo Gore Police, and Rollerball. That seems like it should rank right up there with the ending of this marathon. (Frankly, it could probably rival any other marathon on Tokyo Gore Police alone.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:12 pm 

Pogo's remarks have a lot of resonance.

SF authors have bemoaned the 'cheap action and violence' in filmed sci-fi since the genre was created. And, renowned author Susan Sontag wrote a seminal piece called "The Imagination of Disaster" back in 1965 which references specifically a lot of 50s Sci-Fi films:

http://americanfuturesiup.files.wordpre ... saster.pdf

For me, the turning point in modern sci-fi cinema was ALIENS back in 1985. Ridley Scott's original certainly had violence and terror, but, it was so elegantly done and there was a rich undercurrent of ideas. But, to me, ALIENS was just a WWII War picture done with creatures instead of Germans. Hollywood took note and soon it seemed like most big-budget "Science Fiction" films were simply action movies (cops, war stories, action-adventure) with a few SF elements tossed in.

Don't get me wrong, I still a lot of them are terrific movies (ALIENS not among them), but, my favorite genre pictures still tend to be ones about ideas first and foremost - DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL, 2001, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3RD KIND, BLADE RUNNER (again, Ridley Scott's elegant filmmaking elevates it over the action tropes) etc.

As far as the Marathon is concerned, I will continue to champion smaller films with more pure SF aspirations such as MOON, FREQUENCY, EUROPA REPORT, SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED, THE QUIET EARTH etc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:47 am 

L.A. Connection wrote:
As far as the Marathon is concerned, I will continue to champion smaller films with more pure SF aspirations such as MOON, FREQUENCY, EUROPA REPORT, SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED, THE QUIET EARTH etc.

And don't forget "The Last Push"!!

And as much as I like this list of films above you also have to remember that this is a 24 hour event and the best way to keep the audience awake is Action and Explosions. I disagree with you about ALIENS, yes it's more of a WAR movie but it's also a GREAT movie. In the original ALIEN the crew was caught off guard and got picked off 1 by 1 but in ALIENS they knew about the possible Danger and they went prepared (or so they thought) I feel this is a natural progression for the franchise.

In my opinion the best "closing" movie in the History of the Marathons was FLASH GORDON, lots of Action, Explosions, Fights and cheesy lines. It was impossible to sleep through even if you wanted to because those that remained were cheering and clapping and screaming AH AH everytime someone oncreen said "Flash", had the last movie been Moon or The Quiet Earth the echos of snoring marathoners would be the only noise in the theater.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:11 am 

First, I just want to thank Joe, Bruce, the staff of the Drexel Theater, the volunteers and everyone who donated prizes. This was TRULY the most exciting event I have ever been to. And now...
My review of the 31st Annual Ohio 24 Hour Sci Fi Marathon:

Weather:
The weather was suprisingly nice. It was a wee bit chilly, not freezing...until the marathon was over the next day lol

Concession Stand:
There were awesome marathon deals and my FAVORITE brand of pizza (Donatos), a nice variety of donuts and more, but are Jimmy John's subs SUPPOSED to be served uncooked?

EARTH VS THE FLYING SAUCERS:
a.k.a. HUBCAP: THE MOVIE! A fun, cheesy movie and a great use of hubcaps! 50's Sci Fi movies have more cheese than Wisconsin.

THE QUIET EARTH:
I own this film on DVD. I LOVE this movie all the way up until the second guy comes along. I HATE him! He was an obnoxious dick that took away the guy's woman! I liked it better when it was just the two of them. I love movies like this where people are alone and miserable, because I can relate lol

METROPOLIS:
A fine classic but the ONE MOVIE that I kept bobbing my head up and down to due to drowsiness. Kind of ironic, considering this is the movie whose main character appears on the marathon ticket.

DELICATESSEN:
I had seen this a LONG time ago. Humorous and whacky. I would have liked to see a backstory on WHY that woman was suicidal.

INFRAMAN:
The probable inspiration for Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, right down to the freakin' LIGHTNING BOLT SYMBOL!! I noticed likenesses of Rita Repulsa and the Megazord as well. VERY fun movie!

AKIRA:
THE BEST animated film of all time, period. That's it. That's all that needs to be said.

THE HIDDEN:
A great film that I really enjoyed. I seen the preview of this on TV a really long time ago. I finally learned what that movie is about. Definitely reminded me of Night Of The Creeps and The Borrower.

REPO MAN:
GREAT film with lots of gritty violence, but WTF WAS IN THE TRUNK!!??? I think they mention it, not sure.

THE RUNNING MAN:
I didn't watch this film that much because I was distracted by a young couple "doing something" to each other under a blanket right on the floor in the aisle just to the left of me! LOL Interesting to note: This movie inspired a video game called "Smash TV".

DREDD:
MY FAVORITE film of the entire line up! THIS is the one I most wanted to see! I tried to watch this years ago, but stopped due to distractions. About halfway, I had to go to the bathroom VERY BADLY, but I didn't want to miss a single second of Dredd, so I stayed.

ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK:
A nice, gritty action thriller from John Carpenter! Better than the sequel, that's for sure. I wonder if Doomsday is a remake of this.

Over the years, I noticed that the short "Gravity" disturbs me a little, and this is not an insult to anyone who enjoys it at all. Just my opinion, but I find it inappropriate when a real life little girl who appears to be 7 years old is exposed to a sex act, then a grown man appears to flash her his genitalia. Does anyone else agree? I just wonder what sick person thought it was a good idea to have a child involved in such mature themes. Again, just my opinion.
Joe said that the audience has gotten too kind. I can explain why I'm not more vocal. Whenever I crack a joke at a movie and no one laughs, I feel stupid, but if people actually WANT to hear my unfunny lack of talent, okee dokee lol By the way Joe, I apologize if my speech was slurred at the time. I was exhausted. I meant to say you and Bruce are the best thing about my year. I go to many events here in Ohio, but my two favorite are the 24 hour marathons. They complete my year, and I am so thankful for all the hard work you both do.

Last edited by David2012 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:01 am 

DELICATESSEN
They actually do explain this in the film. The woman believes she is hearing voices from beyond the grave calling her to commit suicide. The voices say things like, "come to us...", "it's better over here", etc. This is naturally driving her mad. It turns out that it's another character whispering through the pipes into her apartment to drive her to commit suicide.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:37 pm 

WolfNC17 wrote:
DELICATESSEN
They actually do explain this in the film. The woman believes she is hearing voices from beyond the grave calling her to commit suicide. The voices say things like, "come to us...", "it's better over here", etc. This is naturally driving her mad. It turns out that it's another character whispering through the pipes into her apartment to drive her to commit suicide.

Oh, I think I remember now. Thanks :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

David2012 wrote:
REPO MAN: WTF WAS IN THE TRUNK!!???

Four dead alien bodies. They look like sausages. They're not on ice or anything, they could be starting to decay.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:01 am 

David2012 wrote:
a.k.a. HUBCAP: THE MOVIE! A fun, cheesy movie and a great use of hubcaps! 50's Sci Fi movies have more cheese than Wisconsin...

For shame! Equating the fine Special Effects work of the master, Ray Harryhausen with cheap 'hubcap' type effects like in Plan 9 From Outer Space.

For SHAME.

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:10 pm 

L.A. Connection wrote:
David2012 wrote:
a.k.a. HUBCAP: THE MOVIE! A fun, cheesy movie and a great use of hubcaps! 50's Sci Fi movies have more cheese than Wisconsin...

For shame! Equating the fine Special Effects work of the master, Ray Harryhausen with cheap 'hubcap' type effects like in Plan 9 From Outer Space.

For SHAME.

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Look, I really did enjoy this movie. My HONEST thoughts about this movie are, it is well made. When I said "cheesy", I didn't think it would offend anyone. My point was, the UFO's looked like hubcaps. I was thinking how hubcaps may have been used as the UFO's, and if they were, it is not at all like what you would see in today's alien invasion movies. That is what I meant. For the record, I have never seen "Plan 9 From Outer Space".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:37 pm 

David2012 wrote:
Over the years, I noticed that the short "Gravity" disturbs me a little, and this is not an insult to anyone who enjoys it at all. Just my opinion, but I find it inappropriate when a real life little girl who appears to be 7 years old is exposed to a sex act, then a grown man appears to flash her his genitalia. Does anyone else agree? I just wonder what sick person thought it was a good idea to have a child involved in such mature themes. Again, just my opinion.

Comedy is always subjective, what one person finds funny may offend someone else (find the thread that deals with the Homer Simpson USA USA chant and you will see what I mean) but in reality the little girl was staring at an empty bed and not exposed to a sex scene and when the man opens his lab coat he is not naked, the actress involved had no clue what the scene was about, she told us that when she appeared live along with the creators of "Gravity". Some of the the comedy in Gravity is based on the SHOCK value of what you think your seeing.

Just think, a 14 year old Linda Blair said and did far worse in The Exorcist.