The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hey, come on ya mugs!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

It's been downright quiet around these parts! Now that the Sci-Fi Marathon is a bit more stable, is there nothing to discuss? Should we create a problem just for the requisite grumbling?

Okay, so what's everyone most excited to see?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:00 pm 

I am shocked and appalled at having an early announcement of the date! Don't you know I depend on having the marathon unexpectedly crop up and throw my schedule out of whack?!?!?

Having the entire schedule (more or less) early enough to create fliers is disgusting! I was actually able to show my friends the line-up as I tried to persuade them to come! How dare you?!?!?!

Far too many films are actually scheduled in 35MM or in 2K or 4K! Terrible resolution and print quality is what I expect, nay, demand!

The costume contest is back. Again! This will not stand, sirs!

</sarcasm>

Ok, in all seriousness, I am probably most excited for METROPOLIS. I've seen the restored print when it came through at the Wexner, but I'm still drooling with anticipation to see it again. Will there be an intermission?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:14 pm 

There will be an intermission before and after Metropolis. The movie is 148 minutes long. The SF marathon isn't for people with short attention spans.

The only movie that I haven't seen countless times is The Hidden. The rest of the lineup is a huge improvement.

Now I'm glad that Spaceboy and the trailers are returning.
Just post the schedule already.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:17 pm 

I asked if there was an intermission because when the print toured, they ran it with an intermission - not because I didn't think the audience had enough of an attention span to endure a 153 minute movie (although 2.5 hours of a silent film is a bit much - and when ENTHIRAN played a few years ago, a 165 minute movie with subtitles, they used an intermission there too.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:58 am 

I'm looking forward to 24 hours without Geico commercials, reality TV shows, Justin Bieber, news about Justin Bieber, or Toronto mayor Rob Ford. Is there any chance you could lock me in the theater?

Seriously though, I'm looking forward to seeing just about everything in the lineup. Although I've seen virtually every film, I've seen very few of them on the big screen. So this year's lineup should be a real treat. While lacking in premieres (or might there still be hope for one?), there's a sense of quality and variety in the lineup that can't be beat. And I recently sat through Upside Down on Netflix, which I missed at the marathon last year, so I think I can live without a premiere if that's the kind of thing that's easy to get (107 minutes of "it's a METAPHOR! Get it? Get it?").

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:20 am 

I'm pretty excited for every film on the lineup; even out of the ones I've seen, only one (DREDD, via Netflix) was recent enough for me to remember it with any detail. I will say that, since this is only my 4th Sci-Fi Marathon ever, I'm excited to see INFRA-MAN for the first time. Given the number of times it's played, it seems like a Marathon rite of passage.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:08 pm 

If there is an intermission break during Metropolis then the intermission after Metropolis should be short.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:26 pm 

As an unofficial nooby on this forum I want to pose the question of whether or not there is a meet-up type routine for the forum members. It would be cool to put faces to names. Is there such a ritual? If not, would anyone care to do so?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:39 pm 

Aside from Metropolis, it's a tie for what I can't wait to see:
Repo Man - I have seen this a ton of times, from cable, to VHS and even DVD. I haven't gotten the Criterion Blu-ray yet.
Escape from New York - Another I haven't seen on the big screen.
Akira. I have seen so many versions of this film. I'm glad it's the subtitled version, the last dub I heard was translated horribly.

the middle -

Dredd - I've seen this a couple of times, but again, not on the big screen.
The Hidden - I remember watching this, but it'll be like watching a new movie this time around.
Infra-Man - I remember this as a kid, but since I haven't seen it in 30 years or so, it will should be fun.

On the bottom:
The Running Man. I hope seeing this on the big screen will change my mind. My wife is way more excited than I am.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:03 pm 

Please screen Gravity (1975) alongside Spaceboy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:14 am 

Aside from the acknowledged cult classics, I'm also looking forward to seeing films like Delicatessen and The Quiet Earth, as I haven't seen either in decades. So it will be like rediscovering them all over again for me, as I imagine it will be for a lot of others. As those are two of the more esoteric films on the lineup, let's hope people will give them a chance...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:20 am 

Jaglavak wrote:
As an unofficial nooby on this forum I want to pose the question of whether or not there is a meet-up type routine for the forum members. It would be cool to put faces to names. Is there such a ritual? If not, would anyone care to do so?

Not sure about anything official, but if you or anyone else wants to say hi to me, feel free! I was the guy in the head wound "costume" at October's Horror Marathon that got (justifiably) booed off the stage.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:03 am 

agentstinky wrote:
Jaglavak wrote:

Not sure about anything official, but if you or anyone else wants to say hi to me, feel free! I was the guy in the head wound "costume" at October's Horror Marathon that got (justifiably) booed off the stage.

HAHA... Awesome. I remember that. I was wanting to try and muster up some sort of space suit for this contest but I'll most likely procrastinate to the point where I don't do it. I am excited to see what people come up with. I have spent all this morning watching trailers of the features, and I am really confused by Delicatessen but anxious to see it. To be honest, there isn't a movie on this list that I am not excited about.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:18 am 

One good thing that I can doze off 10 out of 11 movies. Schedule please?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:44 am 

Same with the Boston Board, Joe (and, wink wink nudge nudge still waiting for Joe and Viktruvian's post Marathon wrap-up posts -- http://sf.theboard.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya ... 1392718569).

Just seems like the Marathon is a one-day event in most younger folks' lives. They might attend and enjoy, but, don't savor it - or, at least don't want to discuss it on a messageboard.

I guess they'd rather go on FB and 'like' a video of a cat taking a crap on a dog's head, or discuss the new underarm deodorant their "friend" just bought...or Tweet about the hamburger they are eating.......

Oh, well...........

Joe Neff wrote:

It's been downright quiet around these parts! Now that the Sci-Fi Marathon is a bit more stable, is there nothing to discuss? Should we create a problem just for the requisite grumbling?