The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:22 pm 

My first marathon was the 20th annual (in 2003?)...I was dating a she-devil at the time (and not in a good way). I was at the end of my rope. I needed to get away for the weekend by myself, but at the same time I knew that being alone would make me depressed. I was looking for things to do in Columbus (about 3 hours away from me) when I wandered onto the Drexel site and saw the ad for the marathon which was to start the next morning. So I threw some things in the car and took off at the crack of dawn.

From the moment I walked in and took my seat in the back, I knew I was where I was supposed to be that very weekend. I found sanctuary that day with all of you. I didn't know a soul in that theatre, but I was surrounded by my own kind, and it felt incredible. I don't think I stopped smiling and laughing the whole time.

I love it when the audience is in full revolt during the cheesy flicks (aka Robot Monster). You are WAY more fun than MST3K. It's odd how I can still remember someone's exact words and inflection of voice years later. Random quotes that make no sense out of context still haunt me today, like "I look Faaaabulous!" and "Kill Whitey!" (from one of the Buck Rogers serials?)

I can't wait to hang with all of you again. I've been listening to my "Brain in a Box" collection to psych myself up for it. I have been reading the forums, but I decided to join today so I could thank all of you for making the marathon so incredible. I love you all!-

See you Saturday!

Ryan H.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:27 pm 

WELCOME TO OUR MADNESS!!

A few things you should know (every marathon should know):

1) Very few people can be named Bruce and still be cool and Bruce Bartoo is one of them, he is the Marathon Host and to most of us he IS the Marathon, listen to him and give him your respect!!

2) Don't talk much during the movies but if you have good timing and a funny line by all means let's hear it, if we all laugh try another one later if we don't than maybe you should keep the next one to yourself.

3) Buy pleanty of food and drinks and a T-shirt and/or Hoodie The Marathon need the support of us all.

4) Everyone on this forum has an opinion so respect it... until they don't respect yours than let 'em have it :)

5) The last part of #4 won't happen very often because everyone on here is cool.

6) Vote For JASON X to be inducted into the SCI-FI Hall of fame.

7) Bath before attending and use plenty of deodorant.

#8 Drive Safely on the way home.

9) Post on this Forum even in the off season.

10) Join the Countdown till Next Year

11) Go to the HORROR MARATHON in October

So again WELCOME TO OUR MADNESS!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:13 pm 

One of us...

One of us...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:55 pm 

Welcome indeed Ryan, good to hear that the marathon had such a positive effect on you.

Quote:
I've been listening to my "Brain in a Box" collection to psych myself up for it.

As have I as well, an excellent collection if I do say so myself. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:57 am 

My first Marathon was the Horrorthon at studio35 where the guest was Joe Bob Briggs doing the intro for Carrie. My second marathon was the "19th" Sci-Fi-thon at the Arena Grand. That was the year I laugh my head off at Spaceboy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:41 am 

I can truly say that being at the Ohio 24-hour Sci-fi marathon is a wonderful event to be experienced. But, a real marathoid should attend another one, if one is not enough. There are the few who have posted here to say the one in Boston is great, but the one I am talking about is the one in Cleveland at Case Western University in January. This year was the 32nd of its kind in a row at the same facility(no offence to the fine people who operate the Drexel ones, I have been to all to the past locations and had no problem with a change of venue from time to time). Each marathon is different in their own fashion: Case runs in a longer format of films; has their own food to sell or allows you to bring in your own; shows at least two surprise every year; has no contests to get involved in; allows its members to talk to the screen-within reason; is almost always shown on the third weekend of January. For the very same reason I go to the one in Columbus: 24 hours of film programming or so...; contests to win prizes; the prospect of seeing a Midwest, Ohio or Columbus premiere of upcoming or never-before-shown films; the different time of the year for a marathon is another good reason-though one year yours was shown the very next weekend after Case's was to experience sleep depravation two weekends in one year was enough even for the most die-hard marathoid survivor. In closing, I look forward to being amongst all of you this coming weekend for more fun and games. tata4now cinefan58 signing off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:13 pm 

When I discovered the Columbus marathons some years back, I knew it was the place for me. Now, I just plan my year knowing that unless there's a death in the family or I'm hooked up to an iron lung, I'll be in geeky bliss at least twice a year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:43 pm 

I know how you felt Ryan, i was fortunate to discover it the first year it ran in Columbus at the greatly missed Drexel North. Haven't missed a Sci Fi since, even when living in exile in Washington DC for 8 years. Wife grumbles about it, and is still mad I went two weeks after we brought our son home from Russia, but I can't imagine not going. As I told her, I have been going since long before I knew you, and you knew I attended when we got married. I barely got through the year where we only had the trailerthon, though that was a blast.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:09 pm 

sanctuary wrote:
-..... I found sanctuary that day with all of you. .

There... is... NO ....sanctuary!

You know what to do - try like Hell for Renewal. You have the same chance as anyone else - Carousel!

:) Heh - anyway - always glad to have more company at these things!