The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:17 am 
Site Admin

Aw Scott, that's down on me. When I originally mentioned who would be going earlier in the thread, I left out your names to (ahem) protect your innocence.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:25 am 

scottcoz wrote:
L.A. Connection wrote:
Our three Ohio emissaries, Bruce, Jeff Neff and Zeke all made it safe and sound.

Heyyyy... THREE Ohio emissaries? I realize JC and I are schmucks, not dignitaries like Bruce, JOE (spelling correcting), and Zeke, but there were actually FIVE Ohio emissaries, thank you!

I wish I had known! Next time introduce thyselves. I know that Pogo couldn't make it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:17 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
Pogo, as of right now the Columbus to Boston and Back Again 2015 Crew includes Dave the Z, Joey the N, and Brucie the B. And a few other longtime co-conspirators whose names will be withheld for their own future good. So if yer lookin' for friendly faces as a motivation to attend, you'll have a few.
We might actually have the largest Columbus crew to attend since the legendary SF25 in 2000. Check out the rare, vintage, highly collectible pic of said crew here in the Archives section.

To both credit & dump on the esteemed Mr. N., you will see that he indeed stated that there were/would be more than 3 in your contingent.
The dump is that the Joe(y) spelling was a quote from Mr. N's selfie reference.

And Scott. What did you get out of Boston? The films (sure) but most of all, what can you say about the way that they ran things?

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:24 pm 

Here's my review of the Marathon: Direct link: http://sf.theboard.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya ... 1899/12#12

First of all, a big THANK YOU to all those who participated and attended! It was by far, the most trying Marathon ever (it made the 36 hr. SF/10 look like a walk in the park). Like I've written, this was the heartiest audience we've ever had. Still, that joy was certainly tempered by all the Marathoners - many of them 'lifers' who couldn't make it. I truly hope that either a date change is in order, or, that the we luck out with the weather. On to the program:

In Memorium - I appreciate it, but, like I wrote last year, it needs to be half as long. Do a 'Director's cut' and put it online, but the Marathon edition should be 15 minutes max.

Duck Dodgers - Still puts me in a veritible time warp every time it opens the Marathon

SNOWPIERCER - One of last year's kookiest, most original films. I like to call it A BOY AND HIS DOG on a train. Director Bong certainly has his own way with story structure (to put it mildly), but he makes it work. I had forgotten about how unpleasant the cannibalism speech was! And, yes, the approapriatness of the booking in light of the blizzard was eerie!

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY - When a film is as familiar as the Kubrick classic, you often go in cycles as to your enjoyment level. The last time around, I found the pacing difficult. This time, it seemed to fly by in comparison. Showing it early helped. The intermission was a relief. Having Doug Trumbull in the house, certainly did. But, the nice 70mm print was the topper. There were certain shots in this print that were almost hallucinatory in their vividness. Digital smidgital. A DCP still can't hold a candle to something like this. What is also odd is now that I have totally immersed myself with Kubrick and Clarke's story, it seems to make perfect sense that is so 'obvious' you wonder why some people still find it obtuse! Wink

Douglas Trumbull - There were about 30-40 people there Marathon eve for Trumbull's appearance at the Festival. He did over 2 hours there, but, was still a very welcome presence at the 'thon. 2001, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS and BLADE RUNNER are still the holy trinity of special effects pre-CGI.

Aluminum Foil Contest - Our best contest. The entries really try

CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI - Sci-fi? Nope, but, it had been decades since I saw this. It's a marvellously original and influential silent. Without using camera tricks, just set design, makeup and costumes, it does plunge you into the mind of a patient. Jeff Rapsis? What is to say? You are FANTASTIC!

Quiet Zone & Prelude to Axanar - Quiet is cute, but slight. Axanar, I found to be a loooong kickstarter commercial

FANTASSACHERIE - This is one of those movies where you can see what the filmmaker was trying to do, but, you get frustrated because the various story threads never come together. Interesting, but failed. And, not sci-fi in the least

THEM! - Frankly, the special effects ants were never all that convincing. But, the acting, writing and direction are all so above the level of most SF of the era, that it all works. And, the queen ant colony set and egg props are damned fine

MOONRAKER - Save for the stuff with Jaws and a few gags, this Bond flick had completely been erased from my memory! And, I can see why. You could see that Broccoli and the 007 team really felt the heat from STAR WARS, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS et al and tried to step up their game - but, most of the gags are pretty lame, some groaningly so (the asian hitman being the most egregious). And, Lois Chiles is amongst the most boring Bond girls ever. The 3rd non-Sci-Fi film on the slate.

THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL - Still holds up. Whether you take it as straight SF, or look upon it as a parable with major Christ-like overtones, this remains one of the best of 50s films. And, it really struck me how Film Noirish both this and THEM! feel (of course Directors Robert Wise (DAY) and Gordon Douglas (THEM!) had experience in that genre). My young niece has come up with her own charming twist on the classic catchline:
Klaatu Burrito Nacho!

Twilight Zone - I Sing The Body Electric - A good if somewhat slight and soft episode. But, it is time to do something else with the 'available to us only on DVD' slot!

Exo-Planet Fitness Contest - What did you think, folks? I thought the contestants gave great effort, but, this was a taxing 'thon to initiate this contest in.

BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA - I was a big Carpenter fan when this came out. I thought the trailer was fantastic! I was psyched to see it in 1986. Unfortunately, I thought it was a stupid misfire. For decades folks have been telling me, 'You have to give it another shot! It's great!'. Uh, I was correct in 1986. This is a monumentally stupid film. Sure, there is fun to be had with Russell doing his John Wayne thing and Cattrall was a cutie, but, this is a misfire. The fourth non-Sci-Fi film on the slate.

IRON GIANT - I've only seen this the two times it has played the 'thon. Loved it both times. It's a little stretched in the middle section, but, the ending is a killer. In retrospect, it's not that difficult to tell why the film failed at the box office: the 50s setting, the highly specific period details, the lack of 'modern day' pop culture jokes and songs etc. As much as WE love it, it just was never going to be a Pixar level hit.

Marathon History Symposium - I pushed for this, for it is (sadly) unlikely that we will never get Bruce Bartoo, Larry Jackson and Garen on the same stage again. I hope the younger Marathoners got something out it, along with printed History which Harry & Judy Lohr, Da Bunnyman and I put together. When I mentioned a reunion at SF/50 to Bruce, he said, "Can the stage accomodate wheelchairs!?"

THIS ISLAND EARTH - I know some don't care for this one, but, I still find it a prototypical 50s B movie - for good and ill. It's colorful and schlocky and moves along well enough. Plus, it hadnt shown unexpurged in over 30 years. But, yeah, it belongs on the 'moritorium' list for the next decade or more.

Harlan Ellison Greeting - A monumental thank you to former Marathoner Nat Segaloff for putting this together and sharing it and Mr. Ellison with us.

EDGE OF TOMORROW - I still love the first 2/3 of this. One of the sharpest, wittiest and well put-together SF films of the past decade. And, I could watch 'Full Metal Bitch' Emily Blunt read the phone book. SPOILERS BELOW AT END OF POST*

Wrapping up. I want to thank Ian Judge, David Kornfeld and the entire staff of the Somerville who endured and conquered! Frank and Fran Urbano, Harry Lohr, Bruce, Joe and the Ohio Contingent, Metaluna (who got an applause line!), Lile, Brian, Wally, Simon, and my 'Connection' diehard quartet who haven't missed this in over 25 years! and all those who help make this trip special every year (and this year was VERY special!). I hope next year finds us hit the 400 or 500 mark once again.

Cheers!

2nd time around and I still don't buy the ending. Why would Cruise risk everything for his 'last' go around with a completely new plan? We've seen him go through hundreds if not thousands of variations to get 99% of the way to success just to toss it away and start all over with no 2nd chances? And, of course, there's some mysterious green goo that shows up at the very end in order for the two DEAD soldiers to get revived for one more 'Meet Cute'.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:17 pm 

pogo wrote:
To both credit & dump on the esteemed Mr. N., you will see that he indeed stated that there were/would be more than 3 in your contingent.

Heh - I was replying to LA, not you, Pogo. He wrote "Jeff Neff," not Joe (or even Joey :) )

And, LA - sorry if it seemed I was being serious - I was kidding about the reference to 3 Ohioans. I know I didn't introduce myself, and therefore, how would you have known who I was? :) While I was sitting with Joe, Bruce, and Dave, I know that they are the people who have connections in Boston, and are catching up with old friends there, so I don't feel it would be appropriate to interject myself into those interactions.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:40 pm 

scottcoz wrote:
pogo wrote:

Heh - I was replying to LA, not you, Pogo. He wrote "Jeff Neff," not Joe (or even Joey :) )

And, LA - sorry if it seemed I was being serious - I was kidding about the reference to 3 Ohioans. I know I didn't introduce myself, and therefore, how would you have known who I was? :) While I was sitting with Joe, Bruce, and Dave, I know that they are the people who have connections in Boston, and are catching up with old friends there, so I don't feel it would be appropriate to interject myself into those interactions.

I'm pretty sure LAConnection's malapropism was also intentional, which officially makes this thread way too "inside baseball," as they say.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:51 am 

Hey Dale - are you gonna make it back for SciFi this year? It'd be great to see you again... and, Keith, too, will probably attend if you are.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:16 am 

scottcoz wrote:
Hey Dale - are you gonna make it back for SciFi this year? It'd be great to see you again... and, Keith, too, will probably attend if you are.

Not now, but soon. Major Life Changes have kept me away since 2012, but if all goes well I am currently on target to make my triumphant return to the state of Ohio for this autumn's Horror Marathon. Crossing fingers.
Feels good to be missed, though. That's one of the things that keeps me coming back, I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:07 pm 

No comments on the films and the events and presenters at the Marathon, my Ohio quintet?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:20 pm 
Site Admin

L.A. Connection wrote:
No comments on the films and the events and presenters at the Marathon, my Ohio quintet?

I had an odd time this year, mostly because I'd seen all but one item in this lineup (the premiere), multiple times and multiple times with Marathoids in most cases.

Going in I was actually most excited about seeing MOONRAKER and BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA on the big screen. That led to a very ... interesting mindset. Given that almost half of the marathon was borderline Sci-Fi at best, I feel a bit reluctant to go into a lengthy commentary.

Don't get me wrong, 2001 in 70mm is always fantastic, CALIGARI did indeed have phenomenal musical accompaniment, and the rest of the lineup was genuinely good, even the premiere. The classics were well chosen. But by the time I got to IRON GIANT I realized that I really just kinda wanted to go back to the hotel and sleep.

And for what it's worth, I love BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA. It's Carpenter not taking himself too seriously for once, and the camp styling, genre parody, and ridiculous jokes set just the right tone. Plus he has more than three notes in his score, which may be a first for him.

Anyway, thoroughly enjoyed the time I was there, just had trouble fitting into the groove. Could have been the weather. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:22 pm 

VitruvianZeke wrote:
I had an odd time this year, mostly because I'd seen all but one item in this lineup (the premiere), multiple times and multiple times with Marathoids in most cases...

...by the time I got to IRON GIANT I realized that I really just kinda wanted to go back to the hotel and sleep...

...Anyway, thoroughly enjoyed the time I was there, just had trouble fitting into the groove. Could have been the weather. :)

-- I agree with the criticism about have 4 out of 11 movies being marginal SF. Believe me, behind the scenes there were discussions. Still, there were so many greats, that the imbalance wasn't as undermining as it would have been with a bunch of lightweights.

-- The reason that we had a core of repeats this year, was that it was the big 40th Anniversary, and we wanted to mark that milestone - how many cultural events last even half that length of time?? And, it's hard to quibble with 2001 (in 70mm), DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL, THEM! & IRON GIANT, isn't it? (the addition of THIS ISLAND EARTH was because it was the very 1st film at the very 1st marathon, but, yes, three 50s films was too much).

-- I had the opposite reaction to the 'weather' issue. Because of the difficulties so many had to just get to the theater, it made for a very very hearty crowd. We were survivors and we weren't going to let anything stop us! I'm not saying that having looooooooong time Marathoners like Major Tom and over a 100 others who couldn't attend didn't sting, but it was a very enthusiastic band of brothers. I'm happy the Ohio 5 were among them.