The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:46 pm 

pogo wrote:
LA,
The FESTIVAL starts tomorrow. Can you say anything about it?
In better weather I would be there. It actually sounds much more interesting than does the Marathon.

I'm in L.A. myself, and have only been to a couple of festival events. Check the messageboard ( http://sf.theboard.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl )and the https://www.facebook.com/BostonSciFi page for folks who live in town and can make it for their views.

VitruvianZeke wrote:
L.A. Connection wrote:
there will be Live Music to accompany the restored copy of CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI! (details tba).

Hmmm. I thought the restored score was one of the big deals for this version. Not that I'm saying it's a better option, but it was one of the things I was curious to see. Er, well, to hear I guess.

Really? You're going to quibble with have live music on stage? And, the restored music is available on DVD for one to compare and contrast at home. We've done live music several times in Boston, and it's always one of the highlights of the show.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:09 pm 

Yeah, I thought the live music that we had in Columbus when Caligari played a few years ago was great. Definitely a highlight of the marathon.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

L.A. Connection wrote:
pogo wrote:
Really? You're going to quibble with have live music on stage? And, the restored music is available on DVD for one to compare and contrast at home.

We've done it in Columbus, too. We've done it with CALAGARI, in fact. And yes, if I want to hear the "big deal original score reproduced for the restoration" I can always get the DVD.

But since it's being touted as one of the big selling points of the restoration, forgive my impertinence at suggesting we might be missing something by tossing it out the window. Just saying.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:42 am 

VitruvianZeke wrote:
L.A. Connection wrote:
pogo wrote:
Really? You're going to quibble with have live music on stage? And, the restored music is available on DVD for one to compare and contrast at home.

We've done it in Columbus, too. We've done it with CALAGARI, in fact. And yes, if I want to hear the "big deal original score reproduced for the restoration" I can always get the DVD.

But since it's being touted as one of the big selling points of the restoration, forgive my impertinence at suggesting we might be missing something by tossing it out the window. Just saying.

I gotta go with Zeke here. You never know what you're going to get with live accompaniment... I've had AWESOME experiences with that (eg. seeing Koyaanisqatsi with Philip Glass there, performing the score live!), and also been let down. So, MAYBE it will be awesome this time... but, maybe it won't. Don't want to get terribly excited about it, only to be let down. If they do a great job, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Meh - maybe I'm just jaded. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:08 am 

You gotta be proud of what you've got. Zeke, Scott & LA are all correct.

Having a new, quality sound track attached to a classic is a beautiful thing and is certainly not to be sneered at.
But I have a sticker on my car, "Live Music Is Better."
Scott is also to the point, who's playing certainly makes a difference. However locales with a quality music community produce quality products. I am lucky to live in an area that has the Cleve. Inst. of Music, the Orchestra, lots of trad. musicians and also attracts traveling ensembles. The 5 or so live music accompaniments to films that I have heard have all been fantastic.
And as much as I can toot the Cleveland horn, Boston 's music culture is even denser. And their Thon production team, I am sure, have a quality ensemble which (to hazard a guess) may be behind their even deciding to show Caligari.
And Caligari will be around for another century. With its soundtrack. Enjoy Boston's effort.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:13 am 

I kind of feel like we're jumping on Zeke here. After all, he freely said that he's enjoyed the live accompaniment in the past.

I agree with his point that, considering the restored soundtrack has been one of the featured points about this restoration, choosing to omit it in favor of live accompaniment is a slightly curious choice. He wasn't bashing the choice, just saying "Huh. That's surprising."

No one is saying live accompaniment is bad. No one is saying that the restored soundtrack would be better. Just that when it's a featured part of the restoration and you choose to remove it, the question of "Why?" is worth asking.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:54 am 

AE,
Well said.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:58 am 

The main thing that I'm wondering about, at this point, is why has there been more discussion about the Boston marathon, than our OWN? I'm going to go post in that other thread now! :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:54 am 
Site Admin

AEinhorn wrote:
No one is saying live accompaniment is bad. No one is saying that the restored soundtrack would be better. Just that when it's a featured part of the restoration and you choose to remove it, the question of "Why?" is worth asking.

Thanks, Aaron ... that was really the only point that I was trying (and failing) to make. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:13 pm 

Boston weather prediction:
28 degrees tomorrow. 3 inches of snow.
Sunday (first day of the Marathon.) 22 degrees (-3 overnight) Blizzard w. 3-5 inches of snow.
Monday 16 degrees (2 overnight) Sunny.
This on top of several feet of snow.
They've already had to reschedule showings at the Festival.
A probable parking ban and possibly the MBTA closed Sunday.
The Boston Board is not happy.
Good luck Dave the Z, Joey the N, Brucie the B, and a few other longtime Columbus co-conspirators.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:05 am 

We're all here, safe and sound.

Yea, the trains and buses aren't running, but we'll be ok. We'll just drive there, and find somewhere nearby to park - on the appropriate side of the street, of course. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:23 am 

So how was it?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:45 pm 

More later, but, YES, the Marathon went on despite the Blizzard. Our three Ohio emissaries, Bruce, Jeff Neff and Zeke all made it safe and sound. We lost about 150 people overall from our usual number, but still had about 300+. We started at 4pm as opposed to the normal Noon start to help people shovel out and get there (public transportation was closed).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:05 pm 

The reviews are starting to float in on the Boston board, including from Joey the N.http://sf.theboard.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1424131899
Scroll down.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:01 pm 

L.A. Connection wrote:
Our three Ohio emissaries, Bruce, Jeff Neff and Zeke all made it safe and sound.

Heyyyy... THREE Ohio emissaries? I realize JC and I are schmucks, not dignitaries like Bruce, JOE (spelling corrected), and Zeke, but there were actually FIVE Ohio emissaries, thank you!

Last edited by scottcoz on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next