The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:56 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, as with last year's Horror Marathon, we'll be rolling out this year's film lineup for SF32 on the
Ohio Marathons Facebook page (right here)this Thursday at 7pm! Join us for all the Marathon-related dementia that you can handle!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:02 am 

Joe Neff wrote:
Yep, as with last year's Horror Marathon, we'll be rolling out this year's film lineup for SF32 on the
Ohio Marathons Facebook page (right here)this Thursday at 7pm! Join us for all the Marathon-related dementia that you can handle!

SWEET!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:23 am 

THANK YOU JESUS!!!
Er - Joe.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:17 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:

I think you should give the Die Hards in the Forum a few hints at the various titles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:25 pm 

Ghost wrote:
I think you should give the Die Hards in the Forum a few hints at the various titles

Now, do you mean "Real hints that a normal human being might have a chance of guessing at?" or "Joe 'Hints' that involve telling us a different film that the Key Assistant Grip did a decade before from which we're supposed to guess"?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

You guys and yer demands! Sheesh! And hey, Key Assistant Grips need all the love that they can get.

We're only 25.5 hours away from the rollout, so I'll just say this:

-For the second straight year, we have a theme. Which might be a record for a Columbus Marathon. It's a bit broader than last year's FUTURE SHOCK theme, but it should still be good.

-7 of the 11 films in the lineup have never played at a Columbus Marathon.

-2 of those 7 first timers are area premieres.

-As always, there are a few outright beloved, revered, worshipped classics, all in brand new DCP formats! And none of these classics has played a Columbus Marathon since the '90s.

-We have 3 rare 35mm screenings.

-One film in the lineup is one of my all-time, Top 5 favorites. And it's probably my favorite Sci-Fi film. Not that its booking is a Joe Neff Vanity Project (copyright 2015). But I'm still happy to see it again.

-And.....yeah, that's all you get for now. But don't worry: we're almost there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:05 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
-For the second straight year, we have a theme. Which might be a record for a Columbus Marathon. It's a bit broader than last year's FUTURE SHOCK theme, but it should still be good.

-As always, there are a few outright beloved, revered, worshipped classics, all in brand new DCP formats! And none of these classics has played a Columbus Marathon since the '90s.

-We have 3 rare 35mm screenings.

-One film in the lineup is one of my all-time, Top 5 favorites. And it's probably my favorite Sci-Fi film. Not that its booking is a Joe Neff Vanity Project (copyright 2015). But I'm still happy to see it again.

-And.....yeah, that's all you get for now. But don't worry: we're almost there.

Great news! Can't wait!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:21 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
-One film in the lineup is one of my all-time, Top 5 favorites. And it's probably my favorite Sci-Fi film.

Ok so we know One of the films is The Last Starfighter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:48 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:

Sounds good.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

Ghost wrote:
Joe Neff wrote:
-One film in the lineup is one of my all-time, Top 5 favorites. And it's probably my favorite Sci-Fi film.
Ok so we know One of the films is The Last Starfighter
Wait a second, Joe, you didn't tell me you had booked MOTIVATIONAL GROWTH!

You've been holding out on me. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:08 pm 

And here I thought that he was talking about the unexpurgated version of Zardoz.
No. Wait. Wasn't that was your fave , Dave?

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:09 pm 

First up, it's a new DCP of one of the great Sci-Fi films of the 1960's. Director Roger Vadim brings one of the legendary sexy French comics to life, with his then-missus playing the dynamic title role in BARBARELLA! It's va va voom all the way, as Barbarella explores the outer reaches of the galaxy, searching for adventure and love. A great supporting cast includes David Hemmings, John Phillip Law, Anita Pallenberg, Milo O'Shea, and Marcel Marceau(!) In stunning 2K DCP Panavision! And for the first time at a Columbus Marathon since 1997!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:10 pm 

Did we say modish '60s action and allure? Well travel with us to Italy as we indulge in a rarely screened work of period fun with the rarely screened THE 10th VICTIM! Master Italian satirist Elio Petri directs the great Marcello Mastroianni and luscious Bond girl Ursula Andress in a story of a futuristic society where war is replaced by dangerous members of society fighting in The Big Hunt, the most popular form of entertainment. You can see how influential this became. Tons of decadent production design and costume work in this underseen gem

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:14 pm 

But wait, beautiful women who kick ass? Well hey, who wouldn't complain about adding the steely, luminous Scarlett Johannson to that list? Yep, it's Luc Besson's wildly entertaining LUCY! This visually bombastic essay in feminist action is tremendous fun, an assault on the sense, and quite possibly the perfect wake me up at 4am, just when the Marathoid's synapses are getting a bit crunchy. In 2K DCP Panavision!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:17 pm 

Okay, so we've lead off with some kickass heroines. But no salute to women in Sci-Fi would be complete without a look back at the 1950's, when feminist power was juuuuuust a bit more threatening to mainstream America. Thus a slew of great "Females Attack" films, including our selection, an ultra-rare 35mm screening of Roger Corman's camp classis THE WASP WOMAN! The subtext writes itself. A Marathon first!