The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:19 pm 

Nobody has started this, so here goes.

Quite the lineup, I must say.

My only quibble is showing two ALIEN films. I know Ohio has done this before, but, eh. And, I don't get the love for bringing back the mediocre HARDWARE a 2nd time.

Good lineup, overall. It is tempting.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:38 pm 

Already some discussion on the Film Lineup topic below, but perhaps "Discussion" does deserve it's own narrower thread.

Anyway, lazily reposting what I said there, with additions - - -
Three films that will be in the top ten SF of all time on the posting board countdown, (well two share a slot.) My favorite silly SF movie. The one recent SF movie I wanted to see, but haven't gotten around to. Three interesting newbies (I looked them up) and several others that look perfectly fine. More than not bad, Impressive!
And Barbarella to sleep through!!!

I would add that this list looks a lot better than that of the longer and older Cleveland Marathon.
And although I crabbed last year about the preponderance of movies whose theme seemed to be violence, I do not have the same objection here.
Perhaps it is that the acting and general quality of these films is significantly superior and the extreme violence of some is integrated into better stories with better scripts, acting & direction into overall superior films. That's the idea right?
And the kick ass women theme is pretty damn cool.

I do hope that the order is not as announced. I would prefer Alien early and Aliens late.
And of course Barbarella in the middle of the night so that I can enjoy my nap when it is most needed.

edit: I do like the theme but I find it amusing that not a single one of the suggestions made on that thread showed up on this year's list. And only one of the more than 200 listed in last years suggestions.
And that one is Barbarella. :roll:

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:28 am 
Site Admin

pogo wrote:
I do like the theme but I find it amusing that not a single one of the suggestions made on that thread showed up on this year's list. And only one of the more than 200 listed in last years suggestions.
And that one is Barbarella. :roll:

Booking the Marathons is a pretty complex process, one which I addressed in part in the newest Marathon Chat (which you can find here). A lot of my relevant thoughts on the subject are also in this thread from last year.

But aside from that, the suggestions thread is always an odd bird in the grand process. Oftentimes, these threads have A LOT of titles thrown out. But not everyone posting these titles knows about the availability (or lack thereof) of those titles. Many of them are on DVD, but as long as we're committed to 35mm or DCP as the first options, things will be a bit more difficult.

We also tend to get a good amount of suggestions for films that have already played in recent years. And there are some titles mentioned that we have plans for in the future. For instance, we REALLY want to do a proper Time Travel Marathon, one to make up for the somewhat compromised one from 1999. So we've been holding off on screening most time travel-related films until then.

And one other factor that's in play is the booking of films that people might not know that they'll enjoy yet. In the run-up to the 2012 SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK, no one was clamoring for us to screen POSSESSION. But we booked it, and it turned out to be one of the most memorable titles of that Marathon. NIGHT OF 1000 CATS wasn't mentioned much before we booked it in 2013, but we were assured by a programmer friend of ours that it played like gangbusters at his event. And so it did in Columbus.

Which doesn't mean that the suggestions threads are meaningless, 'cause we keep a keen eye on them. But they're only one part of the whole Marathon programming shebang.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:50 pm 

Thanks Joe. I really was not criticizing. I was not making it up when I said that I was amused. I actually chuckled when I went back & looked at the two suggestions threads.
And because (for me) the lineup with its choices and its theme is far superior to anything that you might have gleaned from the other threads, I am glad that you looked and went elsewhere.
Of course your choices are determined by availability. And I am glad that you decided to blow a wad on Lucy to provide the diversity of something recent. It must cost as much as a good part of the rest of the list combined.
What 's the hit rate for finding films that you want to show? Are many picks determined by suddenly finding a print that some collector or archive possesses?
Process would be interesting to a lot of us and I am sure that everybody here would promise to not tell anyone your and your colleagues secrets.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:17 pm 
Site Admin

pogo wrote:
Of course your choices are determined by availability. And I am glad that you decided to blow a wad on Lucy to provide the diversity of something recent. It must cost as much as a good part of the rest of the list combined.

Actually, LUCY costs about as much to screen as something like ALIEN, although that rule doesn't always apply. But DCPs of new films, in particular, usually aren't too much of a financial burden. For the most part, the cost of booking new and old films comes down to the individual studio. Some have very affordable rental costs, some charge relatively exorbitant rentals, and some have very specific (and sometimes odd) requirements for screenings. It's what makes film programming so fun...and frustrating.

pogo wrote:
What 's the hit rate for finding films that you want to show? Are many picks determined by suddenly finding a print that some collector or archive possesses?
Process would be interesting to a lot of us and I am sure that everybody here would promise to not tell anyone your and your colleagues secrets.

A good question. The hit rate for films we want to show can very wildly, many times depending on which studio or source we're dealing with. As I mentioned on the newest Marathon Chat, the collector market for 35mm prints is fairly strong these days. And more studios than in the past are willing to authorize screenings of collector prints (although at least one or two majors still hold out.) But screenings those collector prints involves paying a clearance fee to the studio (which usually isn't at a discount from a regular repertory rental), a fee to the collector, and shipping for the print. Sometimes that can be fairly affordable. Sometimes, it can cost a good chunk of change. For instance, when we screened THE MANITOU at last year's Horror Marathon, our only print source was the 35mm private print we used, which we also had to clear through its rights holder. The total cost, with shipping, was around $500. The crowd loved it, so it was worth the cost. But choosing to book a film like that will always have an impact on what we spend on the rest of the lineup.

In terms of the process and print/DCP sources that suddenly show up, yeah we often take that into account. I mentioned Zulawski's POSSESSION before, but in 2012, our good friend Brian Block spearheaded the restoration of the uncut version of that film. We knew that it would be something strange and worthwhile that most of our audience hadn't seen before, and being able to show it well in advance of the new Blu-Ray release (which is REALLY nice, by the way) immediately sold us. When news came down that Warner Bros. once again had the rights to distribute BLADE RUNNER (they'd been suspended for a few years due to legal wranglings), the knowledge that, for the time being, those rights are seemingly on a limited contract went a long way toward swaying us toward choosing it for this year's Sci-Fi. When we learned about the only known 35mm print of THE HITCHER touring the U.S. in 2011, we jumped at the opportunity to show it at the Horror Marathon.

So yeah, programming these things can be a very complicated process. Hopefully, the hit rate is consistently strong enough to make it worthwhile for the audience.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:18 am 

Looking at the lineup, just wanted to point out - - -
13th Victim - Ursula Andress (being sexist, in our youth we referred to her as Ursula Undress) But I've seen the movie. She's a definate kick ass.
Lucy in Lucy. You've seen the promos. How could I overstate.
Wasp Woman. She ain't kick ass, she's venomous.
Jill in Hardware. Look it up. Tough stuff.
Callie in Time Lapse. Again, look it up. Nobody's shrinking violet. In fact she is the real mover & shaker in the piece.
Shadows on the Wall. My one failure. A little too obscure for a good write up. Woman? Probably.
Daryl Hannah. Blade Runner. Don't let those legs get around your anything.
Geena Davis. Earth Girls Are Easy. She ain't really violent unless you are furniture. But as strong as any of the violent kick ass ladies. Enjoy.
And Ripley in both Aliens. So strong that she has become the paragon of the theme.
Even though the ability to commit violence does not define strength, in these films it is part of the superior quality of the women presented. And their power.
Oh. Barbarella. In my youth I would say that she was part of sleeping happily. Now? Still planning to sleep, but she does express her abilities.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:30 am 

No way I'm sleeping through Barbarella - it's one of the highlights of the lineup for me! I even named my cat Barbarella! :)

Love!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:07 pm 

Scott,
I promise to respect your choices.
Provided that you don't draw smiley faces on me when I am asleep.
My daughter had a hamster named Podkayne (you can look it up). She didn't read the book I gave her, but she liked the name.
I had a dog named Ridley (until she became "Beast").
So again. Respect your choices.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:53 pm 

scottcoz wrote:
No way I'm sleeping through Barbarella - it's one of the highlights of the lineup for me! I even named my cat Barbarella! :)

Love!

One of my FB friends posted this today with the caption: BARBARELLA Age 75

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:15 am 

Jane must still be doing those exercises she used to be so famous for. :)

Heh - anyway... my .02 on the line-up:
I'm pretty thrilled with it:
- 4 films I haven't seen (Wasp Woman, 10th Victim, Time Lapse, and Shadows on the Wall) - to me, that's awesome - I always like to see more than just 2 new films ("new" as in, new to ME - not necessarily premieres)
- Always up for Bladerunner and Barbarella (LOVE!) again - classics that I've actually only seen a couple times
- Alien, and Aliens... even though I've seen both of these films more times than I can count, it'll be great fun to see them at the same event, and with the marathon crowd
- Hardware - haven't seen this since it played at a marathon in 1991, but I remember liking it
- Earth Girls Are Easy is the weak point for me... never have been much of a fan of this one - seems like it was pretty much a vanity project for Julie Brown (this is the one I'll sleep through)
- I'm kind of Meh on Lucy, just because I saw it last year and didn't think it was that strong of a film... but, it might grow on me after repeated viewing, like The Fifth Element.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:58 pm 

All of the titles in the lineup are FANTASTIC, but as for MY favorite....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:17 pm 

any guesses on the schedule?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:09 pm 
Site Admin

As Bruce mentioned in a separate thread, the schedule is coming soon. At this point, we're pretty sure that ALIEN and ALIENS will bookend the Marathon, with BLADE RUNNER likely playing in the middle. Still a few tweaks to apply here and there before we go final.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:30 pm 

My educated guess would be the two premieres, BARBARELLA and THE WASP WOMAN in the first half of the lineup following ALIEN. BLADE RUNNER either in Prime Time or around midnight. Then EARTH GIRLS ARE EASY, HARDWARE, DOCTOR WHO and LUCY rounding out the back nine before closing with ALIENS. THE 10th VICTIM would have been a wild card, but without it, everything else falls pretty logically into place.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:50 pm 

Thanks, Joe, for getting this thread back on track! :)

On that topic - funny we were just talking about Jane Fonda's workout tape in the 80's, and then I came across this:
https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/my-magical ... 64071.html

Love!