The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:25 pm 

Now that cholesterol is no longer bad for you (see link below) what extremly greasy, deep fried slice of heaven will you be dinning on at this years Sci-Fi Marathon without worrying about your arteries hardening?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/fayeflam/2015/02/12/why-eggs-and-other-cholesterol-laden-foods-pose-little-or-no-health-risk/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:13 am 

I doubt my diet will change much - I've never paid that much attention to that, anyways, even though I kept telling myself I should. :) Now I just won't have to feel as guilty.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:18 am 

I'll just stick to my organic, macrobiotic, vegan, gluten free, non-gmo, soy based, snacks.
Unless of course someone wants to go out for a - - -

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:00 pm 

Speaking of food.
I assume that the same food rules are in place this year as have been in the past, eg no outside food or drink.
So. Any knowledge of what this year's inside the theater menu might be? I feel some obligation to patronize the place, but not at the expense of my digestion.

Any walkably distant decent places to eat?
Last year went with friends to a okay, but not overpowering place, 2 1/2 blocks east of the theater, on the same side of the street. (Name unknown.)

Previous year it was trips to the car for sandwiches.

Suggestions?

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:32 pm 

With cholesterol not a problem, this would be the perfect time to include Castlebury's on the menu.

PS... There's a COSI restaurant by the police station. They have salads, wraps, sandwiches and pretty good stuff there. Good for a balance to the junk food at the snack bar. :-)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:34 pm 
Site Admin

While we strongly encourage you to patronize the concession stand during the Marathon (it is how they make the bulk of their profits), we try not to be too draconian in the outside food and drink policy. Yeah, you can't bring in a cooler like in the old Drexel North days, but we also won't be checking your bags or making you drink your coffee before you enter the theater. As in the past few years, the theater continues to try to provide extra food options during the event. Not sure about the specifics right now, but we're having a meeting this week, so hopefully I can update you all then.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:10 pm 

Is the crepe place next door still there? I remember that they had an arrangement with the Drexel last year to allow you to bring their crepes in (which as someone who eats gluten-free, I really appreciated, since they had GF crepes).

Man, I miss having the Radio Cafe there....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

Last I checked, the crepe join was still in business.

And yeah, the loss of the Radio Cafe was a bummer. Especially since we've managed to right the ship with the event itself in so many other ways.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:28 pm 

My wife and I always try to slip down to the Rusty Bucket for a "real meal" some time before it gets too late. It's a block or so past the COSI. Similar to Roosters, Max & Erma's, Champs, etc...serves a pretty good menu. Good place to eat when want food, but are burned out from too much concession stand popcorn, hot dogs, and soda.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:55 am 

I try to get just one bottomless cup each year. Last year, I got the bottomless soft drink because I didn't find out about the coffee until hours after I bought my cup. I'd rather have coffee. Will that be an option this year?