The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Half Marathon?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:14 am 

Is there any chance that a second screen at the Drexel could show a "Best Of" Half Marathon for those of us that don't have the time or endurance to handle the full marathon?

This is one of the best lineups the marathon has had in years but there are a few factors that make me hesitant to go. If a half marathon could be thrown together starting at noon on Saturday showing Blade Runner, Alien, Aliens and maybe Earth Girls Are Easy plus some filler I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Post subject: Re: Half Marathon?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:40 am 

In years past, they have done a half-marathon, although it was from midnight-noon.

I believe it was not well-enough attended to be worth continuing.

Taking over a second screen inside the Drexel for their entire operating day on Saturday is probably outside the realm of possibility - at least until such time as we are regularly selling out the entire main theater.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:41 am 
Site Admin

Aaron nailed it here. We're already taking over the Drexel's main house on a Saturday, so taking another one isn't really an option.

And although there have been several stabs at a Nite Flight half Marathon in the past, the attendance has always been very sparse. Even the first attempt in 1993, when the Drexel North was sold out in advance and a half Marathon was scheduled for that night in Bexley, there were only a handful of people who showed up (and they were allowed to go to the North and check out the second half of the main event, when a decent chunk of folks had already left.)

I'm not sure if it does you any good, but a regular ticket gives you the option of coming and going as you please. So theoretically, you could still catch part of the event, or just the films that you want to see.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:48 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
I'm not sure if it does you any good, but a regular ticket gives you the option of coming and going as you please. So theoretically, you could still catch part of the event, or just the films that you want to see.

Depending on when the A-list films are scheduled that could work. Based on previous marathons I doubt I would be lucky enough to have Blade Runner, Alien and Aliens to play consecutively lol. If they're spread out all over the place it's hard to justify the expense or time.

Thanks for the reply Joe.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:58 pm 
Site Admin

We should have a reasonably reliable schedule posted here in a few days which may help with your decision. Keep watching the skies….

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:06 pm 

movieshateyoutoo wrote:
Depending on when the A-list films are scheduled that could work. Based on previous marathons I doubt I would be lucky enough to have Blade Runner, Alien and Aliens to play consecutively lol. If they're spread out all over the place it's hard to justify the expense or time.

If Alien and Aliens are at the start and finish of the marathon, I think the idea would be to show up at the beginning, stick around until 8 or 10 or midnight or 2am (or whenever the schedule gives you a good spot to leave), go home and get some sleep in your own bed, and then come back the following morning for the final movie or two or three.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:02 pm 

Back in my younger days (before I started bringing my kids who insist on staying the entire time, oh my aching 43-year-old body), I did the whole go-home-and-grab-some-sleep-then-come-back route. It's not bad at all, especially if you want to be fresh for the final movie or two.