The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:04 pm 

Tom and Jerry would have been better if it hadn't made my ears bleed.

I LOVE serials. The Batman ones last year were AWESOME. MORE SERIALS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:25 pm 

Quote:
I LOVE serials. The Batman ones last year were AWESOME. MORE SERIALS!

I totally respect your opinion, but I happen to hold the opposite. I'm not a fan of serials. Maybe one or two episodes, but I fee that they just eat up too much running time. The only serial that I have really ever truely enjoyed was the Batman serials.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:33 pm 

I'd say it's just a matter of finding the right serials.

With stuff on the level of quality of the Batman serials last year, or the first Flash Gordon serial this year, I'd be perfectly happy to give up one of the lesser features in order to fit in 3-4 of these, spread throughout the Marathon. Especially if they fit in with one of the movies being shown, as those did. Stylistically at least, if not a direct franchise tie.

With stuff more on-par with the second Flash Gordon serial (actually a TV episode I believe), or some of the random rocketship serials shown in the past, I'd say pass and give me another movie.

It's all subjective I suppose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:42 pm 

The Captain Marvel ones from a few years ago were PRICELESS.

"I LOOK FAAAABULOUUUS!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:15 pm 

I like the serials. I wouldn't mind if the serials reduced the number of movies by one or two. But then, it does depend on which serials and which movies. Flash Gordon serials are better than Automatons or Mindwarp in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:23 pm 

I would gladly give up one film for serials. Not every year, mind you, but once in a while, like when they did Batman. The one rule I would like is that we see the first and the last installment, especially the last. The middle ones we can get a few of here and there, but I'm a little O/C and like to know how things wrap up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:08 pm 

Dennis wrote:
I would gladly give up one film for serials. Not every year, mind you, but once in a while, like when they did Batman. The one rule I would like is that we see the first and the last installment, especially the last. The middle ones we can get a few of here and there, but I'm a little O/C and like to know how things wrap up.

FWIW, Batman/Flash Gordon/Captain Marvel always win out in the end - so no O/C worries needed ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:48 am 

Terry wrote:
I like the serials. I wouldn't mind if the serials reduced the number of movies by one or two. But then, it does depend on which serials and which movies. Flash Gordon serials are better than Automatons or Mindwarp in my opinion.

BLASPHEMY!

I will continue my campaign of revisionist history to lead people to believe that Automatons is a great movie.

I vote for "Incredibly Slow Murderous Robot" or "Preachy Old Man" for the HoF next year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:36 pm 

I quite enjoyed that Flash Gordon serial this year, and I really liked the Batman serials last year. I hope we get more good serials next year. Heck, I'd gladly take another episode or two of the old Flash Gordon one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:57 pm 

Mr. E. wrote:
As for the quality/format of Gravity, weren't we presented with a nice, clean print by the creators when they were our special guests a few years back (one of the Riffe Center years)?

I asked about why we weren't seeing the print anymore on the old forum after seeing the poor quality of the transfer last year. It seems that The Gateway doesn't have the proper projector for the format that the print is on. I suggest that either we take a collection at the next marathon to buy our own projector, or if that won't work, we should at least see if we can get it transfered to another film format that they can play.