The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:39 pm 

Yeah! I seen that episode! I notice that so many episodes of The Twilight Zone have similarities with certain movies, like this one that resembles Final Destination, another one that is similar to Poltergeist, and another one that is reminiscent of I Am Legend.

Last edited by HorrorTriviaMaster on Tue May 19, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:08 am 

I googled around to see if there was a Twilight Zone episode based on the original Matheson I Am Legend novel. Couldn't find one. The revival series had a vamp episode, but that was of course after Legend.
Matheson himself wrote sixteen of the original series episodes including Steel, later adapted into the movie Real Steel.
Looking at descriptions, the Matheson episodes include many of my favorites from the original series. I know its off topic, but look at this link.
http://www.blastr.com/2013-6-25/remember-richard-matheson-watching-16-classic-twilight-zone-eps-free.
If you liked the original series it'll be fun.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:11 am 
Site Admin

HorrorTriviaMaster wrote:
Yeah! I seen that episode! I notice that so many episodes of The Twilight Zone have similarities with certain movies, like this one that resembles Final Destination, another one that is similar to Poltergeist, and another one that reminiscent of I Am Legend.

I'd had a few reservations going in that this was just going to be a rehash of that particular TWILIGHT ZONE episode, but I was genuinely impressed by where they took it.

Also, in case anyone was wondering, "Hey, was that picture of the Mr. Bezzerides actually the infamous John Rhys-Davies?" Why yes, it was ... and there's a good deleted scene that proves it ...

http://io9.com/brighten-your-day-by-watching-john-rhys-davies-invent-a-1704253587

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:24 pm 

pogo wrote:
I googled around to see if there was a Twilight Zone episode based on the original Matheson I Am Legend novel. Couldn't find one.

I should have said that there are a few episodes that remind me of I Am Legend, where people are alone after apocalyptic events:
Time Enough at Last
Two
One More Pallbearer

Warning: long message
I don't mean to get off topic, but I just wanted to say
The Twilight Zone was a social commentary on the past, the present and the future concerning humanity, love, hate, greed, beauty, prejudice and so many other things that never came off in a preachy way, but rather a very fun, thrilling way, with science fiction and sometimes horror. Some episodes were good humored, some were scary, and some were just downright sad. Rod Serling hosted this wonderful, groundbreaking show for a long time. The Twilight Zone was a fun escape from reality with surrealism, showing off stars before they were really famous, such as Robert Redford, Martin Landau, Charles Bronson, and many others. The black and white appearance even helped to express the bleak, sad or otherwise hopeless situations of certain characters in some of the episodes. Once, I seen an episode of The Twilight Zone which has affected me more than any other episode. It's the saddest, most depressing episode of any show I have ever seen. The episode is titled "Number 12 Looks Just Like You". It takes place in the far future where a teenage girl, Marilyn, is encouraged by society to undergo a transformation to look like so many other women, losing all individuality not only in her appearance, but also in thoughts and feelings with a drink called "Instant Smile", effectively turning her into a mindless puppet. Despite Marilyn's attempt to flee, she is captured and transformed into a clone of tons of other women, entirely against her will. In that sense, Marilyn is "raped" by social norms. It is so terribly sad, because she never wanted it to happen to her. I am SO GLAD that I am who I am, and not a clone. It brings to mind "The Stepford Wives", "Disturbing Behavior" and the blonde bimbos on the show "The Oblongs", called "the Debbie's". To quote the movie The Incredibles:
"When EVERYONE is a Super, NO ONE will be."

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:37 pm 

Excellent commentary HorrorM.
I would emphasize a piece of your statement. Not only did Twilight Zone deal with prejudice, greed etc, but in many of the episodes it dealt with issues like racism, McCarthyism, militarism, etc. that were blocked from direct treatments in the media. Putting them into a fantasy/SF milieu got them on the air when they were blocked from direct treatment.
And for each of the stars you mentioned you could add tons of others. Buster Keaton, Art Carney, Keenan Wynn, Martin Balsam, Robert Duvall, Richard Kiel, Cloris Leachman, Lee Marvin, Leonard Nimoy, Robby The Robot, and pretty much every mid-level actor in Hollywood, including of course the old pooperoo, William Shatner.
I can't single out specific episodes. Look at the Matheson list. Browse the Internet. All of them are available on pay services and most cities have them on free broadcast oldies stations.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:45 am 

The Twilight Zone comes on Monday through Friday on MeTV (channel 4.2). It's always the highlight of my day. :D I get real excited when it comes on.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:09 pm 

was there ever a list posted of all the music videos/shorts/etc played in between the movies this year?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:49 am 
Site Admin

I haven't really had time to circle back around and post it. No real excuse except to say that I wanted to talk to Bruce and Joe about what Joe's planning for Horror and think about some changes to the format/content for next year. This year was a bit of an experiment and I'm not sure it worked as well as I'd hoped.