The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:12 pm 
Site Admin

Too tired to post anything here right now, but feel free to get this party started. :)

Just a few quick notes for anyone who might be wondering ... I do have a fairly large number of pictures which I'll try to get uploaded to the Archives tonight (and I'll post a link when they're ready.)

I will say, very briefly, that this was one of the best marathons in the past decade across the board. Audience energy was incredibly strong, the films were definitely very well appreciated, and we had a record number of people stay till the end. I'll post more detailed "Thanks!" later, but to everyone involved and everyone who attended, excellent job!

More to come, including a look at the event details ... when time permits. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:28 am 

My full post can be found here, complete with trailers and lots of posters.

Here's the stripped down version (fair warning, I write my blog site for people who may not know everything about the marathon. I tried to pull out expository bits from the blog post, but may've left a few):

Nice, solid line-up with two premieres, three legitimate sci-fi classics, some serious goofy cheese, and at least one film from before 1960. I knew going in to the event that either BARBARELLA or SHADOWS ON THE WALL would be sacrificed to the gods of getting a solid dinner consumed, but overall, it was a line-up I was really looking forward to.

ALIEN
I admire its purity. A survivor… unclouded by conscience, remorse or delusions of morality. - Ash

To a modern audience, it is astonishing how much time this film takes to simply let the action breathe. There is a ton of gorgeous cinematography at work here, from shots of the Nostromo, to views of the alien planet, to extended views of the Space Jockey. To be sure, there are elements in this film that don’t work as well with the passage of time. The “computers of the future” are incredibly dated, for one thing, and some of the puppetry and suit effects for the xenomorph (not ever called that in the film) are showing their age.

But who cares? The tension in this film is tangible, and the adrenaline surges when the alien does actually attack leave your heart racing. The performances hold up as 100% authentic, and the design work looks lifted straight from the page of HR Geiger.

There is a reason that ALIEN routinely makes “Top Whatever” lists for both science fiction <em>and</em> horror. It’s probably been close to a decade since I saw this movie, but I will not go that long without watching it again. Even better, since it is featured on The Great Movie Ride at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Mira is interested in watching it. I’m not sure if it might not be too scary for her, but I’m willing to give it a try.

DR WHO AND THE DALEKS
Destroy. The. Thalls! - Daleks

I’m a fairly serious recent Whovian. I’ve been aware of DOCTOR WHO my entire life, but never really got in to the classic series. I watched the Fox/BBC TV “Event” with the Eighth Doctor, and enjoyed it enough at the time that if it had gone to series, I probably would have stuck with it, but, of course, it didn’t.

Instead, I got involved with the Doctor starting with Christopher Eccelston in 2005, and have been a loyal fan since then. I’ve gone back and watched a handful of older DOCTOR WHO serials, and have listened to a lot of the radio dramas starring the former Doctors, but had never ventured over to the American film starring Peter Cushing. So, I was looking forward to checking it out.

I was unprepared for a Doctor who was pretty much completely ineffectual, not an alien, and actually named Doctor Who. But that didn’t keep me from being amused at the film. Quite probably I wasn’t amused in the ways that the film intended – in fact, I was more annoyed than amused by Ian’s ineffectiveness – but I still managed to smile through most of the movie (although the mountain climbing scene was more exhausting to watch than it would have been to actually climb a mountain). I won’t be rushing out to see this again, but as a fan of the Doctor, I’m glad to have seen it once.

Daleks manage to somehow still be both completely goofy as villains, and terrifying.

SHADOWS ON THE WALL
This ended up being my dinner break, so I have nothing to say here. When I got back, people seemed to have enjoyed it.

Costume Contest
I have a love/hate relationship with the costume contest. I enjoy watching it each year, and I love that wit and timing can sometimes count more than costume quality. On the other hand, as a fairly dedicated costumer who puts a lot of effort into his costumes, the fact that I’ve seen people who put a lot of time and thought into their costumes lose to someone with a blanket occasionally really bums me out.

(I didn’t mind at all losing to Zap Brannigan. I was annoyed about losing to a blanket.)

This year offered a better-than-normal group of good costumes that also involved some good timing and wit, and I’m very glad that Barbarella – the later years, Bill and Ted, and the Seventeenth Doctor all ended up at the top of the heap. I felt bad about Jack Sparrow – and actually think he might’ve done better if he’d used a better line from the film.

BARBARELLA
An angel does not make love. An angel is love. - Pygar

Apparently being married to a director can get you in to a science fiction film where you end up changing your clothing a lot, getting naked a lot, and somehow managing to still succeed in defeating an evil scientist and a world controlled by an evil matmos.

I’ve never completely understood the appeal of this film. It’s goofy, the effects are beyond dated, and Ms. Fonda isn’t even all that hot.

I feel like I should have a fondness for this film, and I was actually looking forward to seeing it again. but once it started, I just felt bored throughout. When you find yourself wishing that Durand-Durand would just kill the heroine, it’s a sign that the movie is, perhaps, not hitting its mark.

In retrospect, I kind of wish I’d stayed through SHADOWS ON THE WALL and gone to dinner here.

TIME LAPSE
Cardinal rule. Don’t fuck with time. - Jasper

I knew very little about this one going in, by choice. I had read the basic synopsis on Wikipedia, but chose not to watch any of the trailers. I was therefore unprepared to see that one of our three leads was none other than Danielle Panabaker, whose turn as Caitlin Snow on THE FLASH is one of the delights of my weekly TV viewing.

I love time travel movies, especially ones that keep you guessing and that are consistent with their laws of casualty and sequence. The best episodes of DOCTOR WHO manage it, and we’ve had a few films throughout the decades that do it really well (TIMECRIMES, PRIMER, HAPPY ACCIDENTS), and then we have those films where Time Travel is a hand-wave for whatever weird stuff they feel like throwing at us. I am very happy that TIME LAPSE falls into the category of ones that did it well.

That said, a consistent time-travel plot doesn’t mean anything if you don’t care about the characters, and I really did here. Jasper, Callie and Finn are all fascinating characters, and watching them change and become corrupted by what the machine can show them is incredibly engaging.

Solid performances, an engaging plot, authentic tension and a consistent time-travel mechanic all put TIME LAPSE on the top of my list for this event, and I am highly recommending it to my friends.

BLADE RUNNER: THE FINAL CUT
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die. - Roy Batty

BLADE RUNNER is not one of those science fiction films that I am completely in love with, and in some ways this feeling is exacerbated by the numerous different “versions” of the film that circulate. When someone says “I love this movie,” one’s response shouldn’t be to ask which version. With that in mind, I wasn’t all that excited about the “Final Cut” showing.

To be sure, the film is stronger without Harrison Ford’s voiceovers, and the additional footage of the unicorn dream and the violence isn’t awful – but I didn’t find myself caring all that much about seeing this version over the Director’s Cut, and in some ways I don’t even mind the U.S. Domestic Release.

The digital restoration, on the other hand, was incredibly impressive, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a prettier version of BLADE RUNNER. But maybe it was simply because of the fact that we were edging past midnight, but I simply wasn’t as moved by the film as I have been in the past.

EARTH GIRLS ARE EASY
I just want to say that being chosen as this month's Miss August is like a compliment I'll remember for as long as I can. Right now I'm a freshman in my fourth year at UCLA, but my goal is to become a veterinarian, 'cause I love children. - Candy

After the heaviness of BLADE RUNNER, this was the perfect palate cleanser. There is no part of this movie that isn’t charming in its own goofy, ridiculous way.

Now, this movie is so eighties it hurts, and the fact that it was MTV produced and existed as much to push Julie Brown as to actually make a good comedy is only barely disguised.

But who cares? Sometimes all you want is a film that is fun and goofy and charming, and EARTH GIRLS ARE EASY delivers in spades. The songs are upbeat and catchy. The aliens are ridiculous and silly but still charming in their own way, and Goldblum and Davis always have fantastic chemistry together on-screen.

While certainly not a movie that will be high on my “Oh man, I need to see this again” list, I don’t think I would ever object to watching EARTH GIRLS ARE EASY if I was channel surfing and came across it, and I’d be happy to see it grace the marathon screen again in a decade or so.

LUCY
Time is the only true unit of measure. It gives proof to the existence of matter. Without time, we don't exist. - Lucy

Scarlett Johansson is one of my biggest Hollywood crushes, and I consider it nothing short of criminal that Marvel/Disney has not yet made a BLACK WIDOW film starring her. She’s gorgeous, the camera loves her, and she’s actually a very capable actress. Despite all this, I never got around to seeing LUCY when it was in the theatre, so I was really looking forward to checking this out.

The premise is completely goofy – in that we actually use all of our brain. But if you’re willing to handwave that, the movie is actually pretty enjoyable. To be sure, there are some ridiculous plot holes (namely “Why does she need the drug from the dealers? With the access to information she has, surely she could have just synthesized it herself.”) and in many ways it never really feels like the stakes are high – because once she starts unlocking her abilities, Lucy really isn’t threatened by any mundane threats.

So, call it more a philosophical film about mankind’s potential, mixed with some Michael Bay-esque action sequences. And in that regard, I think it succeeds. Again, not on the list of movies I feel a need to rewatch soon, but not a movie I regret having seen.

HARDWARE
Machines don't understand sacrifice - neither do morons. - Chief

HARDWARE originally showed at It Came From The Drexel North 5 in 1991, which was my fourth one of these twenty-four hour events, and at the time, I think I was too exhausted to really be able to get into the film. I remember thinking that the lead female was sexy enough that I understood why she was the object of obsession of her neighbor. I also remember thinking that I didn’t care about any of the characters in the film at all, and that the cyborg was kind of goofy. Even with the post-apocalyptian overlay, I couldn’t see a reason to watch HARDWARE over THE TERMINATOR.

Unfortunately, the passage of time hasn’t done much – if anything – to change my mind. Maybe it was still because of the lateness of when it was shown, but I still just didn’t find myself caring at all during the film. Stacey Travis is still hot, but I still didn’t care.

It’s far from the worst film we’ve ever shown at the Marathon, and I’m not at all upset that it aired. It gave me a good reason to decide “To heck with it,” and close my eyes and catch a few winks. But I don’t ever need to see it again, and retrospect, I should’ve left and gone for a walk to get some breakfast during it.

THE WASP WOMAN
She will kill her as easily as any wasp would destroy its enemy. - Eric Zinthrop

The tried and true “Dangerous Feminist” genre has a place in cinematic history, and the horror/sci-fi trope of the woman who becomes a predatory monster is certainly a part of that. THE WASP WOMAN fits squarely into the middle of the pack of these kinds of movies.

It wasn’t a bad film. The performances were fairly sincere, and the plot was… well… no more unfeasible than many science fiction films of the fifties and sixties. Susan Cabot actually seemed believably conflicted, and she’s certainly not hard on the eyes.

The Wasp Woman makeup itself hasn’t aged well, but it’s no worse than the makeup from the original version of THE FLY. Perhaps the kindest thing I can say about the movie is that at this late hour of the event, I managed to not nod off during its runtime.

ALIENS
Take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. - Ellen Ripley

As good as ALIEN is, many people will say that ALIENS is better. I don’t know that I agree with that – if only because in so many ways it is unfair to compare the two. ALIEN is a horror film – it’s the serial killer/haunted house in space, with a significant secondary dose of body horror, and there’s a reason that ALIEN can be shown as a part of a horror film festival as easily as it fits into science-fiction. ALIENS is a much more typical science-fiction film –and that’s not a Bad Thing, it just makes the experience of the two movies very different.

It is funny that – even when you account for the improved weaponry and combat training – how much the aliens suffer from Conservation of Ninjitsu. Any single xenomorph is no threat to the marines or to Ripley (excluding the Queen, of course), which is a far cry from a single creature destroying the entire crew of the Nostromo.

But really, none of that matters. ALIENS is a well-made film, with great performances all around, incredibly solid special effects that have aged quite well, and a compelling personal character story in the midst of the action. There’s a reason this film remains on the top of many lists, and it was possibly one of the best films to end a Marathon in the many years of the Ohio Marathon’s history (which is probably why this isn’t the first time that we ended the ‘thon with ALIENS).

Summary
I was sad that Christina wasn’t able to come out to the event this year, because I think it had one of the more solid line-ups in recent memory. By the time we were done on Sunday (only about fifteen minutes late, despite the delay with getting ALIENS loaded into the DCP projector), that sadness was exacerbated – I think she would’ve had a lot of fun this time around. I’m also thinking that I would love to see the kid’s tickets return, because Mira is getting to the age that I think bringing her for at least the first few movies would’ve been a lot of fun – but I couldn’t justify a $40 ticket price to only bring her out for ALIEN, DR WHO, SHADOWS ON THE WALL and BARBARELLA (which is probably when I would’ve taken her home, although keeping her there through TIME LAPSE might’ve been an option).

Not among the films, but important to note. The tribute to Leonary Nimoy was great, and I really enjoyed both the episode of STAR TREK: THE ANIMATED SERIES, and to see that Mr. Nimoy was overwhelmingly voted in to the Hall of Fame this year. I also thought that the trailer for PROMETHEUS was absolutely fitting to make the Upside-Down-and-Backwards offering for the year. In general, it seemed like we had more shorts and fewer trailers, and I don't know how much I prefer that trend, but the event still came off well.

As always, Bruce and Joe deserve more thanks than I can put into words for organizing this event and making it happen each year. I had an absolute blast, and I’m looking forward to coming back next year. I don’t know if the Horror Marathon is going to happen – partially because I might end up running in the Columbus Marathon that weekend – but I’m really happy to see both events continue from year to year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:17 pm 
Site Admin

OK, thoughts and musings for the assemblage:

As I said above, I definitely think this crowd was more energized and more into the event than we've had in a very long time. Audience reaction was really positive, even to the films that weren't at the top of people's lists. Though I don't know specifics, I think attendance numbers were improved as well, which always makes me feel better.

The Drexel and its staff were, as always, incredible to work with throughout the event. I absolutely want to thank them for the hard work they put in and especially want to thank Anna for the incredible job she did up in the booth. As Joe said during the event, running these events at various theaters has not always gone ... smoothly. I know I really couldn't be happier with how well the marathons have gone since moving back to the Drexel.

I'll try not to go on at length about the lineup because (much like Boston) I've really seen (and commented on) most of these films before.

ALIEN/ALIENS - I was one of "those guys" who recommended Bruce show ALIEN rather than TERMINATOR 2 and having seen it again I completely back my opinion on it. ALIEN may have the best production design (dated though it may seem) of any science fiction film in the last 40 years. To see the detail and care that went into designing those sets in perfect clarity, thanks to a phenomenally good DCP restoration, was an absolute thrill. And ALIEN and ALIENS work so well as a bookend simply because they share a common visual feel but are totally different tones and themes. Having the opportunity to see both within a 24 hour people is easily worthwhile.

DR WHO AND THE DALEKS - While I can't say I think either of the Cushing WHO films are all that good (they both play out very much like mediocre Hartnell episodes) the simple fact remains that even a lot of dedicated Whovians from days of yore either don't know about them or haven't seen them. Plus, I have to say that the quality of the DCP transfer was exceptionally high, better than the DVD release that was put out oh-so-many years ago. Hopefully people appreciated the opportunity to see it big-screen.

BARBARELLA/EARTH GIRLS ARE EASY/LUCY - BARBARELLA is one of my all-time favorite science fiction films simply because of it's massively over-the-top aesthetic and brazen sexuality. EARTH GIRLS is good mindless 80's fun. LUCY didn't really thrill me all that much, there's a complete lack of dramatic tension and only a thin attempt to make any sort of commentary on the human condition. Mostly it's just the standard Übermensch storyline that makes most Superman stories dull as dishwater. Kinda like WATCHMEN without any of the underlying comment on how maybe it's not a good thing to lose one's humanity. Meh. Still, serviceable enough to keep me awake.

BLADE RUNNER - I could write a whole diatribe about why this film absolutely deserves the accolades that it gets. Without going into the details, suffice to say that this is a film whose questions (and the discussion they prompt) are far more important than its answers. Very few films can be as insightful and thought-provoking as this while simultaneously being as entertaining and engaging. Throw in an absolutely superb visual style and you have the sort of thing that keeps this title on "best of" lists and will for a long time.

SHADOWS ON THE WALL/HARDWARE/THE WASP WOMAN - These were probably the weaker presentations of the marathon. SHADOWS ON THE WALL just didn't click with me, and even given its early slot I had trouble staying awake for parts of it. Production values aside, I think the premise was interesting but maybe not as well executed as I'd have liked. HARDWARE has always fell into the same category for me, a whole lot of fluff for an overall pretty weak offering. THE WASP WOMAN is also pretty standard fare without some of the signature Corman brilliance that usually elevates his material above his cheap production designs. So, "meh" on all three of these.

Full disclosure here - while I did stay awake more at this event than almost any other marathon in my history, I have to say I did nod off for a large portion of HARDWARE and a few scenes out of THE WASP WOMAN. You can judge for yourselves if my "meh" review of both was tainted by a lack of sleep.

TIME LAPSE - I wanted to single this out (and save it for last) because this really did seem to rule the field this year. Time travel and prognostication films are not easy to pull off convincingly well. They take a lot of careful forethought and a delicate hand at conveying information to the audience. Foreshadowing has to be subtle and clever without being obvious and hooks and twists have to be believable. Characterizations require strong empathy without revealing too much of the enigma behind motivations and decisions. TIME LAPSE pulled off all these traits flawlessly. It's definitely fallen in as one of my "Top 5" favorite time benders, and it's definitely going to be on my acquisition list after this.

Now on to thanking people ...

As always, I'll try to thank everyone I can think of and miss more than half of the people I should thank. As I said before, Kevin and the Drexel staff deserve all the kudos they can get for being so great to work with on the event. Buy concessions from them. More importantly, go see movies down at the Drexel when you have the opportunity, they really do show some great stuff and the more attendance they get the more incentive they have to do cool things like this.

I want to give a BIG thanks to Bruce and Joe, obviously, and want to put in a plug for the Wexner center as well. They show some absolutely incredible stuff and a lot of it is stuff you'll be hard pressed to see elsewhere. Plus they keep Bruce employed and that's probably a good thing.

Obviously, Anna deserves a whole-huge-heap of happy thanks for doing a phenomenal job up in the booth. Keeping that engine rolling for 24 hours straight is absolutely no easy task, and I'm sure the added hassles of the intermission videos didn't help. Absolutely bang-up job.

Big huge thanks to Pogo for donating the books for the give-away. I can't say it enough, books rule, and for as much as I love seeing things on the big screen there's no greater way to truly experience science fiction than with a good, old-fashioned book in your lap. Pogo's been a big supporter for a long time and this was really a great gesture.

Epic Loot and Laughing Ogre clearly deserve a big shout-out, Epic Loot in particular for providing such a huge volume of prizes and letting the esteemed Mr. Cozzolino off his leash long enough to run the camera for the event. All I have to say to Scott is ... "Love!"

A few comments in response to things from the board and from Facebook:

AEinhorn wrote:
In general, it seemed like we had more shorts and fewer trailers, and I don't know how much I prefer that trend, but the event still came off well.

I'll take some responsibility for this. I'd been pushing for us to show the ÆON FLUX pilot for a few years now and the addition of the ST:TAS episode for the Nimoy tribute cut into trailer time a bit. Plus, I decided to run more shorts during the Intermissions, so it probably contributed a lot to the feeling of being more "short heavy."

Also, someone had a question from elsewhere (I can't remember where at the moment) about whether or not there were pictures from the event.

I do have a pretty large number of pictures and several from the costume contest, but I haven't had time to go through them and get them posted. My brain wasn't really working all that well last night (though some would argue that it's probably NEVER working, so hey ... improvement!)

Keep an eye out at The Archives for the updated sections, and I'll be sure to post an update here when everything's ready.

Thanks again to everyone who attended, please post here so we can know your thoughts and reactions to the event!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:28 pm 

I had a great time as always, thanks to everyone who put in so much work to make it run!

ALIEN/ALIENS/BLADE RUNNER: Three classics at the beginning, midpoint and end of the marathon felt like a great way to structure the lineup. I know it won't always work that way, and was driven partially by the inclusion of both ALIEN and ALIENS, but I for one liked it. My familiarity with Blade Runner meant that I slept through about half of it. One of only two movies during which I slept!

DR. WHO AND THE DALEKS: Like Joe, I've basically never seen any Dr. Who stuff, but I have seen enough references to know that in the show, his name isn't actually Dr. Who. This, like a lot of films in the lineup, was dumb but fun. The Daleks were super annoying, but I think I had more of a tolerance for this movie than the four people I attended with. If it had been shown any later than it was, though, I might have changed my tune.

SHADOWS ON THE WALL: I really, really didn't like this one and frankly was surprised to hear so many people applaud it during the informal survey at the end. But I guess that's how subjective opinions work. :lol: I thought the writing was really bad, and the actors did their best, but there's only so well you can do when the plot and dialogue are so dumb. Still, like UPSIDE DOWN a couple years ago, I did get some enjoyment out of just watching in disbelief and seeing how dumb it was going to get.

BARBARELLA: A fascinating bit of weirdness. I feel like it would be a good double feature with ZARDOZ (although I've never actually seen the latter): pseudo-psychedelic sexuality-laden ambitious sci fi insanity. Not exactly a classic but I did have some genuine laughs. Props to whoever in the crowd gave a Fonzie "Ayyyyy" when Dildanno hit the machine to make it work.

TIME LAPSE: Everyone else has pointed this out, but it was great; would DEFINITELY recommend. See, SHADOWS ON THE WALL? You CAN make a smart, entertaining, well-written sci fi movie with a low budget and limited locations! Sometimes overexplaining the technology works (see: PRIMER), but I think if SHADOWS ON THE WALL had taken the less-is-more approach to the technology that TIME LAPSE did, it could have turned out a lot better.

EARTH GIRLS ARE EASY: This one was actually really funny to me. It may have helped that I was sitting next to a friend who loved it from childhood, and that by this point I had sampled from the beer and liquor selection in the lobby. Props to the red shirt crew member manning the bar, that's presumably a lot safer detail to pull than going down to the planet to get killed by an alien monster.

LUCY: I agree with VitruvianZeke that the inevitability of the storyline killed the dramatic tension, and the exploration of the ideas was pretty thin compared to many other movies which have tackled the same concepts. However, I did enjoy watching just to see how insane her powers were going to get. During the final gun battle between the cops and the drug dealers, I kept thinking, "Who cares about this, there's a woman becoming a god down the hall!"

HARDWARE: The trailer didn't look promising, so I slept through the whole thing. From what I heard in the theater and on the boards, it sounds like I made the right decision.

THE WASP WOMAN: If there had been a different, better 50s B&W selection elsewhere in the lineup, this would have been tedious to me, but as it is I appreciated the inclusion. I enjoyed the big laugh at the guinea pigs suddenly turning into mice when they got younger.

OTHER STUFF: The new food and liquor stuff seemed to work well, the crowd had a great energy (no major incidents or altercations as far as I could tell). Thanks to pogo for donating the books, although I'm sorry to say that the two I received got ruined by some forgotten Junior Mints I accidentally left in the bottom of my backpack. I hope everyone else, especially the small contingent of newbies, had as much fun as I did, and I will hopefully see you at Shock Around the Clock in October!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:57 pm 

First off, I'd like to second what has already been said in this thread that this was one of the best marathon experiences I've had in recent memory. Our group had a blast, my wife had a blast, and it seemed like the majority of the audience had a blast as well. I was on the fence about this year's theme but I'll freely admit it played excellently. Bruce and Joe put on a great show as always and the Drexel staff was nothing but exceptional again this year.

I'll save everyone a film by film breakdown and just hit the highlights:

The Winners:
*Time Lapse was my favorite movie of the event this year and its good to see I'm not alone in my opinion. I really dug the characters, the plot, and the premise itself. I'm glad to see word has gotten back to director Bradley King and really hope the marathon can feature him in the future as a guest and premiere his next film if possible.
*The concessions this year were also a big winner in my book. Having unique items at various intermissions was an excellent touch. I'm upset I didn't order a crepe at the 4pm break but the late night White Castles hit the spot. I'd definitely would like to see an expanded menu like this at future marathons.
*Lastly, as has already been stated, the crowd was excellent this year. My wife brought three friends this year for the first time and they all said they had a great time and are excited to attend again next year (and possibly for Shock Around the Clock in October). Thanks again for all those around us for being tolerant and respectful as we ended up having a rather large group in the theater this year.

The Losers:
*There was really only one loser for me this year, Lucy. I guess I'm just one of the few people who couldn't forgive the premise of the movie and as a result the rest of the movie came off as overly pretentious to me. Thankfully it played late so I ended up sleeping through half of the movie.
*I also knew going in I wouldn't necessarily care for Dr. Who and the Daleks but the fact that it ended up replacing 10th Victim made it even more disappointing. Chalk it up to circumstances beyond the marathon's control but it still in the end is a little disappointing. I'm glad Dr. Who played second and the fact that the crowd to a considerable degree was having fun with it made it at least watchable to me.

Again, huge thanks again to Joe and Bruce, the Drexel staff and everyone who came out this year to make this another great marathon. We're definitely excited to see everyone again in October for Shock Around the Clock.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:28 pm 
Site Admin

The first round of images is posted, there will probably be some more coming once Joe gets his stuff processed.

http://www.scifimarathon.com/scigallery ... p?album=70

Enjoy! :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:26 pm 

As usual, the board has pretty well closed down until the next event, still, thought that I'd add my bit.
Thanks for all the thanks re the book giveaway.Most of the books were occasional works, movie tie ins or things that I thought would speak to Marathon goers. If anyone has a lust for a classic SF author , I'd be happy to send you some beat up copies of classic Poul Anderson or A E Van Vogt or whomever. I decided a while ago that I'd rather give books to persons who would enjoy them rather than try to make pennies on the resale market. This includes you, stinky.
I'm serious. email: donttakelifesoserious@gmail.com

I bow to AEinhorn's comments. Re-read them for quality commentary.

The Marathon.
The Classics: Alien, Aliens, Blade Runner
Each and every one of them justified their reps for production, story line, dramatic performances and, unique for their times, sets, FX, scale of production, attention to detail, and even to now, creation and manipulation of their specific universes.
I did not realize how much this cut of Blade - - changed the story, but it was much preferable to the original release.
I can see how there could be objections based on familiarity but not of content. I was lucky, in that it had been a dozen years since I had seen any of the above.

Dr. Who and the Daleks
I have an odd and unique perspective on Doc Who. I was a sophomore in High School, living in London, with the family, the day that JFK was assassinated. The next day, wiped out by trauma, I turned on the BBC and watched the broadcast of the first episode of Doctor Who. Have been a fairly passive viewer of every incarnation of the series since, including watching some very cheesy episodes of the early doctors. But maintained my interest.
Was happy to see the Who listing for the Thon. Am happy to have seen it and have it out of the way, because it stunk in terms of acting, plot, staging and general quality compared to even the poorest of the BBC series. While I did realize that it was non-canonical that does not make up for the above. Appreciate the motives for the listing as there are a lot of Whovians (like me) out there who have heard of the movie & wanted to see it. Thanks for taking away any need to do anything but avoid any repeat performance.
Note: The 1996 movie , of the only full scale appearance of the eighth doctor, has been seen by almost no Whovians. Hugely better movie (and I have seen it) that would be great for a future Columbus.

Shadows On The Wall.
While I understand stinky's objections, I give credit to the originality of the Indie style, plot & choices. It is true that anyone who was not driven up the wall about the dithering as to whether to turn off the machine or to split was probably under the influence of intoxicating substances. It was lacking in editing and perhaps could have used more accomplished dramatic skills, but was pretty much what it's nice to see in an Indie.

Barbarella
Actually stayed awake. Barely. Have bad mouthed it elsewhere on this board. Am glad that Scott got to see his honey.

Time Lapse
As others have said, this was the discovery of the Thon. Acting, plot, action , all outstanding. Did feel that Danielle Panabaker's abandonment of the logic of the pictures at the end was a flaw, as was the reliance of bloody head shots to resolve the action. But I know that I am in the minority.
Still am bemused by the fact that clearly superior films like this one and Predestination, a filming of a Robert Heinlein classic story, fade without a trace where absolute big budget crap rules the screens.

Earth Girls Are Easy
Well, Geena Davis, here, is my honey. Absolutely silly, but with bits like the earliest movie appearance of Jim Carrey, amusing ValGirl & surfer stupidities, and clear indications that the purpose was not to make sense, but to relax and chuckle. My reaction was to settle into my seat with a smile on my face.

Lucy
See VZeke and stinky. I agree. Glad that there was a choice to throw in a current movie.
Boston and Cleveland put in Edge of Tomorrow for that balance - but that had probably been seen by everybody & did not fit the theme. So, OK film, thanks.

Hardware
Slept, except when the noise forced momentary consciousness. From the above comments & Joe's admission that it even made him feel a little sleazy, no regrets.

Wasp Woman Like Aaron's review. An okay classic, although the transmogrification of the Guinea Pig into another species was amusing. As was all of the attention to the bee hives when the serum was about wasps. Waspie's mask was inferior to my daughter's youthful creations. Still, appreciate an oldie on the dangerous women theme with decent acting and a cheesy, but comprehendable, plot.

Other Stuff.
Didn't attempt the concessions beyond coffee. Next year?

Theater staff was long enduring, polite and the place was well maintained.

The shorts were excessive. But not overly so. I would suggest turning them off during the breaks. If it's worth watching, let us watch it. Seemed as if there was an overflow that they wanted to squeeze in. Would have liked an in memorium, as that is always excellent. Suggested on the Boston Board, last year, that the borrow it. Do appreciate the density of all the short stuff presented. As always, makes it an event, more than just bunch of movies. Liked the nod to Nimoy.

For a guy who realizes that he do go on, Joe still did go on. Of course at the end, he did have to fill. His & Bruce's stories do make it a family event. They did make me stay awake when I wanted to sleep. Bastards. But thanks to you.
Can see the results of lots of work by unknown minions. Thank you all.

Costume contest. Cute, but inferior to previous years. Learned my limits when I participated a few years ago.

Enjoyed the hell out of the experience. You feel both coddled & appreciated when you are there.
This was my third Columbus. Have been to two Bostons and thirty Clevelands. My favorite Columbus, and in the top 10% of all 35 Marathons that I have attended.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:55 pm 

It's been more than a week since Spaceship Drexel splashed down in the Olentangy River, but it has taken that long for me to get my bearings and settle some things down in what I like to refer to as "normal life."

Anyway, here are my slightly tardy thoughts on SF32...

Overall, this was a fantastic marathon experience. The line-up was near-perfect, and the selection of films was really pretty great. Sure, there were a couple downers for some, but you can't please everyone. Bruce and Joe did a great job organizing the event again this year, and even if the place isn't bursting at the seams, it looks like we are maintaining a pretty solid crowd at these events. Once again, much adoration for Bruce and Joe for jumping through all the hoops and dealing with all the ins and outs behind the scenes of the event.

For the films...

ALIEN/ALIENS - I have to place these two together because they make such a one-two punch. Yeah, they bookended the marathon, and that was the best way to go. (In response to a previous thread, the last time I remember not bookending with remake/sequels was when both versions of THE BLOB played back-to-back or near back-to-back in 1988.) You can't go wrong with either of these films, and they looked great on the big screen. Fun to see again, even though I've seen them a lot.

DR. WHO AND THE DALEKS - I mis-timed my ordering of food, and I needed to get something to eat, so I ducked out to grab dinner during this movie. I had recently seen it before, so I didn't miss much. Even though it's a silly lark and not at all representative of what Doctor Who has become, it's essential viewing (even if you only see it once) to complete the alternate history of the character. Though I doubt anyone will be clamoring for DALEKS: INVASION EARTH 2150 next year. :-)

SHADOWS ON THE WALL - I had conflicting feelings about this movie. I really did not like the characters, and the acting was only mediocre for the leads (and godawful for some of the supporting cast). Though I appreciated the ambition of the project and some of the themes it juggled. Not my favorite film, but still worth checking out for a premiere. Hard to believe it was shot on the same camera that was used for TIME LAPSE, but that goes to show you how important it is for indie filmmakers to understand lighting.

BARBARELLA - Goofy, silly, make-funable, over-the-top... love. Like DR. WHO, this is one of those warty footnotes in science fiction that are worth seeing at least once for a fan. The print looked great, and even though I'm not a Jane Fonda fan, I appreciated the boobs (I am a man of simple needs). Don't necessarily want to see it again anytime soon, but it always goes well with the more serious fare of the event, and it was scheduled at a very appropriate time.

TIME LAPSE - Great little indie film. I was concerned at first that I would start hating the characters, and while some of them seemed a little too cliche for your standard indie story, all of their foibles were necessary to make the film work out the way it did. I liked it, and it was clearly the gem of the marathon.

BLADE RUNNER - Though the dark tone of the film can weigh on you, and it was starting to get a little late (unavoidable for an event like this), it was still fantastic to see. Looking at the movie with a critical and more mature eye was inspiring this time around. And while Bruce thought I was stretching too much for my Deckard-as-Christ theory (explicitly *not* Roy because he failed in the process and became a fallen beast but Deckard is in fact the Replicant who is both Replicant and human), I feel it is sound.

EARTH GIRLS ARE EASY - Quite simply the PERFECT movie to follow-up BLADE RUNNER. Hilariously goofy and so steeped in the 80s, it's impossible to remove it out of its time. More coherent than BARBARELLA but just a silly, I love this movie, and I have loved this movie since I saw it at the Drexel in the 80s.

LUCY - Have to admit, I dozed off during this one. I really enjoyed it from its release last year, and I've got the Blu-ray. My aging body just needs some sleep now and then. Still, from what I saw, it looked great and was perfect high energy to charge the crowd in the middle of the night.

HARDWARE - I hated this movie when it showed in the 90s. I did not care to revisit it again. I had no problem catching some Zs through this one.

THE WASP WOMAN - I tried to stay awake for this, but I was too tired. I like a dose of 50s BEM and alien type movies at these events, but with so many decades coming after it, it's hard to schedule too many. (It was much easier in the 80s when there we were only a couple decades out from them.) I ended up watching it last week on one of the free Roku channels. Wish I had watched the 35mm print shown because that looked great over the 3/4"-tape transfer that is currently being shown on line and on release DVDs.

ALIENS - See above.

Other elements of the marathon...

COSTUME CONTEST - Overall great. Good participation, and excellent costumes. I had a similar idea as the 17th Doctor, though I don't have a TARDIS lying around, so I would have looked totally lame next to him. Glad I sat this one out.

CONCESSIONS - Great stuff. Loved the expanded menu options. I was too late to get White Castles, but my lower intestines were okay with that.

DREXEL STAFF - They were great and very easy to work with. Friendly and helpful, even in the crazy late hours of the morning.

PROJECTION - I think it's worth noting how excellent the projection was this year. I know there have been some rocky moments at marathons in the past when there have been more than our fair share of problems. Honestly, I didn't really notice any problems this year at all. Kudos!

SHORTS/TRAILERS - My only real problem with the presentation was (kind of echoing what Pogo said) the showing of shorts and trailers at the breaks. Part of what I love about these events are the pre-shows, and when they're shown during the break with all the lights on and possible even the sound off, they really lose something. In particular, as much as I loved the Filmation Star Trek animated episode, the STAR TREK trailers that played before the event started seemed marginalized, and I really couldn't enjoy them as trailers. I know there's always a struggle between what content to show and not show, and the trailers and other pre-show material is probably most guilty for making the events run over. I still love them and crave more. That's just me.

CELL PHONES - The only real problem I had with the crowd was the consistent use of cell phones. Come on, people... if you can't unplug for a couple hours to watch a movie, you're doing life wrong. I understand checking a text or the time, but what kills me are the people who are just surfing the internet. Even if you turn the brightness of your screen down (which *everyone* should be doing for this event), seeing you checking email and Facebook is not part of the experience. At least most of the people I asked nicely to stop using their phones were cool and put them away. (There was one guy who flat out refused and threw back a "I paid as much as you did to be here" quip at me, but I got that straightened out.) Anyway, people... there's a lobby with wifi where you can surf all night long if you want to. And there are intermissions during which most reasonable folks use to get on their phones. Otherwise, please turn them off... and more so, please ask people to turn them off if they are using them around you. Here's where self-policing actually works. Just don't be afraid to tell the person to stop surfing if they've been goofing around on a tiny screen for more than a couple minutes. ---Cell phone rant over---

Anyway, I had a great time at this marathon, and I was extremely happy with the line-up. I felt I got my money's worth of the ticket, and the show was fantastic. See you all in October!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:24 pm 

ALIEN
I saw this first run in 1979 at Cinema East on Broad Street (long since gone) and my 10 year old mind soaked up every once of blood, gore and screams. This was honestly a life changing experience for me and set me on the dark path I have followed my entire life. FYI I saw THE AMITYVILLE HORROR the same year, I had the coolest parents ever. ALIEN did a great job of setting the tone for the entire marathon!!

DR WHO AND THE DALEKS
I used to watch the Tom Baker years when I was a child but other than that I have never been a fan of DR. Who but I really liked this movie, it was fun, chessey, entertaining and the Daleks were a hoot. The idea of a trashcan with a plunger attached to it being evil is awesome.

SHADOWS ON THE WALL
Like most people I really enjoyed this movie, it wasn't great and was obviously low budget but I found it to be entertaining and I couldn't wait to see what the device would ultimately do. I can see this being remade with a bigger budget and a couple familiar faces.

Costume Contest
The glory days of the Costume Contest have come and gone yet this year I decided to join the lineup for the first time since the Drexel North Days. I was happy to make it a couple rounds but over all old Mork from Ork was no match for old Barbarella or old Dr. Who.

BARBARELLA
Hanoi Jane showing off her Beauty in the movie that inspired 80's pop sensation Duran Duran....what else can anyone say?? Fun as always, should probably play again in about 10 or 15 years. Maybe we can get Flesh Gordon in 2016??

TIME LAPSE
I love it when I find a new gem at the marathons and TIME LAPSE certainly was the gem of the 'thon. I liked the characters, the acting, the story etc. I think they broke their own time rules a couple times especially at the end but it doesn't matter I still liked the movie and would recommend it to family and friends.

And here is where I drive off the deep end into a dark ocean of sci-fi where I stand alone. I simply don't like BLADE RUNNER no matter what version is showing. I never bought into the whole future where it's dark and raining all the time. Everyone would kill themselves if this was the planet we had to live on. Not to mention they bring Deckard out of retirement because her is "the best" Blade Runner ever yet he is almost killed several times and always needs saving. I could go on and on but i'm sorry I just don't like this movie.

EARTH GIRLS ARE EASY
I remember watching this on HBO back in day, never thought it was a great movie but with the marathon audience it was a easy to enjoy the bright colors and silly songs. I am so glad I didn't live in the same 80's the people in this movie lived in...not everyone in the 80's were as superficial and shallow as this movie makes them out to be.

LUCY
Like I said before LUCY is the WTF Movie of 2014 yet it's a fun ride. Scarlett Johansson is the definition of beauty and grace and she owned this role and once again this movie was perfectly placed in the time slot, coming off the cheesy high of EARTH GIRLS ARE EASY and right into the trippyness of LUCY was amazing.

HARDWARE
I think this was the 1 movie that was out of place. I may have enjoyed this more earlier in the marathon but as it turns out I couldn't fight off sleep any longer and I took about a 30-40 minute nap during Hardware and woke up about 10 minutes before the end. The good news is that short nap was just what I needed to make it through the last 2 movies with no problem.

THE WASP WOMAN
Being the only black and white classic movie I was surprised this didn't play early in the marathon but the time slot worked for me because it was was a cheese-fest that made me laugh and kept my attention. I own this on DVD yet I had never seen it before, may have to give this a home viewing in a couple months.

ALIENS
It's impossible not to love ALIENS, the perfect cast, story, effect, laughs and scares all in one film and a great way to end the marathon, I didn't even think about closing my eyes once while Aliens was on screen.

NOTES
Although the lineup was mainstream and the a couple movies have shown at past marathons I still found this to be one of the best events in recent years. Everything ran smoothly and the crowd was respectful and kind (except a couple cell phone users) I hope my bringing the Atomic Fireballs was a fun throw back for the marathon veterans.

Thank you Bruce, Joe, Anna, Drexel Staff and Marcon Helpers for making this another Great Sci-Fi Marathon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:07 pm 

Forgive me for I am fashionably late. I was working on this review maybe a week ago, but then it accidentally got erased, so without further ado, here is my review of the Annual Ohio 24 Hour Sci Fi Marathon:
First, I absolutely must thank Joe, Bruce, VitruvianZeke, Pogo, the entire staff and management of the Drexel Theater especially the projectionist, the volunteers and everyone who worked on the website, the forums, the flyers, the shirts and the coffee mugs. I have included three links to videos I recorded of the marathon. Here are the first two:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4jafGgb6o0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tOkSX18R06Y

ALIEN
This movie holds a very special place in my heart because it was released in theaters the year that I was born. I am one of the marathon attendees who had never seen this movie before and I am shocked at how amazingly well this movie holds up even today in 2015, except of course for the computers. Here is some interesting trivia: This movie inspired a Nintendo game called "Metroid". Long story short: Metroid revolves around a tough, mysterious bounty hunter named Samus Aran who takes out aliens on a distant planet and only after beating the game do you learn you were playing the entire game as a woman. One of the bosses is named 'Ridley', which of course sounds like 'Ripley'. The Ridley boss actually looks like a xenamorph.

DR WHO AND THE DALEKS
Unfortunately, this is the first of the three films that I fell asleep during. While not a humongous Dr. Who fan, I do love the Dr. Who season with David Tennant and Billie Piper. That will always be my favorite doctor and female counterpart.

SHADOWS ON THE WALL
I am amazed at how many people don't like this movie. I think it is absolutely, positively wonderful. I especially love the fact that there is a big twist near the end of the movie which I swear I did not see coming about the signal coming back signaling an alien invasion. I really love these kinds of movies, the low budget gems that are not very well known but very, very entertaining, to me at least.

Costume Contest
Here is my third video, showing the Costume Contest:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5LaY5zwtdxg

BARBARELLA
AEinhorn wrote:
I’ve never completely understood the appeal of this film. It’s goofy, the effects are beyond dated, and Ms. Fonda isn’t even all that hot.

I would have thought that it would have been obvious that this movie was supposed to be a fun, sexy film, and you really didn't think that Jane Fonda was hot? WHAAAAAT!!??? lol I thought she looked SCALDING HOT!! This movie's main villain inspired the name of a certain 80's band. The killer dolls were scary.

TIME LAPSE
By far the most popular film at the marathon this year, and for good reason. The relationship between Jasper, Callie and Finn are told very well, with plenty of plot twists and intrigue. This film did what a good film should do, which is not to spill out all of the story right at the beginning, but slowwwwly leak out details as the movie progresses, to keep the audience interested. I was delighted to see the beautiful Danielle Panabaker in this. There were some things I was confused about though, like when the old woman told Jasper and Finn that changing the future can't kill them, Jasper continued to believe otherwise. I can understand why Callie would believe otherwise because she wasn't around the old woman when she said that, but how and why did she think that she was able to go back in time when all the machine did is show pictures from the future, not allow anybody to travel into the past? I don't know if Callie was trying to manipulate Jasper or Finn, but she definitely believed that she could go back in time because she ran out of the cop's arms to fix the picture to alter the past. One last thing: I cannot freaking believe how disrespectful Callie was to Finn, always taking Jasper's side, when it was Jasper who got them into that mess with that Bookie and his henchmen to begin with. Finn, a good hearted guy, got treated like freaking garbage all throughout the film by his best friend, then murdered by his girlfriend. Why do the best people always get the worst treatment?

A true Science Fiction classic right up there with Akira. The outstandingly beautiful soundtrack score was done by Vangelis.

EARTH GIRLS ARE EASY
I remember seeing this on Fox 28 in probably the early 1990's. Goldblum and Davis have proven that they have wonderful chemistry together in The Fly and this proved to be the point in this film. Some fairly interesting trivia about this movie: At some point in the film, probably when the lead character is getting a makeover, one of the women shown in this film is Stacy Travis, who starred in another film in the Sci Fi Marathon line up, Hardware.

LUCY
I had so much to say about this film that I posted an entire article about it in "Where Was the Kaboom?". Here is the link: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1843
Also, here is a video that you all might like. It is the CinemaSins video for Lucy:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i3rZmnJ66Po

HARDWARE
This is another film that I'm surprised that everybody seemed to not care for and it is also the second of three movies that I fell asleep during, sadly. I absolutely love this movie to pieces. It is ultimately one of my favorite movies of all time. With its desolate, barren wasteland in a bleak, dystopian future and flat out terrifying action with an awesome metal soundtrack to accompany it, I cherish this film. I love the look of the robot. Some of the music heard in the film was done by one of my favorite bands of all time, Ministry. Also, Stacey Travis, who can briefly be seen in Earth Girls Are Easy has never looked better then in this film.

THE WASP WOMAN
This is the third and final film that I fell sleep during as of at this point, I was just so out of it, so I really don't have a lot to say about it, other than that I love the old black and white Sci Fi movies.

ALIENS
I also had never seen Aliens before and just like with the first Alien film, I was absolutely, ultimately delighted and blown the heck away at how amazingly fun this film was to watch. I can't believe how great it is even today in 2015. I love that the aliens actually got names in the sequel, instead of just calling them "aliens". Does anyone else think Ripley took way longer than the time she had left before the explosion when she returned for the girl? And HOW IN THE UNIVERSE!!!!! did that little, defenseless, unarmed girl possibly survive a BUNCH of aliens without so much as a scratch on her, when highly trained soldiers with combat experience were wiped out left and right by these things?
SEE YOU ALL IN OCTOBER FOR SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK!!! :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:52 am 

HorrorTriviaMaster wrote:
BARBARELLA
AEinhorn wrote:

I would have thought that it would have been obvious that this movie was supposed to be a fun, sexy film, and you really didn't think that Jane Fonda was hot? WHAAAAAT!!??? lol I thought she looked SCALDING HOT!!

For the record, I understand that the movie supposed to be a fun, sexy film. I just didn't think it delivered. But hey, that's why it's art - it's subjective.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:02 am 

I can understand why Callie would believe otherwise because she wasn't around the old woman when she said that, but how and why did she think that she was able to go back in time when all the machine did is show pictures from the future, not allow anybody to travel into the past?

Because this whole time, Callie had been using the pictures from the next morning to tell her how to act that day. She would see the picture in the window Sunday morning when she looked at the picture Saturday morning. If time is mutable, then she would see the note "Don't let Finn see you" on Saturday morning, so she could prevent him from seeing her Sunday morning, and wouldn't kill him, and she would never know why she had told herself to do that.

She's wrong about the way time works, of course.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:21 am 

AEinhorn wrote:

Thanks :) Time travel is often very confusing in fiction. It has puzzled MANY a minds.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:10 am 

AEinhorn wrote:
I can understand why Callie would believe otherwise because she wasn't around the old woman when she said that, but how and why did she think that she was able to go back in time when all the machine did is show pictures from the future, not allow anybody to travel into the past?

Because this whole time, Callie had been using the pictures from the next morning to tell her how to act that day. She would see the picture in the window Sunday morning when she looked at the picture Saturday morning. If time is mutable, then she would see the note "Don't let Finn see you" on Saturday morning, so she could prevent him from seeing her Sunday morning, and wouldn't kill him, and she would never know why she had told herself to do that.

Exactly. I don't think it's that she thought she could time travel, it's that if she changed the note by the time the picture was taken, then her current timeline where she killed Finn would cease to exist, and a new timeline would be established where she didn't get caught.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:30 am 

Just a note on TIME LAPSE, which received nearly unanimous approval.
Something about it seemed familiar. Yesterday I bumped into an old Twilight Zone episode, A Most Unusual Camera and realized why LAPSE was familiar.
The plot, up to and including winning at the track, used the same basic idea.
Of course TIME LAPSE developed it with great complexity & the Zone used it in typical one shot plot fashion.
But interesting, whether or not the idea was borrowed from 1960.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

Last edited by pogo on Tue May 19, 2015 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.