The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:11 am 

HorrorTriviaMaster wrote:
I have an idea. What if Kung Fury was paired up with "Turbo Kid"?

Second That! Turbo Kid would be fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:54 pm 

I'll third Turbo Kid. Had a chance to see it this past Sunday at the Gateway and it did not disappoint. There's no doubt in my mind that it would be a huge hit if it plays in March.

As for announcements/teasers at Shock Around The Clock, I really hope we can get a little taste. I think the only precedent though for hints at the next 'thon (in my limited memory) was at SF31 when they had the date and first couple of movies ready to announce for last year's horror marathon. I had to go back to my archived programs to confirm but last year's horror marathon had no mention of SF32 anywhere in the program. Hopefully there will be a little hint this year but thankfully the time seems to pass relatively quickly from October to March unlike the wait from March to October.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:12 am 

At the horror thon there was a preview so hilarious looking that I have to suggest it for the Sci-fi thon.

Dark Star - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSccwmmrS5A

I also think that Empire of the Ants would be great. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDK3IT29uoQ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:59 pm 

For the folks who didn't go to the horror marathon, I believe Bruce and Joe said they were aiming for the March 19-20 weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:59 am 

Jaglavak wrote:
At the horror thon there was a preview so hilarious looking that I have to suggest it for the Sci-fi thon.

Dark Star - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSccwmmrS5A

One of the stupidest things I have ever done in my life so far is to sell my DVD copy of Dark Star. If you own this movie, NEVER, EVER get rid of it!!! This movie is AMAZING, and I am an IDIOT for selling it..... :( If you love movies that take place in space, such as Christmas On Mars or Android, you'll LOVE this movie! It should DEFINITELY show at the Sci Fi Thon!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:54 pm 

The Cleveland CWRU SF Fest has shown Dark Star six times.
I was there for the last three.
Along with The Day The Earth Stood Still, it's tied for their most presented.
You can look up your own reviews, but assuming that a lot of the Columbus audience don't know it, it would be a great choice for an early evening film.
For that matter, a lot of people like HorrorTriv or me, wouldn't mind seeing again.
Very dark humor. Written& directed by John Carpenter when he was a kid.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

Last edited by pogo on Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:51 am 
Site Admin

pogo wrote:
The Cleveland CWRU SF Fest has shown Dark Starr six times.
I was there for the last three.

I was there when it showed as one of the Surprise Films. A friend of mine and I both screamed out in joy as "INCOMING TRANSMISSION" came up on screen. One of my favorite CWRU moments, bar none. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:13 pm 

Earlier suggested Hell Comes To Frogtown as a tribute to Roddy & "A Nice Piece Of Cheese"
Have to admit that I hadn't seen it but judged it by They Live.
Saw it listed on a classic movie channel on ROKU, so I decided to follow my own advice & watched it.
It was so bad that I would like to retract my nomination.
Rubber frog man suits and horrible dialog doesn't even come up to the level of old Star Trek. Better to show an old Kaiju or a classic like Destination Moon. There you wouldn't be wasting time waiting for something funny or that was worth Piper's time.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:15 am 

Agree about Dark Star - it would be an excellent movie for the marathon! Has it really not played at our marathon yet?

Turbo Kit looks awesome, too!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:19 pm 

A few months ago, I saw one of the GREATEST Sci Fi/Horror movies I have ever witnessed, and it would DEFINITELY play very well with a marathon crowd at next year's Sci Fi thon!!! This cinematic gem is called.....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:49 am 

I will also throw in a vote for Dark Star. Have never seen it but would love to see it with the marathon crowd. Predestination and Ex Machina would also be great choices for newer films since I missed both and both had good reviews. Did anyone see Air or Cargo? Watched the trailer but didn't hear any buzz about them? Others I would toss into the mix:

Outland
The Black Hole
Highlander
Demon Seed
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
Soylent Green-has never been shown at the marathon
Village of the Damned ( original)
Moon - no return showing since Blade Runner took its place
Pacific Rim
Edge of Tomorrow
Minority Report
District 9
Sunshine
Pandorum
Synchronicity
Zardoz- don't know if this would be crazy fun or total disaster/ haven't seen it since the 1980s

I'm just hoping for a good mix of old and new, interesting premiers and classic favorites and a little cheese never hurts.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:04 am 

murph wrote:
Did anyone see Air or Cargo? Watched the trailer but didn't hear any buzz about them?

Cargo screened at a Sci Fi Thon a few years ago. Can't remember which one, but it is one of my favorite films shown at a marathon. GREAT movie!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:20 am 

HorrorTriviaMaster wrote:
It's coincidental that shortly after seeing Space Station 76, I began watching a television series that has one of the cast members of the movie, the little blonde girl.

Just in case any of you were wondering, the series I was referring to is "The Whispers". Also, I don't know if Joe remembers, but a while back, I asked somewhere on the forums if anyone knows the name of a movie that took place in a city, where a man in a business suit notices something odd about these signs or logos, and then must uncover the dark truth behind them, or something like that. I think I mentioned that this movie came out in either 2010 or 2011. I have tried LIKE HELL to find where I posted this so that I could quote it to jog people's memory of it, but in any case, I have found the movie. It is called "BRANDED", and it didn't come out in 2010 or 2011. It came out in 2012. I would love if this would screen at the 2016 Sci Fi Thon. Here is the poster for it:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:24 am 

How about the 1981 soviet flick "Through the Thorns to the Stars aka "Humanoid Woman". I think it looks very interesting.