The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:59 am 

I know everyone is focused on The upcoming Horror Marathon but I watched a fun Sci-Fi movie over the weekend that I wanted to talk about so I started this thread.....

Sunday afternoon I went to my Brothers house for our annual viewing of "Independence Day" (We always watch the DVD that had the Extended scenes since that has yet to make it on to BluRay) and after Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum were done saving the planet from the Alien Scum my Brother asked me if I wanted to watch a Bluray he just bought, the movie was called "Journey to the far side of the sun" (aka Doppelgänger) and it sounded like fun so I said sure and we watched it...

Let me tell you, this little British science-fiction film from 1969 would be PERFECT for the marathon, in fact I can't believe Bruce has never shown this one, I had to go back into the Vitruvianzeke's Hall of Marathonia just to make sure I didn't miss this one at 4am at a previous marathon, and once I verified that it had not I knew I had to mention it on this board. This movie has it all...cheesy special effects, Robots, space ships, spies, gadgets and it's all set in a future that looks like the 70's!!

So here is my start to the 2016 Wish List:

Journey to the far side of the Sun
    Jason X

This year I would like to read some of your stories as to why you think a particular movie would be great to add to the lineup

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:05 pm 

Ghost wrote:
it's all set in a future that looks like the 70's!!

That reminds me of a funny Sci Fi movie I watched on DVD probably a few months ago, called "Space Station 76". It is very influenced by the 70's. I think you all would love it. My first nomination for a movie that should be shown at the Sci Fi Marathon is "Space Station 76"! (disco music)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:47 pm 

HorrorTriviaMaster wrote:
Ghost wrote:

That reminds me of a funny Sci Fi movie I watched on DVD probably a few months ago, called "Space Station 76". It is very influenced by the 70's. I think you all would love it. My first nomination for a movie that should be shown at the Sci Fi Marathon is "Space Station 76"! (disco music)

Space Station 76 was okay, but far from spectacular. Perhaps I would have enjoyed it more with the marathon crowd than all alone. I laughed a few times, but I'm not really sure it justified it's short runtime.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:16 am 

It's coincidental that shortly after seeing Space Station 76, I began watching a television series that has one of the cast members of the movie, the little blonde girl.

Last edited by HorrorTriviaMaster on Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:37 am 

HorrorTriviaMaster wrote:
Ghost wrote:

Sounds Fun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:05 pm 

Well, I say it every year, but GALAXY QUEST.

Also it might be fun to show an episode or two of BLACK MIRROR. My favorites are "Fifteen Million Merits," "The Entire History of You," and "White Bear." Of course, knowing that Joe has shown A Serbian Film and Irreversible, he probably prefers "The National Anthem."

I know both of these suggestions are readily available on Netflix, but then they can't all be super-rare recently unearthed 35 mm lost treasures, can they? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:56 am 

agentstinky wrote:

Also it might be fun to show an episode or two of BLACK MIRROR. My favorites are "Fifteen Million Merits," "The Entire History of You," and "White Bear." Of course, knowing that Joe has shown A Serbian Film and Irreversible, he probably prefers "The National Anthem."

I know both of these suggestions are readily available on Netflix, but then they can't all be super-rare recently unearthed 35 mm lost treasures, can they? :lol:

As long as we are on the subject, if there is anyone reading this board who has a Netflix account and has yet to check out BLACK MIRROR, you truly are doing yourself a disservice.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:42 am 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
agentstinky wrote:

As long as we are on the subject, if there is anyone reading this board who has a Netflix account and has yet to check out BLACK MIRROR, you truly are doing yourself a disservice.

Same with ZOMBEAVERS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:43 pm 

Coherence
Predestination
Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel
I'll have more later.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:39 pm 

pogo wrote:
Coherence
Predestination
I'll have more later.

The Infinite Man is another interesting little flick.

Tough to guess whether The Infinite Man or Coherence would play better at the marathon. I think I liked Coherence a bit more, but you'd better not play that movie too late. Playing it after 10pm could be a big headache for some folks.

Predestination was outstanding.

What "big" recent movie would you like to see next year? Would you rather watch Edge of Tomorrow again or Interstellar?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:45 am 

pogo wrote:
Coherence
Predestination
I'll have more later.

DEFINITELY seconded on Coherence, haven't seen the others.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:00 pm 

A few more.
Admittedly some may have been shown in Columbus previously.
Lathe of Heaven (1980 version)
Man Facing Southeast (Never seen it. But when LA & scottz agree - - -
Being John Malkovich

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:06 pm 

Astonishingly, I don't think any of those three have ever played in Columbus.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:43 am 

I watched Jupiter Ascending over the weekend and I think it would play well to the Sci-Fi Marathon Crowd. Lots of action and visually stunning.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:30 am 

A nice piece of cheese never hurts.
How about Hell Comes to Frogtown in tribute to Roddy?