The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:24 pm 

I really can't believe Flash Gordon is out of print (though I already knew it was) - it just seems like such a seminal film.

I'm pretty sure we still have a VHS copy taped off of HBO many years ago lying around somewhere.

If it gets reissued on DVD, I'm definitely going to pick it up... but I'm not going to drop $50+ just to get it now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:33 pm 

*dances my dvd in front of you tauntingly*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:37 pm 

Jack can you resize your Jon Lovitz image it's to big :shock:

As for Flash Gordon:

Rent it + Burn it = save 50.00 (Ah Ah)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:40 pm 

usinoh wrote:
Jack can you resize your image it's to big.

As for Flash Gordon:

1. I noticed that right away, if you hadn't been on here while I was goofing around, no one else would have. :P

2. And while you are at it, go run some red lights and steal a couple cartons of cigarettes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:39 pm 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
usinoh wrote:
Jack can you resize your image it's to big.

As for Flash Gordon:

1. I noticed that right away, if you hadn't been on here while I was goofing around, no one else would have. :P

2. And while you are at it, go run some red lights and steal a couple cartons of cigarettes.

I would NEVER do that, smoking causes cancer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:10 pm 

Monster Squad will be coming out on DVD in October. They just had a reunion at Monstermania in Cherry Hill,NJ. Most of the actors are on Myspace if you want to speak to the sources.
If you go to conventions like Cinema Wasteland,Chiller THeatre,Motor City Con,Fangoria,DragonCon,etc. you can find Flash Gordon,Galaxy of Terror,Robotrix,etc. very easily.
The Asian titles are available pretty much over on Henderson Road on the other side of Seafood Japan. I believe they are called E Day Video and sell original DVDs of almost everything Asian. Make sure you have a region free through. Alot of the Chinese titles are Region 3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:49 am 

Thanks for all the info guys! There’s a Cinema Wasteland coming soon, and it’s not too far from me. Maybe I’ll check it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:23 am 

I just bought a copy of CHOPPING MALL on DVD from ebay for 7.99 including shipping. I am going to send it to Kelli Maroney and see if she will sign it along with Night of the Comet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:01 pm 

OHH YEAHHH...I got my "Frankenstein meets The Space Monster" DVD in the mail today! The cover looks like they hired a second rate mall airbrush artist to illustrate, but I put it in my computer to preview for a minute and the transfer is surprisingly good! (no focus problems here!) It's an anmorphic widescreen transfer! The disc includes a trailer and still gallery and get this... a 14 page booklet detailing the history and making of the film! hehe. The opening menu is pretty cool too.. We get to see Dr. Nadir right away, turn to the camera and deliver the line..."And now..MAXIMUM ENERGY!"

I'm going to have a good time this weekend reliving this one. I'll think of you all and wish you were there in my living room.

-Ryan
(Sanctuary)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:35 am 
Site Admin

Infra-Kid wrote:
The Asian titles are available pretty much over on Henderson Road on the other side of Seafood Japan. I believe they are called E Day Video and sell original DVDs of almost everything Asian. Make sure you have a region free through. Alot of the Chinese titles are Region 3.

Alternatively, you can pick up a DVD player that can be...*cough*...set to region free. I got a Philips DVP5960 at Best Buy for around $60 and the little guy can be set to region free by looking up the codes on the net. It plays DVDs. DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, (S)VCD, DivX, CDs, MP3s, Jpegs, and even some mpgs/avis and so on. It even has a spot for a flash drive and can read directly from that (although the access speed for this option isn't the fastest). The UI isn't spectacular, but for the cheap price and all the options I really do highly recommend this model if you do imports and the like...

As for that shop Infra-Kid, I seriously need to get off my butt and check it out...It sounds like it might be a really nice option to feed my Japanese cinema/music vid habits. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:40 am 

MarathonVet wrote:
Thanks for all the info guys! There’s a Cinema Wasteland coming soon, and it’s not too far from me. Maybe I’ll check it out.

You just missed one a couple of weeks ago, I posted about it in the 'Where was the kaboom' forum, but there will be another in October though, so start saving your pennies! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:25 am 

Yes,the Cinema Wasteland show was a couple weeks ago and one of the best times ever except for getting my pizza stolen.

Kelli is real cool and will be at the Burbank Fangoria show for you diehard horror fans.

Getting a region free DVD player is oh so easy now. If you go to Big Lots,just pick up a Protron 800 for $20 and I'll email you the hack and you are ready to go. I've had mine for 2 years and it works like a champ. I was just at the Delaware Flea Market and someone had them there real cheap,too. Or just to to www.Nerd-Out.com. They have hacks there to make almost any DVD player region free.

Also,there's a real cool toy show next Sunday at Vet's Memorial. I got a Voltron Castle and figures there ALL for $30. Talk about a deal.

Motor City Con in Novi,MI is also coming up in a couple weeks. If you are not going to Burbank Fangoria or Monstermania in NJ,you might want to go there. Total blast and lots of rarities floating around.

For all your Asian DVD needs make sure you go to the store over on Henderson/Kenny. Support them. Cheaper than most of the conventions around,so go stock up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:29 am 

I too love Japanese music. The Plastics and Pink Lady. Even Tomita and Yellow Magic Orchestra. I got the Plastics DVD/CD live stuff from Tower.com Also got a load of German stuff from them.
Got my Daemonia/Goblin Live DVD/CD comps from Footlight.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:33 am 

And for a Kelli Maroney triple feature get The Zero Boys. Very The FInal Terror/Just Before Dawn/The Prey. And for Kelli uberfans The Scream Queen Hollywood Hot Tub Party. Guys won't go to work for weeks.