The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boston Announces - - -
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:10 pm 

Their first three films for their February 14 Marathon.

John Carpenter's THEY LIVE

BIG ASS SPIDER

EX MACHINA

Link:
http://sf.theboard.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1444929364

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:05 am 

Fourth Marathon film announced:

A TRIP TO MARS - Rare Danish 1918 silent. Will be shown with LIVE music by Jeff Rapsis!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:45 am 

And two more - -

ARROWHEAD
(2016) Aussie SciFi winner! Stranded a man faces more than loneliness.

POLDER
(2015) A reality bending neuro-game dangerously lures a widow deeper. From Switzerland

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:56 pm 

Those two are Festival only, NOT part of the Marathon.
pogo wrote:
And two more - -

ARROWHEAD
(2016) Aussie SciFi winner! Stranded a man faces more than loneliness.

POLDER
(2015) A reality bending neuro-game dangerously lures a widow deeper. From Switzerland

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:46 am 

I should have been clearer. I should have included the caveat on your post at the Boston site as to which event the films were (probably) for.
Any more announcements due?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:24 pm 

We're trying to do 3 a month. So, another two should drop soon.

:wink:

pogo wrote:
I should have been clearer. I should have included the caveat on your post at the Boston site as to which event the films were (probably) for.
Any more announcements due?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:01 pm 

NEVER LET ME GO has been added to the Marathon lineup.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Let_Me_Go_(2010_film)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:25 pm 

With an addition, Festival Announcements seem to be:

DUAL CITY
POLDER
THE PHOENIX INCIDENT
DREAMS REWIRED
ARROWHEAD
Festival showings are during the week previous to their Marathon.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:00 pm 

Idiocracy, a 20006 film written and directed by Mike Judge of Beavis and Butthead fame was just mentioned on the Boston board for their marathon. It wasn't a formal announcement and sounded a little tentative. Since the movie was originally abandoned by FOX, perhaps it won't come through.
The movie stars Luke Wilson and Maya Rudolph. It was originally fairly well received, getting a 76% from Rotten Tomatoes.
When I read the plot description, it sounded a lot like an old story by Cyril Kornbluth, The marching Morons.
Here's a link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:35 pm 

According to an update on the Boston Facebook page from 2 hours ago, the films booked (so far) for SF41, the 24 hour Boson science fiction film marathon, noon Feb 14th to noon Feb 15th are:
Ex-Machina (2015) Big Ass Spider (2013) They Live (1988) A Trip To Mars, silent film with live music accompaniment (1917) Never Let Me Go (2010) Idiocracy (2006) High Treason, the recently rediscovered sound version (1929) Donovan's Brain (1953) & Starman, a rare 70mm showing (1984).
Tickets are $64.50 or $125. for the Marathon plus the preceding Festival (Includes preferred seating.)

Even though you'd expect that most Columbus fans, and certainly most viewers here, are familiar with the bulk of the Boston schedule, it is sad to compare their eclectic list of pop, retro and obscure with the absolutely mainstream choices on the Cleveland list.

Cleveland used to be more creative. Perhaps older stuff & rarities aren't available unless you have the pull and connections of Boston. Anyone want to comment?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:06 pm 
Site Admin

pogo wrote:
Perhaps older stuff & rarities aren't available unless you have the pull and connections of Boston. Anyone want to comment?

Boston does have an exceptional projection setup, able to handle reel-to-reel archival prints as well as full 70mm capabilities. I'm not sure what CWRU is using for 35mm, but I didn't think they had reel-to-reel.

That opens a lot of doors for a lot of more obscure titles.

I'm a little bit dubious on IDIOCRACY. Given the details of distribution, I know prints are an extreme rarity and FOX has been particularly reluctant to authorize DVD screenings on most of their titles. Maybe they've turned around a DCP but I hadn't heard news of it.

CWRU's lineup is certainly more ... yeah, I guess "mainstream" is a good word for it. Though they've got a few titles in there that definitely help make up for it this year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:03 pm 

Boston's up to 12 now with the additions of
Pitch Black (2000)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) &
THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH! (1976)
(Yeah I know. Columbus was there first.)

Never liked The Man Who Fell - - -
But I know ya sorta gotta - -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:39 pm 

pogo wrote:
THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH! (1976)
(Yeah I know. Columbus was there first.)

Nope! Our announcement was several hours before the copycatting in Ohio. :P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:34 pm 

Sure. Just like Boston is the "Oldest Genre Marathon." :roll: (A claim since - - - "amended")
LA.
Good to see that you're keeping up on all of our several obscure Ohio media announcements. :shock:

Of course the real question is whose mind came first. The savants of Columbus or the combined power of la (LA?) land & New England. 8)

As an appreciator of Mr. Bowie, but not of this specific film, I do find the commonality of decision making interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:51 pm 

Don't forget, we were "copycats" with Starman as well, although our print is only half as big as theirs...