The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:13 pm 

I know appearance fees can be murder! That was why I thought the ones I suggested or others like them would be more reasonable since they do not have much in the line of careers right now. Nolan would be great, as would Michael York or Jennifer Agutter, since she was also An American Werewolf in London.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:00 pm 

Just looked at this thread.
Like the ideas about guests. Since I don't have the foggiest about who might be available, don't have any suggestions. I would be willing to hector attendees to pay a free will offering to support a guest fee. I'd also be willing to pay extra to support such a fee.

I do, however, have a strong reaction to the suggestion of Jason X.
NO!!!
There are two marathons in Columbus run by pretty much the same crew. Most of said crew obviously enjoy horror. I won't comment on their bathroom habits or possible terrors visited on them when they were impressionable babes that shaped their warped tastes. Or the psychic malformation of attendees to both thons - who implicitly deny the clear superiority of the SF genre.
I would say however that while there is excellent Science Fiction that has horror elements (and presumably horror that incorporates SF - I'm no expert.)
THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING.
I can't honestly say that I'd boycott, but I would be obnoxious and significantly nasty to any and all who made the choice of a horror, and specifically a slasher film, at a science fiction festival.
Cleveland is showing a Lovecraft tribute film this year. Fine. Nosferatu, Dracula, or even A Werewolf in London has redeeming overlap content.
But if you want slashers, you should find them at an event that is geared to the genre.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:15 am 

Are you serious? I'm not one to defend Jason X generally, but it is technically a science-fiction film. It takes place on a spaceship in the future. Jason runs around and does his thing, but it's in SPACE. It may not fit your high standards of the genre, but it is technically SF as well as horror.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:49 am 

Wow Pogo tell us how you really feel. Well if JASON X does show at the SF Marathon and you decide to Boycott the event I will be more than Happy to give Bruce and Joe the money for the ticket you would have purchased otherwise.

The marathons are supposed to be about FUN not a place for pretentious film snobs to gather and look down on the those who enjoy "Bad" movies. If your looking to see Pure Sci-Fi only your at the wrong event.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:09 pm 

Ghost,
My actual threat was not to boycott, but to be obnoxious and nasty. If you knew me you would know that is not a big stretch.
I was expressing my so called sense of humor when I credited a taste for horror to childhood trauma or bad bathroom habits.
Or for that matter, other than the attempted humor, saying that JX and slashers generally were anything other than things that have their own festival.
And I was not being a snob about "Bad" films. Or purity. If you had the misfortune to look at the countdown list I did last year of what I thought were the best 100 SF films, it sure as hell wasn't about "Purity". If you knew the crap that I enjoy , you would be able to question my taste or judgement, but not that I am a snob.

And in response to Wolf, I was aware that JX took place in space.
But the fact of content that makes it "technically a science-fiction film" doesn't change its basic nature. It is a slasher film.

edit:
"Earth Girls Are Easy" is technically a musical, a comedy, and a romance, and a sex farce.
But you wouldn't expect to see it at a festival of any of those sorts of movies, because it's basically a SF film, that has all of those additional facets.
Of course my dislike for slashers influenced my comment. I don't find them "fun"
Dr. Strangeglove is a comedy/social satire that has the form of science fiction and you wouldn't find me crabbing about that. I believe that I put it into my top 20 best SF ever made. But the content fits the genre. And comedy/social satire doesn't have its own festival.
If Joe or other programmers genuinely think that a slasher would make the SF festival more "fun" to old or new audience members, well they run the thing. I sure as hell don't have to watch every selection.
But I still think that you are talking about two basic types of films. Each has its own event...

edit: I did go back and look at the lineups from five and more years ago, before I started attending Columbus. There are a few films that are pretty clearly horror first and SF secondarily. (Chopping Mall) Few that qualify as slashers. I am probably howling at the moon.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:26 am 

Well, I strongly doubt that Jason X will show at the marathon, so I don't think you will ever have to worry about watching it. But films can be more than one thing. Just as Alien is sci-fi and horror, Jason X is sci-fi, horror and a slasher film. Earth Girls are Easy can easily be considered all of the things you said and more (some would argue that it tries to be too many things). But my point is, there are movies that fit into more than one category and/or genre. Would Jason X be better at the horror marathon? Maybe. But one can make a case for it being sci-fi as well. With your anti-horror stance, I'm guessing you haven't actually seen it. It's not a great film, but it's a fun film that is different in many ways from the other Friday/Jason pictures, in large part because of its sci-fi setting. Then again, I haven't seen it since 2001, so maybe I'm remembering it wrong. But I don't think so.

But again, I doubt that it will ever be shown, so all of this is irrelevant. I'm wondering what turned you against the horror genre so radically. Horror films can be great fun, especially with a crowd, and the best ones tap into something primal. One can dislike "Slasher films" and still like the genre as a whole. I think you would have a great time at the horror marathons, as they are largely slasher-free. Joe tends to focus on getting quality horror films rather than the usual junk.

With that said, I'd like to see Ex Machina at this year's sci-fi marathon and The Green Inferno at the horror marathon as I missed both in theaters. Just a couple of suggestions.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:37 pm 

Wolf,
Nice post.
Actually, except for purposes of hyperbole, I am not dead set against horror. When, after the fact, I saw the list for 2014 SH06 I was sorry that I had missed it. (Except for Texas Chainsaw--- at the end) Most of the other Shocks, no regrets.
You are correct that in your assumption that it ain't horror per se that turns me off. It's casual sadism, degradation and enjoyment of blood.
On my post about the CWRU Marathon (This Friday!!! Y'all come!) I described Whisperer In The Darkness as "Fun". Admittedly, it's pretty mild. And of course what could be called horror elements is one of the things that gives one of my favorite films of all time, Aliens, its oomph.
Too much continuous violence can also get to me. A few years ago the SF Marathon had several huge smash violent flicks and what I felt was a preponderance of flics that depended on that as their main feature. It wasn't any specific film (although Judge Dredd is, IMHO, a piece of sh!t) but the overall balance. Commented on that here. Huge back & forths, and even the honchos commented.
Anyway.
Thanks for your thoughtful response.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:23 pm 

Just remembered that Boston had Douglas Trumbell a couple of years ago as a guest. Does a guest like him cost that much? How did Boston get him as a guest? Good connections? Could we get someone similar for next years marathon in Columbus? If someone has knowledge of this, please share!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:10 pm 

Trumbull was this past February.

A few things in Boston's favor -

-- The ability to show a 70mm print of 2001

-- Having a Festival preceding the Marathon. Trumbull did a separate admission symposium the night before the Marathon

-- Trumbull is now based in Massachusetts, saving on airfare etc.

murph wrote:
Just remembered that Boston had Douglas Trumbell a couple of years ago as a guest. Does a guest like him cost that much? How did Boston get him as a guest? Good connections? Could we get someone similar for next years marathon in Columbus? If someone has knowledge of this, please share!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:27 pm 

Thanks for sharing the info! I have been wanting to go Boston for the marathon for years but the opportunity has eluded me. One day maybe! Just happy to have been attending the Ohio scifi marathon since #5 at the Drexel North!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:00 am 

scottcoz wrote:
And, oh yea, not just SHOW Logan's Run, but also go all out making it one of the central themes for decorating that year....

Ankh's and lifeclocks all over the place, staff dressed up as Sandmen, and, of course....
Giant hand sculpture with palm crystal in the lobby:

YES!!!! Make it happen! I also agree with the guest appearance idea. Drexel WOULD lose a ton of money for such in demand guests. I would love to see William Nolan. I think one idea to celebrate the 30th anniversary is one that I have mentioned a few times on the forums........the very first ticket sold would be a GOLDEN TICKET......you know, like in a certain movie about a famous candy maker having a contest where children must find one of a few special candy bars.... ;) ;) Anyways, what's this about "time travel"? See Joe, THIS is why and Bruce you need to write a book about the marathons, so that you can include all the juicy, yummy details of marathons past. I only wish I had attended every marathon since the very first one. :(

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:56 pm 

And Jason X is officially on the list for this years thon! Let the angst and anguish loose!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:44 pm 

WolfNC17 wrote:
Well, I strongly doubt that Jason X will show at the marathon, so I don't think you will ever have to worry about watching it.

Oops. Oh, that wacky Joe and Bruce... you can never peg down their programming philosophy! :)

Well, Pogo... since this news will probably make you unhappy, can I offer to take you out for dinner during Jason X?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:10 am 

Oops indeed. I really never thought it would actually happen. Who knew?

For those who really can't stand the thought of watching this film, know that there is humor in it. And Lexa Doig's cleavage. So you can just stare at that if you really hate the film. And David Cronenberg is in it for some reason. Let the bodies hit the floor... whatever that means.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:27 am 

scottcoz wrote:
Well, Pogo... since this news will probably make you unhappy, can I offer to take you out for dinner during Jason X?

Sounds interesting. Just be aware that I like my steak bloody.